Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Inland Empire Aluminum Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inland Empire Aluminum Driveshaft

Ok the shop that is building my High Horsepower Camaro is recommending that I get an Inland Empire Aluminum Driveshaft with new Yoke. I have the Moser 12 Bolt and he said that they will have to change the yoke in the rear end because its too small for the larger U joint to withstand the power. Is anyone here have one of these and if so how much power are you putting down. I need something that will be able to handle 1000rwhp+ if need be. I just have never heard of them, the main ones from this site that I have heard of are Denny's Nitrous Driveshaft, Dynotech Chromoly Driveshaft and the PST Driveshaft. In your opinion what is the best one out of the three. Bob, of course what is your opinion, I know you sell the PST with Yoke but want to know your opinion on the others. I have read that you dont recommend a chromoly one. Thanks everyone ahead of time. In case it matters its hooked to a TH400 Tranny. He also said that the Inland Empire Aluminum Driveshaft is what the Pro Stock guys are running.

Last edited by LS2Camaro; 12-22-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run the PST several P/S, P/M cars run there driveshaft without any problems.
They are all great Driveshafts from where I stand I have never seen a bad PST go through the shop.

Brent
Old 12-22-2007, 04:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Brent. So what is the highest horsepower car you have installed a PST on, or have seen a PST on? I see on the site that you have installed it on a 1200hp car, is that 1200 to the wheels? Also how long ago and is that car tracked if you happen to know? I just cant seem to find anywhere where these drive shafts "officially" are rated at HP wise. I will be putting some serious horses to the wheels and want this done right the first time. Can you PM me a quote on a PST with 1350 Yoke with U Joint please? Thanks
Old 12-23-2007, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS2Camaro
Thanks Brent. So what is the highest horsepower car you have installed a PST on, or have seen a PST on? I see on the site that you have installed it on a 1200hp car, is that 1200 to the wheels? Also how long ago and is that car tracked if you happen to know? I just cant seem to find anywhere where these drive shafts "officially" are rated at HP wise. I will be putting some serious horses to the wheels and want this done right the first time. Can you PM me a quote on a PST with 1350 Yoke with U Joint please? Thanks
The 1200hp is a general rating, on a heavy car it would be less.

We have ran the standard pst shaft in Bobs race car, not sure on power level but it trapped 146 so far.

The U-joints are usualy 1350 unless you ask for something else.

The pst's are $430+shipping , any length.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Inland Empire driveshaft in my 10-bolt. Of course, I'm not pushing anywhere near 1000 hp The piece they make for the 10-bolt is very, very nice though. Not sure what one of their larger driveshafts would be like, but I'd recommend their aluminum one for a stock replacement in a 10-bolt any day.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
The 1200hp is a general rating, on a heavy car it would be less.

We have ran the standard pst shaft in Bobs race car, not sure on power level but it trapped 146 so far.

The U-joints are usualy 1350 unless you ask for something else.

The pst's are $430+shipping , any length.
What weight would be your definition of a "heavy" car? I dont have any final numbers yet of course but think my car will be able to trap 150+, no shortcuts or expenses spared on this car. This is why I want to make absolutely sure that the driveshaft will be able to handle 1000+rwhp. The PST's are fully warrantied right? What happens if it causes other components to break if it does fail, would it cover the other components? I would like to hear from customers that are running these driveshafts pushing them to the limits and not having any issues. Thanks Jake for responding.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

What weight would be your definition of a "heavy" car? I dont have any final numbers yet of course but think my car will be able to trap 150+, no shortcuts or expenses spared on this car. This is why I want to make absolutely sure that the driveshaft will be able to handle 1000+rwhp. The PST's are fully warrantied right? What happens if it causes other components to break if it does fail, would it cover the other components? I would like to hear from customers that are running these driveshafts pushing them to the limits and not having any issues. Thanks Jake for responding.
The Inland Empire is a good driveshaft. Several guys I know run them in their 8 sec cars.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:39 PM
FormerVendor

A heavy car would be 4000~+ area , around there it would not be a bad idea to get a steel shaft made up. I would not hesitate to run this shaft in anything i would build, top notch product with a great company to stand behind it.

As for warranty, the u-joints are lifetime, the shaft is as well. As for them covering anything else, i doubt it, this is racing. Just be sure to have a loop and get the right length.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
A heavy car would be 4000~+ area , around there it would not be a bad idea to get a steel shaft made up. I would not hesitate to run this shaft in anything i would build, top notch product with a great company to stand behind it.

As for warranty, the u-joints are lifetime, the shaft is as well. As for them covering anything else, i doubt it, this is racing. Just be sure to have a loop and get the right length.
Ok thank you.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

I have an Inland Empire aluminum driveshaft in my nine-second NHRA Super Stock car. No problems. They build a quality part. A couple of my friends have SS/AH Hemi Barracudas that make over 900 horsepower and run mid-eights. Their IE shafts have been totally reliable. It's a good idea to check any aluminum shaft periodically to make sure there are no nicks or dings that could become stress risers.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cnorton
I have an Inland Empire aluminum driveshaft in my nine-second NHRA Super Stock car. No problems. They build a quality part. A couple of my friends have SS/AH Hemi Barracudas that make over 900 horsepower and run mid-eights. Their IE shafts have been totally reliable. It's a good idea to check any aluminum shaft periodically to make sure there are no nicks or dings that could become stress risers.
Thanks for the info. This will for sure be a track car and will be pushing the limits. So no problems running mid-eights with them? Sounds great. Hopefully I will be pushing low 9's, we shall see. Again thanks.

Quick Reply: Inland Empire Aluminum Driveshaft