Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Metal Matrix (Alum) driveshaft or Steel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Metal Matrix (Alum) driveshaft or Steel?

Gonna order a DS from Dennys, they have two driveshafts that I'm looking at, a steel one for $345 and a aluminum (metal matrix) ds for $460, which weighs 7lb less.

My question is, is it worth it to spend the extra $$$ to buy the aluminum one? Both carry lifetime guarantees so breaking is not an issue.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Metal Matrix (Alum) driveshaft or Steel?

7 lbs of rotating weight is worth several horsepower both in actual acceleration and on a dyno. "Speed costs money....how fast can you afford to go?" I'd buy the metal matrix every time.....Good luck!
Old 07-03-2003, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
Old 07-07-2003, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Metal Matrix with the Billet slip yoke and it's pretty light. I recommend it because of the strength and weight savings.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is from Denny's website:

"We can put one of these into your Street Rod as well as your Drag Car and you can enjoy the benefits of lightweight reliability. Please note...we DO NOT offer our “twist it or break it” replacement with any aluminum driveshafts. We only offer this with our steel driveshafts."

Also this,

"What this means is, not all applications can utilize a 6061-T6 Aluminum driveshaft successfully. We do not recommend that you use an aluminum shaft in heavy high performance vehicles or race cars with clutches or trans brakes. Heavyweight vehicles, 3400 lbs or greater, with clutches or trans brakes should stick with the track proven abilities of our NITROUS READY steel driveshafts. High performance street cars and the lightweight race cars can reap the benefits of DENNY'S HD ALUMINUM at a very reasonable cost."

So they recommend the steel drive shaft unless you have a lightweight car, but even then they won't replace if you break the HD Alum shaft.

Just thought I'd pass it along, as I've been looking in this area as well.

Randy
Old 07-08-2003, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

If they don't warranty it, there is a reason (I was under the assumption that they did...based on the original post). The only thing worse than over weight parts that cost horsepower, is putting a lightweight part through the floor when it breaks....For your application, I'll change my recommendation to steel.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unfortunately I already ordered the aluminum one on Thursday of last week, and it shipped out yesterday. I can always refuse to accept delivery but they might not like that too much . Seriously though, is it worth it for me to send it back for the steel one? And what would happen if I just refused to accept delivery...?
Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you refuse it, they get billed for it both ways. Usually this means that they will not be in a hurry to ship you anything else, or they will bill you for freight 3 times (out and back, and shipping on the new one). I used to work for a mail order company, and that didn't go over too well with us.

What did Dennys recommend? They build 'em, they'll know what it takes to break 'em. It is still my preference for the metal matrix, but I'm not a drag racer and I'll never drop the clutch at 6000 on slicks.....
Old 07-09-2003, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

If price wasnt an issue ($700+) how do you guys feel about the carbon fiber option? I heard those are extremely strong unless struck by an object. Also lighter than aluminum.