Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Breaking in a 9" Moser rear end...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Breaking in a 9" Moser rear end...

Any specific way to break these in? I would expect to hear no clutch drops or burnouts for at least 500-1000 miles right? Should i drive all highway for extended periods of time?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's BS! I would make a 15 minute trip to get something to eat after you get done with your test drive and then bring it back and let the car cool for 5-6 hours. Then do it one more time. I didnt try to get on it for the first 100 miles just to let a few more heat cycles naturally go through. To be honest, I launched mine 125 miles after and it was the ****! Just understand you just added alot more weight to the rear so I hope you got gears or plan on having 410-450 hsp.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

I ordered the 4.11 gears in it and am running probably 330-350 rwhp with my setup. In the future i will end up putting a blown 383 stroker in it though. Will it still pull really good? With the 10 bolt it blew the tires off in 1st and second gear all the way to redline.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:18 AM
Staging Lane

ya i need the same questioned answered
Old 03-26-2008, 05:03 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I highly doubt you are going to notice the weight difference, it just isn't that much of an increase.

We advise putting 500 miles on the rear before going wide open throttle, to fully allow the gears to break in. Understandably most people just can't wait this long... lol Bob
Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 AM
FormerVendor

Yes, breakin is necessary. Here is a link to our site with appropriate breakin information...

http://www.jawsgear.com/tech_faq.php

Jeff
Old 03-26-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

What is your reccommendations when breaking in everything at once?

Hence...... new engine, trans and rear? I mean you have to go WOT to tune it right and properly break in the motor or am I wrong?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

NO! You need a baseline tune and the motor should have atleast a two heat cycles through it especially with new valvesprings. Trans kinda just a heat cycle thing and letting it get fluid though it. I would never WOT the car with a new motor before atleast 1 heat cycle. I would hate to see it wreak havoc on you valvespring.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by linegtdt52
NO! You need a baseline tune and the motor should have atleast a two heat cycles through it especially with new valvesprings. Trans kinda just a heat cycle thing and letting it get fluid though it. I would never WOT the car with a new motor before atleast 1 heat cycle. I would hate to see it wreak havoc on you valvespring.
Ok, besides a couple heat cycles............ I obviously meant that and should have stated that. What I meant was, after a couple heat cycles, etc and a base tune to get her running. The car is than more or less ready for a WOT tune, I know its a long process until its finally broke in but WOT is needed to seat the rings correctly and more so in FI engines. If there is some beating on the car than obviously the trans and rear will be taking it too is why I only asked. To break in everything properly all at the same time after the intial base tune and the car ready for the road.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:20 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Websy21
Ok, besides a couple heat cycles............ I obviously meant that and should have stated that. What I meant was, after a couple heat cycles, etc and a base tune to get her running. The car is than more or less ready for a WOT tune, I know its a long process until its finally broke in but WOT is needed to seat the rings correctly and more so in FI engines. If there is some beating on the car than obviously the trans and rear will be taking it too is why I only asked. To break in everything properly all at the same time after the intial base tune and the car ready for the road.
Yes indeed, we get four or five heat cycles on the rear, an get the base tune done, then we start the engine break in. Even though we eventually go wide open throttle during this process, the rear is not seeing much stress. We don't get on it from a standing start, going wide open throttle on the dyno from 30 mph-up is not going to stress the rear. Bob