Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Detroit Tru Trac Problems!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Detroit Tru Trac Problems!!!!!!

Ok So i want to know if anybody else has had problems with there tru-trac's. I have a Moser 9'' with the tru-trac and im not sure, but i think it took a **** in its pants. When i turn left under a load it pops real bad. If im coasting and turning left it does nothing. im pretty sure Its the posi unit but I could be wrong. Nobody can seem to tell me what it is, but thats my only idea. Can anybody give me a link to where i can get a new one, or possibly put me in contact with somebody whos smarter then me and would have some good advise?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Odd, Ive beat mines *** at the track with 26in hoosiers and its still fine. But mine does make some noise in sharp corners, nothing extreme, this is my first worm gear style posi so it might be normal. Call bob at EPP or Moser.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not really impressed with mine other than it is totally transparent. Even with tight turns and slight throttle you don't hear a peep. Yours sounds broken. I have tried the half on gravel half on road and the traditional clutched posi seemed better. I could be wrong and I will admit that.

I am not sure it was worth the extra money. I don't like the way the 12 bolt unit is set up either. They are also a lot heavier than a posi. I don't totally look down on the thing... just ehhhhhh was it worth it?

Each to their own!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stang Killer
Ok So i want to know if anybody else has had problems with there tru-trac's. I have a Moser 9'' with the tru-trac and im not sure, but i think it took a **** in its pants. When i turn left under a load it pops real bad. If im coasting and turning left it does nothing. im pretty sure Its the posi unit but I could be wrong. Nobody can seem to tell me what it is, but thats my only idea. Can anybody give me a link to where i can get a new one, or possibly put me in contact with somebody whos smarter then me and would have some good advise?
Welcome to my world>>>>>I have the exact same issue....Doesn't matter if I turn right or left....Only under low rpm......I can dump the clutch off the limiter and it's fine......Been this way for about 6 months..

About 30 passes and 10k street miles...Bob at EPP wants me to send the tird member to moser, but this is my daily driver....Can't be down that long...

I feel ya pain
Old 06-13-2008, 04:13 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of torque arm to you have? If it is the factory one, take a look at it to make sure it is not bending. Check this link out. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...php?service=58
When the torque arm is either loose or slightly bent, it will make this popping noise in turns. It may indeed be your Truetrac, but check out the torque arm. Bob
Old 06-13-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

well it seems like it does it with the revolutions off the wheels...allmost like a patern. Sounds like its every 2 revolutions it pops just like clockwork, and its pretty loud.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:00 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Well... I havent broken a TrueTrac but i did roast a Torsen T2R last season and you know what? A couple of weeks before it completely went BOOOM!!! It was popping when i turned. Pretty damn loud too I was so concerned when it first started making noise I pulled the diff cover off to inspect and I couldn't see anything wrong either with the fluid or with the unit itself so I replaced the fluid with a heavier type and went at it again. After a week or so of regular street driving it pretty much seemed to stop so I chalked it up as heat or lighter lube causing bind and carried on as normal. The next trip to the track on my first pass launching at 5500 RPM the thing let go like an atom bomb! The bang was so loud and violent the tree master jumped out of his shoes and left a little pile where he was standing haha. The damn thing wouldnt even move she was toast so I trailered it home and took the guts out and I had stripped both side gears and tore up pretty much everything to do with the coupling action. This time the fluid was all shavings.

I was pretty surprised that considering it was clearly hurt there was no metal evidence on my first inspection. I guess I probably just cracked or ripped a tooth or two off the side gears and when i lined up the next time at the track it was probably sitting right on the stripped part and thats why it went. Who knows exactly I'm just guessing at that part but the important thing is if your getting bind and very loud popping noises coming out of a helical carrier I'd say the unit is on the way out man sorry.

I should also note that there is no such thing as unbreakable so before a bunch of TrueTrac hating threads fire up its just the way it is when you race stuff breaks period. I feel bad for you Stang Killer I know how it feels but I'm sure you'll get it sorted and be back in action in no time. Lots of other guys have had great success with this diff but theres been a few failures
Old 06-13-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks man! yea now i just gotta find a cheap replacement i guess.. any ideas?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:08 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I know there will be lots of opinions on what to run but aside from wearing out clutches the good ol' T-Loc is hard to beat for street and track abuse. In almost every case its a one wheel peel failure rather than a complete meltdown. Even then a new set of clutches and your back in action. Just be sure to look for one with a billet hat
Old 06-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Check your driveshaft length