Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

* Need help, just bought used 12 Bolt. *

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default * Need help, just bought used 12 Bolt. *

Alright guys, I just bought a used Moser 12 Bolt and need to know what I need to install it. The rear came out of a 02' Trans Am with traction control. It is set up for TCS so it has the 4 channel. He included a drive shaft that is to be used in a 6-speed car. I need a parts list to install this rear. I am including pictures of what I have, so you can see what I am missing. I know nothing about rear ends and a friend of mine will be helping/doing the install for me. I just want to make sure I have all the parts we need before I rip the car apart. I don't even know what kind of fliud I should use in this rear, does it need the additive? As always, thanks for the help guys. Here are the specs and pics:

3.73 gear Eaton True Trac differential, 4-channel ABS, 33-spline axles
Attached Thumbnails * Need help, just bought used 12 Bolt. *-237a_12.jpg   * Need help, just bought used 12 Bolt. *-rear-end-001.jpg   * Need help, just bought used 12 Bolt. *-rear-end-002.jpg   * Need help, just bought used 12 Bolt. *-rear-end-003.jpg   * Need help, just bought used 12 Bolt. *-rear-end-004.jpg  

* Need help, just bought used 12 Bolt. *-rear-end-005.jpg  
Old 07-14-2008, 05:22 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moser installation instructions. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1263 Bob
Old 07-14-2008, 05:58 AM
TECH Resident

By looking at that, it looks like I need wheel bearings and a press ring. Will the press ring come with the new brearings? Also, is does not say what brand fluid I should use? It looks like I do not need the shims since my car has the newer brakes. I think I have the housing end T-bolts mentioned but I guess I need the inner housing seals? And some 3 inch muffler clamps? Thanks, keep them coming.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:09 AM
TECH Resident

Also, what is the deal with the exciter rings. What are they and what do they do? I know it has something to do with the TCS but I don't know what. I assume you have to have them pressed onto the axle?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Also, will the stock suspension stuff be OK. Torque Arm, Panhard Rod, LCA's, and springs/shocks? Is any of this stuff a must have for the install? I will upgrade eventually but funds are currently low. TIA.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:42 AM
wrencher

Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird
Also, what is the deal with the exciter rings. What are they and what do they do? I know it has something to do with the TCS but I don't know what. I assume you have to have them pressed onto the axle?
They are the tone rings that the ABS sensors use to calculate wheel speed. You will have to get the old ones removed from your current axles & installed on the new ones.
Along with the bearings pressed & your backing plates & ABS sensors.
The stock suspension will work fine you can upgrade it later to complement the rear.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

So I need to remove my current axles and have the old exciter rings and backing plates removed. Then have the exciter rings and new bearings pressed onto my new axles. Then remove the ABS sensors from the old housing and install on the new. Is this right? Thanks for the help, please keep it coming I am clueless on this stuff.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Little help here guys. Wanting to do the install this weekend and want to make sure I know what I am doing.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird
So I need to remove my current axles and have the old exciter rings and backing plates removed. Then have the exciter rings and new bearings pressed onto my new axles. Then remove the ABS sensors from the old housing and install on the new. Is this right? Thanks for the help, please keep it coming I am clueless on this stuff.

yes, thats correct.

with a little heat you should be able to put the reluctor rings on yourself. they only sit on a small lip.

EDIT: if those are the axels you got with the 12 bolt in the picture, then they already have reluctor rings and bearings on them.

or maybe its just the rings.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:39 AM
wrencher

It does look like the rings are on there. The backing plates need to be put on the the bearings pressed. Then you can assemble the rear.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

So the exciter rings are those things that have the teeth around them in the 4th picture from the left? Thanks guys, I'm sure this will make more since when I take the 10 bolt apart.