Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

Help with 1-pc driveshaft!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 02:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with 1-pc driveshaft!!

Hey all,
I was wondering if someone around here has a 1-piece driveshaft installed? I got mine in about 3 weeks ago, and so far Im not enjoying it. I can hear and feel a faint clunk when the clutch goes in and comes out, basically when the tension gets taken off the driveline, then put back on. Im not really sure where to begin to look, Im not even certain its the driveshaft. I know the new driveshaft has billet couplers versus the rubber couplers on the stock shaft, which is why thats where Im starting, but the shaft still has a slip joint built in, so I dont see how that would cause a clunk. I did upgrade the differential bushings, but dont see that being the culprit. Anyone have any idea, or ideas on how to even check? Thanks in advance!
Adam
Old 02-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Launching!

I had that same exact clunk as you describe above. I thought either the driveshaft or the bushings...turned out it was the gears in my 9" going south. New gears and everything is golden.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

Recheck and retorque the diff bolts and driveshaft bolts.Especially the rear diff bolt.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pancherj
I had that same exact clunk as you describe above. I thought either the driveshaft or the bushings...turned out it was the gears in my 9" going south. New gears and everything is golden.
Its a brand new differential I just had built. Stock housing with Eaton TruTrac, GM 3.91 gears, Lingenfelter install kit, JRE billet endcaps, PFADT diff bushings, every bearing and race replaced, 85/140 Lucas non synthetic oil. It better not be a gear!! Lol! The only thing I did notice is when I was under the car the other day retorquing everything, I can rotate the d/s about 3/8 of an inch. Does that sound right??

Originally Posted by motion427
Recheck and retorque the diff bolts and driveshaft bolts.Especially the rear diff bolt.
The diff bolts were torqued to 85ft/lb. The d/s bolts were torqued as tight as I could with a wrench. No room to get a rachet in there unfortunately.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Teching In

What cradle bushings are running? I know some people have reported a clunking noise with pfadt dif bushings.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

Stock cradle bushings. I figured out that if I push the clutch in, shift, and let the clutch out as 3 independent movements, it didnt clunk. But when I shift as 1 fluid movement, its clunks. So what Im assuming is the billet couplers are picking up tranny noise from the gear change since I am probably just barely passing the clutch point as I shift, if that makes sense. I think Im just going to go back to stock and sell the 1-pc. Its a very faint clunk, its just something I dont want to live with. Does that seem legit??
Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Launching!

I could rotate my driveshaft too. The backlash was way too high. Either from wear or setup. It eventually pounded out my pinion support as the pinion tried to go meet the engine.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Damn it....are you kidding me? I have to rip all this **** apart again and take it back to the builder. This is why I dont let people work on my car. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

the clunk is probably the sprung clutch disk.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Im sorry, I dont understand what you're saying. Are you saying Im feeling the clutch when its engaging, or that I have a bad disk? Ill try to put up a video tomorrow of how much the d/s twists and let you guys make the call if thats a normal amount of backlash, or too much.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Launching!

You mentioned 3/8 of movement and that doesn't seem like too much. The rest of your symptoms sound eerily familiar.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

I think first and foremost Im going to take the easy route and throw the stock d/s back up to see if that alleviates the clunk. If thats the case, Ill just leave it up and sell the 1-pc. If it is still there with the stock shaft in, Im going to take it to the guy that build the carrier and see what he says. I really hope the stocker will fix the issue!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

Put the original drive shaft back in and clunk is still there. Taking car over to shop that built the differential and take them for a ride and see if they can diagnose it. It'll prolly end up being the diff bushings....God this sucks.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CamanLS1
Put the original drive shaft back in and clunk is still there. Taking car over to shop that built the differential and take them for a ride and see if they can diagnose it. It'll prolly end up being the diff bushings....God this sucks.
Besides the clunk, how does it feel with the trutrack and 3.91's?

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Have them check pinion support bushing and backlash...
Old 02-17-2014, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

I love it! I'm not going to say it's a mind blowing experience, but definitely helps the car out as a whole. Makes it feel lighter, tachs up quicker, makes it feel stronger. The trutrac is great. Took a buddy for a ride the other day and rolled into the throttle and he was impressed that I didnt have any traction issues.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard clunks on a lot of 5th gens as you discribe. Never an issue with it. Most have the shaft and axle's in them.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for chiming in Don. It's annoying to deal with, but if it's normal and not falling apart, I guess I'll call it good. Putting the stock shaft in did dampened the clunk. I went to the guy that built it and he really couldn't feel it. He said I could bring it back next week and he would put it on the lift and check it out. I still may take him up on it, just to be safe. But I know Don knows his ****, so I'm sure it's fine.

Quick Reply: Help with 1-pc driveshaft!!