Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

72 chevelle (GM A Body) Shell Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 72 chevelle (GM A Body) Shell Swap

Hi, I have been giving this a lot of thought, I own a 1972 Chevy chevelle Malibu non numbers matching no drive train fully disassembled and off the frame, been siting on my garage floor for years. If it was an factory SS numbers marching car (like my other cars) I would restore it to factory orginal but giving the current situation, parts, work needed, .. etc . I have decided to do a body swap, just retain the exterior body panels (doors, roof, fenders , qtr panels f & r bumpers, grill and front end etc ) basically similar projects were done in the past, and one that I really think that will work for me is the one that was done by West Cost Customs years ago were they fited a 1969 GTO shell (GM A Body like the 72 Chevelle) on a 2006 GTO cope with an LS1. As I am currently located in Bahrain and down here they have what they call Chevy Lumina SS that is manufactured in the GM plant out of Australia, I believe it’s called Hollden Manaro down there, anyways it’s similar to the 2006 GTO sold in US expect it’s a sedan with slightly longer wheelbase I believe 115.5 inc compared to 112 inc of the 72 Chevelle. I have the opportunity to purchase this Lumina SS for about $2,500 more or less running LSI with auto trans and in good condition, my idea is to use this as my base for my 72 Chevelle. I would appreciate any feedback on if this is a good base to use or should I use 5th gen Camaro (and insurance right off that’s beyond repair of course). Appreciate your support, and thanks for LS1Tech team for doing such a good job 👍🏻
Old 10-31-2017, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO you would be much better off going this route (or something similar)

http://www.speedtechperformance.com/...cat/cat149.htm

Unit body vehicles turn into mush when you chop away everything except the floor, and the 60's tech in the A body shell won't do anything to help.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:29 AM

Default Chevelle

Originally Posted by Kips
Hi, I have been giving this a lot of thought, I own a 1972 Chevy chevelle Malibu non numbers matching no drive train fully disassembled and off the frame, been siting on my garage2 floor for years. If it was an factory SS numbers marching car (like my other cars) I would restore it to factory orginal but giving the current situation, parts, work needed, .. etc . I have decided to do a body swap, just retain the exterior body panels (doors, roof, fenders , qtr panels f & r bumpers, grill and front end etc ) basically similar projects were done in the past, and one that I really think that will work for me is the one that was done by West Cost Customs years ago were they fited a 1969 GTO shell (GM A Body like the 72 Chevelle) on a 2006 GTO cope with an LS1. As I am currently located in Bahrain and down here they have what they call Chevy Lumina SS that is manufactured in the GM plant out of Australia, I believe it’s called Hollden Manaro down there, anyways it’s similar to the 2006 GTO sold in US expect it’s a sedan with slightly longer wheelbase I believe 115.5 inc compared to 112 inc of the 72 Chevelle. I have the opportunity to purchase this Lumina SS for about $2,500 more or less running LSI with auto trans and in good condition, my idea is to use this as my base for my 72 Chevelle. I would appreciate any feedback on if this is a good base to use or should I use 5th gen Camaro (and insurance right off that’s beyond repair of course). Appreciate your support, and thanks for LS1Tech team for doing such a good job 👍🏻
Hi

I'm thinking of the same. Any update regarding your project?

Would like to chat in details if you don't mind.
The following users liked this post:
ZT66 (10-26-2022)
Old 11-30-2020, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ali Alrashedi
Hi

It took me almost 2 years and a lot of cutting, welding, and of course planning not to mention $$, but it’s al most there getting to ready to be painted next month. Thanks
ZT66 (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 08:24 PM

Default Dude I need updates

It took me almost 2 years and a lot of cutting, welding, and of course planning not to mention $$, but it’s al most there getting to ready to be painted next month. Thanks
I bought a 2017 Camaro ss that I want to use as a base donor and was thinking of getting a 71 and doing the same thing! I’d love to connect and see how it’s going/what you’ve got! Did you reinforce and run roll bars front to back/do a cage ?Did you cut the body off from damn near the floor and weld the chevelle over it? So many questions! I’d love to check out your build sheet!
Kips (02-21-2023)
Old 10-30-2022, 02:30 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Wait, what? We need pictures please. Lots of pictures.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ali Alrashedi
Hi

check out my instagram page for more pics and updates on the build
#72chevelle.V
Old 02-21-2023, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZT66
I bought a 2017 Camaro ss that I want to use as a base donor and was thinking of getting a 71 and doing the same thing! I’d love to connect and see how it’s going/what you’ve got! Did you reinforce and run roll bars front to back/do a cage ?Did you cut the body off from damn near the floor and weld the chevelle over it? So many questions! I’d love to check out your build sheet!
sorry for the late response, but you can check out my instagram page for more information about the project.
#72chevelle.V

Quick Reply: 72 chevelle (GM A Body) Shell Swap