Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 owners have anything to fear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Muerte_X
50 less hp, a lot less tq, and quite a bit heavier. I wouldn't worry about anything.

It's the mustang GT owners that have to worry
I'm sure New Edge GT's wont have a problem. It will probablyhang with or beat a SN95 GT. thats 94-98 GT's. The 05 GT is slightly slower then an LS1 so no its in no worrie.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Some V6's will run 12's and 13's stock, but not all. Sounds like the 370Z is a stout '6, whereas the Mustang V6 is probably in the 15's. So it varies, and it's hard to generalize.

Sure 10 years from now a new GM V6 might waste a 2002 Trans Am but so long as GM offers a V6 and V8 in a Camaro the V8 will be stronger... just how they approach the market.
x2..

One thing to consider on the small litre engines...

A 3.7L V6 might make 330hp but Nissan also put a lot of time and effort into the design getting out as much power as they could leaving the 'bolt on' life limited and aftermarket costly.

My LS1 was obviously no where near it's power limits which leaves my bolt on life very satisfying and aftermarket cheap.

So you might get a V6 out of the box that beats down an LS1 stock for stock but the aftermarket might be very limited. Each setup has pros and cons..honestly with how much time I put into modding my vehicle I would probably be pretty happy with a lot of power out of the box and not as much mod potential. To each their own in that department though.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
x2..

One thing to consider on the small litre engines...

A 3.7L V6 might make 330hp but Nissan also put a lot of time and effort into the design getting out as much power as they could leaving the 'bolt on' life limited and aftermarket costly.

My LS1 was obviously no where near it's power limits which leaves my bolt on life very satisfying and aftermarket cheap.

So you might get a V6 out of the box that beats down an LS1 stock for stock but the aftermarket might be very limited. Each setup has pros and cons..honestly with how much time I put into modding my vehicle I would probably be pretty happy with a lot of power out of the box and not as much mod potential. To each their own in that department though.
nicely put.. never really thought of it that way..
Old 01-23-2009, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

good point
Old 01-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00Antivenom
This new v6 seems like a terribly monster. 300 horsepower? Really? I'm scared that the v6 will be able to take a stock LS1 off the line...anyone else feel this way?

Really??? WTF!!!

The v6 is lower than the ls1 for hp and even worse for stock! What are you thinking.

Although that strange z28/SS you have may be some different breed, not really sure as there is no such thang...
Old 01-23-2009, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Who really cares about what a stock LS1 can do. How many of our cars are even stock? Mine lasted about one month before I started changing things. Technology advances over time, so I would hope that GM's (or insert any other car maker) sports car can out handle and out run a stock car which has a basic design that is OVER 10 years old.

If you want to keep up, start modding. Otherwise, go buy a new car.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01badz28
Who really cares about what a stock LS1 can do. How many of our cars are even stock? Mine lasted about one month before I started changing things. Technology advances over time, so I would hope that GM's (or insert any other car maker) sports car can out handle and out run a stock car which has a basic design that is OVER 10 years old.

If you want to continue being top dog, start modding. Otherwise, go buy a new car.
Fixed!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by xhk651
Fixed!
haha...no kidding.. and some of us enjoy not having to fix things constantly when they break. I went through the mod bug in the LT1... wasn't really worth it.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
haha...no kidding.. and some of us enjoy not having to fix things constantly when they break. I went through the mod bug in the LT1... wasn't really worth it.
That's the one great thing about the ponycars hitting the dealerships these days......they are great out-of-the-box performance toys that offer a decent level of comfort/driveability/user-friendliness. Even if you never intend to tinker under the hood, they're a solid buy.....whether it's the Challenger, Camaro, or Mustang. All that, and they still don't really cost an arm and a leg (markups not withstanding).
Old 01-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

LOL at people obsessing over HP numbers. The V6 will be a mid 14 second car, no way is it going to be touching an LS1 or Mustang GT. The SS is heavier than a GTO with a little more powa. I think a mild bolt-on LS1 f-body would stay with a stock 2010 SS IMO. Considering bone stock LS1s are pretty rare I wouldn't worry too much about them.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Launching!

To all the people in this thread thinking 5th gen's aren't going to be modded: lol.

Keep in mind that the same people buying 5th gens are the one's that bought 4th gens and are here in this forum. For every modification you can do to your 4th gen, it can be done to the 5th gen. Sure it's a slightly heavier platform, but since you guys are obsessed with near stock numbers for some reason, the LS3 has TONS of potential.

The v6 is definitely going to be a stout little car. I know a couple of people with crazy 3.8's that would wax just about every car in this thread (don't believe me? go talk to usd2sing, he's a crazy old nitrous sniffing bastard), and they're excited to see the v6, because that's what they want to mod. The 3.6vvt is an awesome motor that the CTS guys are getting great numbers out of. The 3.8 is kind of an anchor of a motor, and we're seeing one in the 8's in the QUARTER MILE. The 3.6 is a FAR superior motor, so I believe we're going to see many, many faster v6 5th gens than v6 4th gens.

It's not the stock one's you're going to have to worry about, it's the modded ones. And since the v6 this time around is much more competitive, we're going to see more 'car guys' picking them up and modding them.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So what kind of improvements are the CTS guys seeing with that 3.6? I am curious........I just don't see it being the hotrodders' motor that the old 3.8 was. And I am using the term "hotrodders' motor" with regards to V6 motors.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chadder
To all the people in this thread thinking 5th gen's aren't going to be modded: lol.

Keep in mind that the same people buying 5th gens are the one's that bought 4th gens and are here in this forum. For every modification you can do to your 4th gen, it can be done to the 5th gen. Sure it's a slightly heavier platform, but since you guys are obsessed with near stock numbers for some reason, the LS3 has TONS of potential.

The v6 is definitely going to be a stout little car. I know a couple of people with crazy 3.8's that would wax just about every car in this thread (don't believe me? go talk to usd2sing, he's a crazy old nitrous sniffing bastard), and they're excited to see the v6, because that's what they want to mod. The 3.6vvt is an awesome motor that the CTS guys are getting great numbers out of. The 3.8 is kind of an anchor of a motor, and we're seeing one in the 8's in the QUARTER MILE. The 3.6 is a FAR superior motor, so I believe we're going to see many, many faster v6 5th gens than v6 4th gens.

It's not the stock one's you're going to have to worry about, it's the modded ones. And since the v6 this time around is much more competitive, we're going to see more 'car guys' picking them up and modding them.
Not many People are going to be modding their brand new $35,000 cars right away. I agree about the LS3s having nice potential, but it's not like LS1s can't be modded either and you MUST equate weight into the equation. The GTO with an LS2 had a lot more potential than the LS1 as well, but I've seen MUCH better track times out of heads/cam f-bodies than I have from h/c GTOs. Don't forget the new Camaro will be heavier than the GTO with the same IRS. Also, there will be far more modded examples of-bodies than there will be of 2010 Camaros, (at least for the first couple years..).

As for the V6 argument, ha ha ha. Sure they can be made fast, anything can be made fast if you put enough money into it. However, a 3900lb V6 is not a competitor for ANY LSX powered car, sorry. I don't care that it makes 300hp, to push that kind of weight it's going to need gobs of torque and a lot more power under the curve. Like I said we are talking about a mid 14 second car here.

Show me what kind of track times the V6 CTS cars are running, I would be curious to know. (Please don't post dyno sheets).
Old 02-01-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01badz28

If you want to keep up, start modding. Otherwise, go buy a new car.
I care, I don't have mod money lol. I'm not worried about it - like somebody already said in here, the numbers just don't add up and there is no way this thing will come close to an LS1 from the factory.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

like said before, the new direct injection v6's are making good power out of the displacement they have, but guess what. you might be lucky to pick up 20-30 horsepower for a few grand in bolt on mods. these motors are highly optimized from the factory.. we already saw this with the 350z, s2000, is-350. bolt ons just dont get much if any results. Look at the lexus is-350. Some people put aftermarket intakes on and LOSE power. Motors are going to be coming higher and higher optimized from the factory in the future. bolt ons are going to become very limited for these motors.

Now look at gm v8's. the ls1 started at 345 horsepower. Now the ls3 is at 430+ horsepower with only .5 more liters of displacement. Lets not also forget that the ls3 is probably near the same size and weighs probably the same or maybe less then most DOCH v6's. The LS3 has even more potential then an ls1 does because of the larger bore and better heads. A mild cam only ls3 is knocking on 500 horsepower no problem! what are you going to do to that v6 to make it faster? your only option is forced induction or nitrous. They are too damn technical to modify internally with heads and cams and you would have to rev it to 12,000 rpms to take advantage of any heads/cams, just like motorcycles. Not to mention the cost to build such an engine. so in the end if you need a turbo or nitrous to pick up a lot more horsepower then your car came with, who cares about efficiency? you can put nitrous or turbos on any engine. The LSx engines will never be seen as dogs, but as a motor that has a vast amount of untapped power from the factory. atleast thats how ill see it
Old 02-01-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

One other thing you guys forget, who we have in office and what that will mean to the upcoming cars. I think the v8 will be a turd in the near future because of fuel mileage and all the green crap.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
shouldn't even be compared..like said before its the mustang gts that have to worry and thats sad
I smell bullshit!!!!!!!!! I really dont think the new v6 camaro can run mid 13's so mustang GT owners have nothing to worry about !
Old 03-24-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Only read till page 3, but thought that I would add my experience.

I can't speak for stock cars, but with mods in my sig(just bolt ons) I rape the new v8 like it forgot to downshift.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daez
Only read till page 3, but thought that I would add my experience.

I can't speak for stock cars, but with mods in my sig(just bolt ons) I rape the new v8 like it forgot to downshift.
Well since you brought a thread over a year old back from the dead, I'll bite. Looks like you have almost the exact same mods as my nephew's 99 Z except for a couple small things like subframes, fuel pump ext. and his is an auto. I still pull him.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no contest the ls1 will kill a v6 camaro bad thats emberasing to our ls1 putting a dam v6 i think we should put the 2010 ss up with our f-bodys

Quick Reply: LS1 owners have anything to fear?