Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 camaro review

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2010 camaro review

First off I own a 2000 corvette convertible and c6 zo6 w 540 rwhp..I went to the chevy dealer yesterday to get a new camaro...and ended up buying a corvette....I drove an ss automatic....was SLOW AS ****...I drove a blue 6 speed base 09 with ls3 and was like o my god!!anyone who buys an ss....be prepared to get that *** tore up....that automatic felt like an lt-1 automatic with 2 73 gears in it...I don't think I could be more disapointed...pathetic....
Old 07-24-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty then.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Wait, so the corvette is faster then the camaro?? Im confused
Old 07-24-2009, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Wait, so the corvette is faster then the camaro?? Im confused

I hope it would feel slow after driving a 540rwhp Z06! also from what ive heard the refined ride makes it "feel" not so seat of the pants.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

Default stock c6 ls3 vs 2010 camaro

Sorry guys I drove and bought a 2009 c6 ls3 6 speed after driving a 2010 camaro ss automatic...I just told u I own a c6 z with 540 whp...the vette was two worlds apart from the camaro,I know it was an automatic but I'm telling u that car was a terd...all I'm saying is anyone paying what these dealers are asking for the camaros when u can get a vette for almost the same is NUTS...there is noway a camaro would ever be able to hang with any c6....but it looks good, then again so does the challenger...I guess I am just so disapointed bc I loved the f body camaros so much...
Old 07-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Launching!

worst thread ever.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redcorvette2000
all I'm saying is anyone paying what these dealers are asking for the camaros when u can get a vette for almost the same is NUTS...there is noway a camaro would ever be able to hang with any c6....but it looks good, then again so does the challenger...I guess I am just so disapointed bc I loved the f body camaros so much...
My dealer is charging me 32,700 for my 1SS/RS, please tell me where I can get an 09 or 10 Vette for the same price, I need to buy a few & flip them so I can make some cash.

I also like the NO way a 5th gen can hang with a C6, there are many ways it can hang with them in a straight line & you will still come out cheaper than the C6. One more thing, how do I get my son's baby seat in the back seat of the Vette?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Haha that's funny....nah I got the vette for 45 and dealers are asking 40 all day for the ss camaros....I'm just saying I am very disapointed and had to cry out to someone...and yes this is probably one of the worst threads ever...but still...
Old 07-24-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

apples meet oranges.... AGAIN
Old 07-24-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

...and yes this is probably one of the worst threads ever...but still...
Good, as long as you agree
Old 07-24-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you really expect for it to feel as strong or handle as well as the Corvette? Obviously it won't or they wouldn't be able to sell Corvettes. It has always been this way. If all things were equal other than the weight, the Corvette would still win. The vette has a 600 - 700 lb weight advantage.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

No surprise here. The C6 is just a better all-around car than the Camaro. The C6 handles better, is quicker, and is more fun to drive. Automatic 2010 SS's are mid-13 second cars. That is fast for most of the population. Not everyone drives a 540 rwhp Z06 to compare it to. Put things in a normal perspective here, not compare performance relative to your other modified cars. For example, I could test drive your Z06 and say it is slow as **** too, because I own something with more power.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

.all I'm saying is anyone paying what these dealers are asking for the camaros when u can get a vette for almost the same is NUTS...r...I guess I am just so disapointed bc I loved the f body camaros so much...

That's what I've been saying ever since the specs were releases MONTHS ago!!!!!

I can justify the G8 and it's 4,000lbs because of the four doors and the ton of room it's interior and trunk offer.
But, I think the 2010 Camaro is just plain stupid.

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Automatic 2010 SS's are mid-13 second cars. That is fast for most of the population.
The new Camaro is "fast", but it's a HEAVY PIG with NO room and poor visibility.
My G35x sedan only runs 13.9, but it has four doors, usable storage, great visibility, and ALL WHEEL DRIVE. All that, and it only weighs 3,700lbs.

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
For example, I could test drive your Z06 and say it is slow as **** too, because I own something with more power.
It's not all about power. It's about weight, cost, and performace versus utility.
I'd rather have a C5 or my Infinit sedan then the new Camaro.
At least the G8 offers a compromise between the 2.

Last edited by 427C5; 07-24-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Give the new Camaro a little time....let a few good NHRA/IHRA stock/super stock racers get ahold of a few of these cars and work their magic....you'll see low 10's and even 9's w/these cars w/out nitrous or turbo or blower. Both auto and stick. The aftermarket people have just scraped the surface w/go-fast parts for these cars...Remember back in 1998 when the first LS1 F-bodies came out? It was awhile before these cars started to run some real fast times, as well...People became educated, (found out what worked and what didn't) and as go-fast parts became available they got quicker and quicker...Just look at the real fast 4th gen LS1-2 Camaros, Firebirds/TransAms and late model GTO's running VERY SUCCESSFULLY in NHRA Stock and Super Stock. Everything takes a little time...just watch. WJ
Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 427C5
*snip*
You know, there is one thing I don't quite understand about you and people like you. If you don't like the Camaro, that's perfectly alright! But since you don't, why do you keep dropping in the 2010 Camaro section to repeat yourself over and over that you don't like the car, that you feel it is a slow pig, etc? We get it already.

I agree the Camaro could use some weight loss. But whatever...
Old 07-24-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

yeah i would rather have a c5 or ls1 t/a or camaro anyday, i was just looking for a little more thats all....i am just pissed bc it feels nothing like a sports car....it feels like a four door sedan or something....my girlfriends lexus would smoke the one i drove....and i was just trying to save the people just like me the disapointment that i experienced when i drove one and if you want something to win road races or at the track....you are wasting your time and money....maybe next year they will cut a 1000 pounds and it will perform better....who knows...
Old 07-24-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

.it feels like a four door sedan or something....
It feels like a four door sedan because IT IS A FOUR DOUR SEDAN.

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
You know, there is one thing I don't quite understand about you and people like you. If you don't like the Camaro, that's perfectly alright! But since you don't, why do you keep dropping in the 2010 Camaro section to repeat yourself over and over that you don't like the car, that you feel it is a slow pig, etc? We get it already.

I agree the Camaro could use some weight loss. But whatever...
Good point.

I've built a few F-bodies and have a place in my heart for the Camaro. I love GM and think Scott Settlemeir is a great guy.

I keep visiting for 2 reasons.
1) I hope GM will hear the complaints and give us a TRUE Camaro again instead of a 4,000lb sedan that's PRETENDING to be the Camaro.

Remember, the 1999 hardop C5 Corvette (aka "Billy Bob") was SUPPOSED to be the Camaro SS replacement. The Billy Bob hardtop fit the Camaro requirements which are: Dedicated coupe chassis, big performance, affordable.
The 1999 "Billy Bob" hardop was supposed have ZERO options and ONLY come with cloth interior, manual seats, and manual transmission in order to make the hardop the affordable "pony/muscle car" for the every day man to replace the Camaro.
Well, the goddammed GM accountants killed the idea. Then, to add insult to injury, they came up with the idea to turn the hardtop into a money making scheme called the "ZO6". They slapped some parts that would have gone to GM performance parts on the hardtop, replaced all the luxury items that were removed, and then jacked UP the price when the hardtop was designed to bring the price DOWN.
Research it. It's all true.

2) I want to support the Camaro sedan (G8, Zeta) because I want to see GM save it.
Part of that is educating the community about the fact that the Camaro and the G8 is the SAME chassis.

As far as me compalining about the weight: I think a LOT of people that are used to driving 3,400lb F-bodies and 3,200lb Corvettes are in for a rude awakening when they start throwing around a 4,000lb "coupe" . It's a whole new ball game controlling a car that heavy after driving a 4th gen or C5/C6. You'll see what I'm talking about the 1st time you get a 4,000lb car sideways.

Furthermore, what do you think all that weight is going to do for reliability???
Let's hope I'm wrong, but that is a TON of curb weight to be driving it like a "muscle car", especially with the amount of power the LS3 is making.
You all remember the 1st gen CTS-V and the issues it had, right ?????

Last edited by 427C5; 07-24-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Preach on brotha preach on.....
Old 07-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Not everyone wants a racecar. The 4th generation, while fast, had little else going for it. The interior was utter crap. The car never even had a decent rear end that would hold the STOCK power.

The new Camaro has plenty of potential to become a 'fast' car, but must retain the necessities to stay a popular car. The new Camaro would have not made many sales if it had just been a stripped down racecar. Go buy a body in white if that's what you want.

The Camaro is supposed to be a street cruiser/bruiser while retaining the daily-drivable aspect. Unfortunately now-a-days cars have to meet much more rigorous crash standards than even 5 years ago. Much of the cost built in to the Corvette's price is lightweight materials that will remain crash worthy. The Camaro is obviously made with cheaper, heavier materials in order to save in cost.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chadder
The new Camaro would have not made many sales if it had just been a stripped down racecar. Go buy a body in white if that's what you want.
Nope. I'll stick with my C6 and my sedan.

The back seat in the new Camaro is a joke and the interior and trunk has zero space. It's not very "livable" if you ask me.

Quick Reply: 2010 camaro review