Sponsored by:

2011 stangs on sale today

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
What are you talking about?

...and to the person who said Mustangs are plain looking, I've always thought the same about 4th gen Camaros...same long curve all the way down the side of the body, and IMO convertibles look like a boat with their top down. I do, however, like Trans Ams. That's probably due to their little more "radical" styling.
4th gen non SS camaros are somewhat plain ill admit. they still looked better than mustangs at that that time i think. there isnt a time when i take out my SS that someone compliments it. must be the color lol.

5th gens look way nicer than new mustangs imo.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new mustang has quite a buzz about it right now. i mean even on here (ls1tech)there has been at least one thread about the new mustang for like 3 months.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 32vmach
the new mustang has quite a buzz about it right now. i mean even on here (ls1tech)there has been at least one thread about the new mustang for like 3 months.
mostly because some are threatened by its performance. while i was surprised by it im ok with it. i hope it makes GM improve a 5th gens power and weight.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Looks wise, I would be willing to bet that 4 out of 5 average people would choose the 2011 Camaro over the 2011 Mustang. I really like the 2010+ styling of the mustang, but the average person (ex: my fiance) would have no idea that the car had even changed in the last 6 years. The 2010 Camaro is flashy and aggressive, some like it some don't, but that's why the car sells.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:46 PM

First 2011 Mustang GT in the 10s N/A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c62zJ-4Bo48
Old 06-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by snake95
What are you talking about?

...and to the person who said Mustangs are plain looking, I've always thought the same about 4th gen Camaros...same long curve all the way down the side of the body, and IMO convertibles look like a boat with their top down. I do, however, like Trans Ams. That's probably due to their little more "radical" styling.
Originally Posted by LS1LT1
How do you mean?
I love both the new Camaro and the new Mustang but in the race among the V6s the Mustang is SUBSTANTIALLY faster than the Camaro in a straight line...due mostly to lighter weight of course but still, the V6 Mustang really moves.
I don't see what's so confusing. The new mustang is a nice looking and feeling car, but if I were to buy a new car with power in mind, and easily moddable power, GM's LSX series is the only option.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Better have deep pockets.Oh and a live rear axle.
Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
I don't see what's so confusing. The new mustang is a nice looking and feeling car, but if I were to buy a new car with power in mind, and easily moddable power, GM's LSX series is the only option.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

deeper pockets then if you had a 4th gen? well yes obviously. I think johnny means that you have one cam to buy, and much simplier head designs. Not to mention the camaro engine has a vast majority of brother and sister engines to pull parts from if you need it, namely the truck line. I personally would rather mod an LS3 rather then a DOHC 5.0. Plus you have a little extra c.i. to make up for the weight disadvantage.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
Looks wise, I would be willing to bet that 4 out of 5 average people would choose the 2011 Camaro over the 2011 Mustang. I really like the 2010+ styling of the mustang, but the average person (ex: my fiance) would have no idea that the car had even changed in the last 6 years. The 2010 Camaro is flashy and aggressive, some like it some don't, but that's why the car sells.
I would somewhat disagree with you. I think it really comes down to how much this 2011 GT is gonna sticker for. I've been to many car lots looking at these new camaros. The prices I am seeing is between $37K and $42K. I know there are guys on this board who say you can get them cheaper and maybe you can where you live. But those cheaper cars are simply not on the lots around here, not int he form of an SS. Anything that I have seen thats been cheaper are V6's.

If Ford prices these new GT's to sell and by that I mean be $35K and lower. There gonna sell like hotcakes.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Teching In

i'll tell ya what, lets both buy a new car. me a camaro ss and you a mustang gt of equal price and put the same money in it and lets see who wins.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
Well, what was so confusing was YOU mentioning V6s and superior GM power in the same paragraph LOL.
I agree that for making NA power, not too much can beat an LSx motor but you should maybe try clarifying that a little better next time as well instead of giving people the impression/idea that you'd actually thought the current Camaro V6 was faster then the new Mustang V6.

Last edited by LS1LT1; 06-04-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by summitss/rsls3
i'll tell ya what, lets both buy a new car. me a camaro ss and you a mustang gt of equal price and put the same money in it and lets see who wins.
Bolt on for bolt and spray for spray, I think mustang.
I think evolution prove that with a bolt on Gt running 10.58 with a 125 shot

Last edited by Magic Tundra; 06-04-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Guess I was in the minority? I loved the 4th gen look, didn't really care for the old 3rd gens near as much.
totally agree. Absolutely loved the 1st gens, the early 2nd gens were meh, but after seeing some fast ones, I could see them as cool cars. But the 3rd gens did nothing for me, they were worse than the 'hoagie looking' later 2nd gens, too boxy or plasticy or cheap looking for me, and compared to the mustangs of those years, which I also hated, kids were actually making mustangs fast rather than growing mullets. when the 4th gens came out, I thought, "okay, camaros are REAL sports cars - they are the corvettes kid brother, and wow, I bet the guy driving that does a lot of coke (in a good way, likes hes a yuppie with money)"

I thought the 2nd half of the 4th gens were a little more muscly compared to the 1st half, they weren't as good looking, but reminded me of those fast 2nd gens I saw.

I loved the 5th gens when I first saw one and was dead set on getting one, now I'd rather have my 4th gen overall, and if that got wrecked, I would probably get a challenger based on looks alone (actually, I'd probably get another 1st gen).
Old 06-04-2010, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

I wish GM would have spent a little time in the Camaro before sending it off, visability sucks and I feel cramped. Pull up to a bank and you can barely reach the ATM. The Mustang is much more driver friendly and I am a GM fan. Mod for mod the Camaro will win, stock and the Mustang has the advantage due to lighter weight and a better rear end.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:29 AM

Obviously the ls3 has a little more potential that then 5.0 coyote because of the bigger cubes (although the stock 5.0 Coyote heads flow 311 cfm intake) but as much as you say power is important, the weight, handling and gas mileage play a huge role. To us people who like to modify our cars and simply don't care about gas mileage, we just add alot of power and for the camaro, it can make up the wieght difference with the potential of its engine. Although this is true, the AVERAGE buyer which is much more representative and by far more of a bigger percentage of sales, they don't care about the cars engine "potential." They care more of the gas mileage more than anything and they get bought by the advertisements. I honestly think (and i know most of you wont admit it) but if it was the other way around (meaning that the camaro would be the lighter car, better handling, better gas mileage with the 5.0 motor and the mustang would be the heavier car with the 6.2 ls3 and slower initially 1/4 and worse in handling, in other words, cars would be vice versa of one another), most chevy people would be advocating that the camaro is a much better car because it does it all, not just 1/4: handling, braking, and gas mileage. Their is always an excuse for everything.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
deeper pockets then if you had a 4th gen? well yes obviously. I think johnny means that you have one cam to buy, and much simplier head designs. Not to mention the camaro engine has a vast majority of brother and sister engines to pull parts from if you need it, namely the truck line. I personally would rather mod an LS3 rather then a DOHC 5.0. Plus you have a little extra c.i. to make up for the weight disadvantage.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I agree that for making NA power, not too much can beat an LSx motor but you should maybe try clarifying that a little better next time as well instead of giving people the impression/idea that you'd actually thought the new Mustang V6 was faster then the current Camaro V6.
Isn't it? The 2011 V6 Mustang is now faster than the V6 camaro as far as I know.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:57 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

I found this post by Evolution interesting:

Evolution Performance, Inc. Our Stock 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V weighs 3,824lbs with Driver and a Full Tank of Gas!
And the weight of the driver:

198lbs
And this user comment:

So 3626 without the driver. That is not too shabby at all! Remove 10 of those gallons and you end up with 3566 (6lbs a gallon) for drag trim plus the driver. That is definitely not too shabby.
I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like the Mustang is 300 lbs lighter than the Camaro.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by enginjoe
Isn't it? The 2011 V6 Mustang is now faster than the V6 camaro as far as I know.
Ooops, yes it is, I mistakenly reversed the cars in that post LOL.
Fixed it.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the biggest down fall of the Camaro is the suspension just because it's pretty much brand new and nobody really has it sorted out yet. The mustang suspension is much simpler and had been around since 2005 in it's current form. I think once people figure out the winning combo with the 5th gen suspension it will stay ahead of the GT. It's getting there but no quite 100%

Also the GT is now more money than the SS when equally equipped. The Camaro is still the better bang for the buck when buying and modding.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dark SS
I think the biggest down fall of the Camaro is the suspension just because it's pretty much brand new and nobody really has it sorted out yet. The mustang suspension is much simpler and had been around since 2005 in it's current form. I think once people figure out the winning combo with the 5th gen suspension it will stay ahead of the GT. It's getting there but no quite 100%

Also the GT is now more money than the SS when equally equipped. The Camaro is still the better bang for the buck when buying and modding.
This is from a Superchevy January it looks to me like the Mustang responded better to mods than the Camaro did.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...ads/index.html

Carmaro BASELINE, BONE STOCK 2.05 13.25 @ 106.42 [Evolution 2011 Stang ran 12.61 @ 108 mph with a 1.96 60ft on the factory street tires?]

Camaro BONE STOCK W/TUNE 1.99 12.94 @ 108.39 [Evolution Performance Mustang Bone stock with DRs 12.04 @ 117mph - 1.70 60ft on DOT legal tires]

Camaro with CAM, HEADERS/EXHAUST, TUNE 1.93 12.27 @ 114.54
Camaro CAM, HEADERS/EXHAUST HEADS,SLP Blackwing CAI, TUNE, DRs
1.86 11.81 @ 119.27 [Evolution Performance,Mustang 11.65@119MPH Drop filter, Tune, OR X pipe, cat back, MT ET Streets bogarts]

Last edited by FOG52; 06-04-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 stangs on sale today