Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Gen5 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012 | 09:01 PM
On The Tree

FWIW, I had 4.33's and loved them for the 300-400 miles they lasted. I'm done pissing money away on the stock differential. Going to place an order for the 9" within the next month and it's going to have a 4.30 gear.
Old 02-04-2012 | 09:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by No Hope
If you have a manual the 3.91 gears are the best for the quarter mile. AAM makes better gears than Richmond, even if Richmond has improved I would let someone else find out if it was true. Most like 4.11's for the street. That could be because they never tried the 3.91's.
What makes the 3.91 a better option over the 4.11 at the strip? What rpm are you trapping at in 4th gear with the 3.91?
Old 02-04-2012 | 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
FWIW, I had 4.33's and loved them for the 300-400 miles they lasted. I'm done pissing money away on the stock differential. Going to place an order for the 9" within the next month and it's going to have a 4.30 gear.
Let me know how this goes cause I'd like 2 upgrade to a 9 with 430
Old 02-04-2012 | 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by John Deere racer
We will see soon
Im going to put some weld rt on the car for the track

Maybe some mid low 11s with bolt ons
Good luck man! You are running awesome times for being on 20s still... I hope I run that after my cam and some nittos
Old 02-05-2012 | 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Good luck man! You are running awesome times for being on 20s still... I hope I run that after my cam and some nittos
Thanks

I hope that it will get a lil faster yet as it only has 5k miles on it

I bought it for the wife and kids to have fun with and a excuse for me to have a fast car ... Lol. Didn't think it would b this fast

I want to take some weight out of it. Stuff I can unbolt and put back on
What can I take off? Anyone know?
Seats.. Etc

The trick to running a good time in these cars is all in the 60ft
Old 02-05-2012 | 08:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
What makes the 3.91 a better option over the 4.11 at the strip? What rpm are you trapping at in 4th gear with the 3.91?

I should clarify, it was a six speed transmission. I wasn't thinking some of you had 4 speeds, sorry.
Old 02-05-2012 | 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I should clarify, it was a six speed transmission. I wasn't thinking some of you had 4 speeds, sorry.
They are both 6speeds

Auto and manual
Old 02-05-2012 | 09:25 AM
Launching!

I knew you were talking about a six speed manual, but with a 3.91 gear that puts you in 4th gear as you cross the 1/4mi mark, does it not? I'm just a little confused as to why you believe a 3.91 is better than a 4.11 or 4.33 for the strip. I'm not being critical, just inquiring.
Old 02-05-2012 | 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Roto Fab washer bottle is about $95 and the ADM scoop is $75.

Get the washer bottle replacement for sure. It frees up the space below the air intake so cold air can be pulled in from the ground. The scoop is easy to install
thats not bad at all, easy to install too?
Old 02-06-2012 | 11:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
thats not bad at all, easy to install too?
Both are easy to install. The bottle washer is really fast. Let them know what kind of air intake you have because there are adapters for the CAI intake and there might be some for others.

The scoop is a little more difficult, you have to jack the car up and cut a small piece off the shroud by the radiator with a die grinder or dremmel. I didn't believe the BS about the scoop when I heard about it so I built one myself and it does work well. Its like ram air, the faster you go the more HP you gain. Here is a pic of the one I built. Its made out of Aluminum so it isn't as heavy as it looks.
Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for Gen5 Camaro-nuke-scoop-web.jpg  
Old 02-06-2012 | 11:57 AM
Launching!

They are both 6speeds

Auto and manual
I know both Gen 5 Camaro transmissions are 6 speeds, I was referring to some of the members who don't have Gen 5's that might have 4 speeds.
Old 02-06-2012 | 12:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
I knew you were talking about a six speed manual, but with a 3.91 gear that puts you in 4th gear as you cross the 1/4mi mark, does it not? I'm just a little confused as to why you believe a 3.91 is better than a 4.11 or 4.33 for the strip. I'm not being critical, just inquiring.

I have an Auto, the only Gen 5 car I have driven with a manual is a friend of mines 800rwhp monster. He had 4.11's and recently went to 3.91's, the track doesn't open up for a few months so I can't tell you the time difference but he's not having the problems with traction as much as he did with the 4.11's

Gear ratio and rwhp go hand in hand. What rwhp are you at right now? Another thing that's a factor is what kind of forced induction you have. If you have a whipple or maggie you will like the 3.91's more than the 4.11's for the quarter mile.

As far as what gear I was in with his car, I was well into 6 gear with 4.11s (not my car so I didn't want to go too high on the rpms) so I can't see the 3.91's making that big a difference there. It was traction that made him go to the 3.91's, he has a maggie for force air and they give punch right from the start. He is having a hard time getting traction when he launches even with suspension mods and Nitto NT05'R'S

Last edited by No Hope; 02-06-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2012 | 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Both are easy to install. The bottle washer is really fast. Let them know what kind of air intake you have because there are adapters for the CAI intake and there might be some for others.

The scoop is a little more difficult, you have to jack the car up and cut a small piece off the shroud by the radiator with a die grinder or dremmel. I didn't believe the BS about the scoop when I heard about it so I built one myself and it does work well. Its like ram air, the faster you go the more HP you gain. Here is a pic of the one I built. Its made out of Aluminum so it isn't as heavy as it looks.
very nice, it looks good, ill let u know wut kind of CAI i go with
Old 02-08-2012 | 02:01 PM
On The Tree

.... If its an Automatic trans don't bother with the Vmax throttle body, you won't like it. ...
Whats the problem using a VMAX TB with a automatic transmission? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2012 | 05:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Torqued
Whats the problem using a VMAX TB with a automatic transmission? Thanks.
I bought a VMAX throttle body and did not like it. VMAX has an outstanding customer service policy. I sent them my original throttle body and told them I wanted that one ported and sent back to me and they did. When I got my original throttle body back I was pleased with it.

I think it has something to do with the VVT system. Most of the time when someone with a automatic buys a VMAX they either don't like it or don't notice any difference.

The VVT system reads the throttle body to anticipate where the cam should be. The system must be calibrated to that throttle body and when you put a different throttle body on it you throw the system off. That's my theory, I have no proof
Old 02-09-2012 | 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Let me know how this goes cause I'd like 2 upgrade to a 9 with 430
Hey JD racer, the order was placed this morning for the DSS 9" kit with one change.....I went 4.56 instead of 4.30. I'll keep you posted for sure....can't wait to get it to a track.
Old 02-09-2012 | 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey JD racer, the order was placed this morning for the DSS 9" kit with one change.....I went 4.56 instead of 4.30. I'll keep you posted for sure....can't wait to get it to a track.
Sweet

Let me know when u get it installed
I'd like to take a ride

If u still have stock size tires 28.5 in tall
Your 4.56 will be around a 4.26 gear

When u go to the track
If u don't have. Sticky tire u can us my stockers with m/t dr
Old 02-09-2012 | 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Sweet

Let me know when u get it installed
I'd like to take a ride

If u still have stock size tires 28.5 in tall
Your 4.56 will be around a 4.26 gear

When u go to the track
If u don't have. Sticky tire u can us my stockers with m/t dr
Yup, the taller tire is why I went ahead with the 4.56. Thanks for the offer on the m/t's, I may take you up on that. What size are they?
Old 02-09-2012 | 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup, the taller tire is why I went ahead with the 4.56. Thanks for the offer on the m/t's, I may take you up on that. What size are they?
I think 305/35 20
same height as stock
Lil 2 wide for stock rim but ther ok

The stock size is actually shorter and I diidnt want car to set lower in rear than the front

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Gen5 Camaro