Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thermostat Change

Is it worth it to change to a lower one on my new 2012 SS, or a waste of money and time? i know the 4th gens benifited from it
Old 03-06-2012, 07:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock
Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glennster
Stock
so stock is better?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, my research showed no gains and possible faster engine wear. I want every ounce of power also, mileage may vary for you.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

If you ever decide to get tuned, you can have the fans set to come on at a lower temp. That would be better then a thermostat.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

As they have said stock is the way to go. If you do some mods and get a tune just have the fans turned on earlier (which most all tuners will do anyways)

They have discussed this on camaro5 to death as well....you really should register if you haven't already and do some searching...just make sure you dont listen to everyone...their are a lot of uneducated on their as well.

From searching on this subject for hours I gathered that you can pick up a little bit of power from running the ls3 cooler, (as with any engine) but the gains are minimal and their will be increased engine wear from improper expansion of engine internals associated with lower temps. The LS3 engine was designed to operate most effectively with the factory thermostat. It is best to not go any further than lowering the fan temp.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, my research showed no gains and possible faster engine wear. I want every ounce of power also, mileage may vary for you.
Originally Posted by AJG383
If you ever decide to get tuned, you can have the fans set to come on at a lower temp. That would be better then a thermostat.
Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
As they have said stock is the way to go. If you do some mods and get a tune just have the fans turned on earlier (which most all tuners will do anyways)

They have discussed this on camaro5 to death as well....you really should register if you haven't already and do some searching...just make sure you dont listen to everyone...their are a lot of uneducated on their as well.

From searching on this subject for hours I gathered that you can pick up a little bit of power from running the ls3 cooler, (as with any engine) but the gains are minimal and their will be increased engine wear from improper expansion of engine internals associated with lower temps. The LS3 engine was designed to operate most effectively with the factory thermostat. It is best to not go any further than lowering the fan temp.

Thanks guys that pretty much sums it all up, ill let my tuner do it then
Old 03-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Your telling members of LS1TECH to go to Camaro5?

Come on, I think we should pick out the members on C5 that have serious mod knowledge and tell them to come to this site. Don't you? We need more Gen 5 members here.

Vendors rule on C5 right or wrong. You will get better info on here if you dig for it. An LS3 motor is a LS3 motor no matter what car its in.

The gear heads on this site are the best on the web.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by No Hope

Come on, I think we should pick out the members on C5 that have serious mod knowledge and tell them to come to this site. Don't you? We need more Gen 5 members here.

Vendors rule on C5 right or wrong. You will get better info on here if you dig for it. An LS3 motor is a LS3 motor no matter what car its in.

I agree it would be nice.

At this point it seems that I find a lot of hate towards the 5th gen on this website.

Just because he searches camaro5 for info doesnt mean that he cant be on here as well. At this point the amount of 5th gen information on camaro5 absolutely dwarfs what we have here. Like I said their are a lot of uninformed on their...but plenty of good info as well.

In the end I dont think their is much we can do for the 5th gen to gain popularity on this website...I think it is going to take a couple more years.

Most people I talk with on C5 are members here already. Its just that this community as a whole doesnt think much of the 5th gen at this point. Even the fast list hasnt been updated for the 5th gen in ages!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Vendors rule on C5 right or wrong

My perma-ban from C5 agrees with you. LOL
Old 03-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Launching!

I agree it would be nice.

At this point it seems that I find a lot of hate towards the 5th gen on this website.

Just because he searches camaro5 for info doesnt mean that he cant be on here as well. At this point the amount of 5th gen information on camaro5 absolutely dwarfs what we have here. Like I said their are a lot of uninformed on their...but plenty of good info as well.

In the end I dont think their is much we can do for the 5th gen to gain popularity on this website...I think it is going to take a couple more years.

Most people I talk with on C5 are members here already. Its just that this community as a whole doesnt think much of the 5th gen at this point. Even the fast list hasnt been updated for the 5th gen in ages!
This happens every time a new body style or generation comes out. The people who can't afford a new car are jealous and slam the ones who can

Limp dick websites like C5 add fuel to the fire.

There is much more info on this site you just have to dig for it. There are some cars on here that have the LS3 motor and they have tweeked it and modded it to the hilt.

The best way we can tone down the hate level on this site is to get more Gen 5 owners on here who know how to mod a car. The problem is most people who buy new cars don't do anything to them. Maybe an exhaust upgrade or an air intake.

The problem with C5 is you never know what is true or if its something a vendor wants people to think is true. The moderators on that site delete posts that they don't like and will ban you in a minute. Moderators there have multiple user names and make false posts telling everyone that they love a product when its really some pimple headed kid who doesn't even own a Camaro.

I would just like to see more Gen 5 owners on this site. Let someone know about it if you get the chance
Old 03-11-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

This happens every time a new body style or generation comes out. The people who can't afford a new car are jealous and slam the ones who can

Limp dick websites like C5 add fuel to the fire.

There is much more info on this site you just have to dig for it. There are some cars on here that have the LS3 motor and they have tweeked it and modded it to the hilt.

The best way we can tone down the hate level on this site is to get more Gen 5 owners on here who know how to mod a car. The problem is most people who buy new cars don't do anything to them. Maybe an exhaust upgrade or an air intake.

The problem with C5 is you never know what is true or if its something a vendor wants people to think is true. The moderators on that site delete posts that they don't like and will ban you in a minute. Moderators there have multiple user names and make false posts telling everyone that they love a product when its really some pimple headed kid who doesn't even own a Camaro.

I would just like to see more Gen 5 owners on this site. Let someone know about it if you get the chance
Trust me...I know all about this site...I have been on here for 8 years...

When it came to my 4th gen I found all the info I ever needed. Aside from engine specific discussions for the ls3 this site pales in comparison to camaro5...the entire website is dedicated to nothing but the 5th gen. Their is very little information on gen 5 camaro specific applications/upgrades etc. on here as of now.

I know their are problems with C5...their are problems with every site. I consider myself intelligent enough to sift through what is BS and what is not.

I would also like to see more gen 5 owners here as well. I'll do my best man...

DIETCOKE...how did you get banned from C5 anyway? Didnt you change your name to DietTab? LOL.

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 03-11-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

You have to sift thru the info like any site. I also agree there's more 5th gen hate on this site then I've ever encountered against a new gen. People get really worked up about these cars but hey, they sell and I freaking love mine. Of the 30 or more camaro's I've had, this one is my favorite.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to sift thru the info like any site. I also agree there's more 5th gen hate on this site then I've ever encountered against a new gen. People get really worked up about these cars but hey, they sell and I freaking love mine. Of the 30 or more camaro's I've had, this one is my favorite.
I agree with u glennster, i love mine as well, i cant stop driving it wut a head turner this thing is!! Who cares wut all the other haters have to say
Old 03-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Launching!

I've been banned twice on C5, once as No Hope and once as Ratt

I have another membership on C5 but I'm laying low with it until I'm hard up for entertainment
Old 03-25-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJG383
I talked to a good tuner and he told that its best to run a lower stat because when he tunes it, he can pull the best timing out of it??
Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Just a few more horsepower that you won't feel from the tune because the engines not warmed up fully and not making all the power it could plus shortened life, Sounds like a lose-lose but you decide.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just a few more horsepower that you won't feel from the tune because the engines not warmed up fully and not making all the power it could plus shortened life, Sounds like a lose-lose but you decide.
How much of a cooling difference are we talking here that would make this happen? 10-15 degress would shorten it? going from 200 to 180 doesnt seem like much, just wondering how it would hurt it
Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 PM
9 Second Club

Most don't think 15-20* is much but water doesn't freeze at 33* but it does at 32*.... Lol.
The pistons expand with heat. And because the skirts are thinner than the areas around the pin, they expand quicker. That's why you don't beat on a cold engine. All the internals have to have proper clearance for durability and longevity. A 20* drop in temp can effect the engine over time. A lot of engines that get cold started and shut off will get fuel in the oil since the engine never reaches a temp for maximum combustion and thermal expansion.

A tstat isn't worth it.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
How much of a cooling difference are we talking here that would make this happen? 10-15 degress would shorten it? going from 200 to 180 doesnt seem like much, just wondering how it would hurt it
This can't be answered. I think stock is 190 or 192.Theres things to do for that last grasp of 2 horsepower for a record, this isn't it IMHO.

Quick Reply: Thermostat Change