Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware stock LS3 timing chain tensioner!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Beware stock LS3 timing chain tensioner!

As some of you may have heard some people have reported problems or breakage with the stock ls3 timing chain tensioner.

It is a good thing that I ended up doing a heads and cam install this year. The shop who is doing my install called me today and said that the spring had popped out of the tensioner!!! They are currently trying to fish it out of the oil pan!

I had heard of this problem and supplied the correct parts for them to install (ls2 dampener).

I just cant believe how lucky I got with this. I wonder how long I was driving it around like this...and I run the thing to redline almost every time I drive it...wow

btw...forgot to mention...car has 9900 miles on it.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard anything about this problem. I will look into it now.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Thats nice, was there any change in the way the car ran at any time?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Thats nice, was there any change in the way the car ran at any time?
Never.

I even put it to the floor a couple times on the way to the install (like I always drive it)

I might have actually saved money doing this H/C install. GM would not have warrantied my motor when it blew up with my existing mods and tune etc.

After seeing the other people with problems and having it happen to me...if an individual has a car not under warranty I would be changing that tensioner out ASAP.

BTW...the shop doing my install said this is not the first one they have seen either. They always suggest the LS2 dampener as well.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my tuner has worked on a ton of 5th gens and ive never heard about this.

ill ask him about it.

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 03-30-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
my tuner has worked on a ton of 5th gens and ive never heard about this.

ill ask him what about it.
Some have had it happen with a stock balancer.

But I have also read that an aftermarket underdrive crank pulley like I have can cause different harmonics and cause the problem. I have had the under drive crank pulley on since about 1k miles on the car...so most of its life.

I would guess this attributed to the spring/clip coming loose. But like I said it has happened on totally stock cars as well.

If you ever get a fifth gen I would say dont install an UD crank pulley until you get into doing a cam etc and then just do the ls2 style. Cheap insurance and no reason not to do it while your into it.

Katech C5R single chain with ls2 tensioner is the way to go. The double roller has clearance problems with the oil pump...and the c5r single has never been reported to break. This is the most common/easiest/best set up from what I gather.

Just my .02
Old 03-29-2012, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a double roller and no tensioner. But if you run a tensioner, the LS2 has less of a failure chance, though the LS3 works better (when it works)
Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

Can you just simply swap to the ls2 tensioner? Now that I changed my cam and keep my hole ls3 style setup, this makes me nervous. I dont not have a underdrive pully though at lest.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Can you just simply swap to the ls2 tensioner? Now that I changed my cam and keep my hole ls3 style setup, this makes me nervous. I dont not have a underdrive pully though at lest.
Yes you can.

But why not just install the c5r chain while your at it? Surely you can scrounge up 150 bucks man.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I spoke to a friend of mine about this. He is the owner of a performance shop here in the Tampa area and has a ton of expirience with LS family motors. He says this is a rare issue for the Ls3 and that the motors he sees have problems are the L99 and other AFM motors. If you have everything apart and want to inspect it or change it out no problem, but don't sweat tearing the motor apart just for this.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gunslinger09
I spoke to a friend of mine about this. He is the owner of a performance shop here in the Tampa area and has a ton of expirience with LS family motors. He says this is a rare issue for the Ls3 and that the motors he sees have problems are the L99 and other AFM motors. If you have everything apart and want to inspect it or change it out no problem, but don't sweat tearing the motor apart just for this.
The guy who installed mine said that nearly half of all the cars he has done has had a broken tensioner.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
The guy who installed mine said that nearly half of all the cars he has done has had a broken tensioner.
I wont dispute him but keep this in mind; my friend wasnt trying to sell me parts or $75 an hour book rate labor. I tend to put more credence in advice that comes from somone that is a subject matter expert but doesnt have any monetary stake in the decision.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gunslinger09
I wont dispute him but keep this in mind; my friend wasnt trying to sell me parts or $75 an hour book rate labor. I tend to put more credence in advice that comes from somone that is a subject matter expert but doesnt have any monetary stake in the decision.
Their was no monetary gain from it.

Previously bought and planned on installing the ls2 dampener/chain combo even before the car was brought in.

He just told me because he thought I should know...nothing more.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i spoke with my tuner today about this and he informed since 07 GM changed the design of the tensioner and its been a problem ever since.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Thats not good
Old 05-28-2014, 04:02 PM
Teching In

I have a SS and I am about to Cam/injector and E85 tune the car. I plan on (if something happens to the motor, of course) just reverting back to stock components and taking it into Chevy and say "WTF" and complain until I get a new motor. Stupid little things like a tentioner braking and causing the motor to go, is covered under warranty and even if mod'ed that is something that is their fault if I never had it touched. Just poor quality parts. I will just have to keep all the stock parts just in case. Though, I do not redline my car that often, so I truly don't have to worry about stuff like this happening. 15k and still trucking :-)

Quick Reply: Beware stock LS3 timing chain tensioner!