Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

to all of you doubters on weight!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008 | 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

360hp?

lets be real. a 98-02 f body is normally at about 335-345 stock at the flywheel. there are some freaks yes, and some are also way below
Old 11-10-2008 | 10:39 AM
Teching In

Smile

[

This is why your logic is flawed because you are not taking into account all the variables. Do not ever compare a manual car with a stalled car at the drag strip. It does not matter that you launch at 5000rpms,

You are right a manual car should always be faster in NHRA and IHRA both index the manual cars in stock eleimator 1 tenth quicker. 7.30 in the 1/8 gears and stall, OH YA and a 250 shot that more believable.
Old 11-12-2008 | 03:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
The new Camaro might make it in the 7s at best. A Zr1 will do atleast low 7's on street tires. I'd say it might go 6s on slicks and a good launch.
hopefully!
Old 11-12-2008 | 04:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow.

Low 7's with just a stall and gears on an A4. And another guy claiming all it takes is gears for an A4 to break into 11.9's.......

Being someone who owns a stalled A4 with a fairly large cam....and longtubes.....and custom y-pipe........and a shift kit.........and lid.......and cat delete.......and a magnaflow........and a tune.................... I doubt I'm in any position to argue with these two guys..........

I just wish I knew that info before......
Old 11-12-2008 | 05:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tainted
360hp?

lets be real. a 98-02 f body is normally at about 335-345 stock at the flywheel. there are some freaks yes, and some are also way below
Yeah lets be real, comparing 98-00 with 01-02 LS1’s and saying that the average is the following is not realistic. Considering that the 01-02 cars came with different intakes, exhaust manifolds, camshafts, better flowing catbacks, and even lids from the factory. Your data is skewed, 01-02 cars are typically stronger on the dyno it is a well known fact, getting 305rwhp from an 01-02 is far from being a factory freak.
Old 11-12-2008 | 05:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by swamie100
[
You are right a manual car should always be faster in NHRA and IHRA both index the manual cars in stock eleimator 1 tenth quicker.
Are we talking about NHRA or IHRA? Did not think so……………. Looks like the conversation is about 4th generation F-bodies and the fact that A4’s with stalls were much faster.
Old 11-12-2008 | 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigBake
Yeah lets be real, comparing 98-00 with 01-02 LS1’s and saying that the average is the following is not realistic. Considering that the 01-02 cars came with different intakes, exhaust manifolds, camshafts, better flowing catbacks, and even lids from the factory. Your data is skewed, 01-02 cars are typically stronger on the dyno it is a well known fact, getting 305rwhp from an 01-02 is far from being a factory freak.
Regardless of the factory power a 2002 does not have the capability to run low 7s in the 1/8th(probably low 11s quarter).
Old 11-12-2008 | 08:41 AM
Teching In

Smile

Are we talking about NHRA or IHRA? Did not think so……………. Looks like the conversation is about 4th generation F-bodies and the fact that A4’s with stalls were much faster.
They are the only sanctioning bodies there are for drag racing. They should no what is faster in setting up there class rules. It stands to reason a stock car that puts 10 to 15 more horse power to the ground should be faster. 4th gen cars are very popular in those classes. I due agree in a stock car a converter picks your stock car up 3 tenths in a quarter more if you have mods a lot more if you have a big cam. Back on topic 7.3 in an 1/8 with just gears and converter is wrong maybe 8.3. Bone stock they were like 8.7 and for your info gears and converter will not change your trap speed much.
Old 11-12-2008 | 10:16 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Question

Originally Posted by BLK85
No use arguing with people that are completely wrong. I doubt the guy you quoted runs 113mph with 335whp. I run 112 all the time with 360whp. The 1/4 time of 11.8 I could believe, but mph is determined by power. So this guy has less power than me but ran 1mph faster. Theres something more to this story. Just because you run a quick time once, that doesnt mean crap to me.
Wait, you're doubting my trap speed?
That's funny, I actually thought my trap speed was kind of low LOL.

I did in fact dyno only 335rwhp on a Dynojet and I did in fact trap 113.62 (I'd only hit the 113s twice, all of my other passes during that period were in the high 112s).
Keep in mind that 335rwhp on a dyno is not necessarily still only 335rwhp out on the track where the air is hitting the free ram air/filter/lid with a little more force and also where the MAF/IATs can take advantage of the extremely cold air that I ran those numbers in. It was probably the 2nd or 3rd best quality air I've ever raced in.
Old 11-13-2008 | 05:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Wait, you're doubting my trap speed?
That's funny, I actually thought my trap speed was kind of low LOL.

I did in fact dyno only 335rwhp on a Dynojet and I did in fact trap 113.62 (I'd only hit the 113s twice, all of my other passes during that period were in the high 112s).
Keep in mind that 335rwhp on a dyno is not necessarily still only 335rwhp out on the track where the air is hitting the free ram air/filter/lid with a little more force and also where the MAF/IATs can take advantage of the extremely cold air that I ran those numbers in. It was probably the 2nd or 3rd best quality air I've ever raced in.
The problem is you are not talking to people with any common sense. I did 22 passes the day I went 11.87@113.5mph, My slowest slip was a 12.07@112.7mph, not exactly one pass in a million. I hit 113 quite a few times and at two different tracks and yet my car only dynoed 326rwhp. No matter how many times you put it out there these people cannot comprehend track elevation, density altitude, and the track itself all contribute to running quick times and fast trap speeds.

Further a couple of them in here have no idea what a converter does, one guy saying it will only add 3 tenths and maybe more if you have internal mods like a camshaft. All I had was a set of headers and a lid, and just by changing the stock converter for a Yank ST3500 I went from 12.6’s down to 11.8’s, that is whole lot more than just 3 tenths, and I surely did not need internal engine mods to go quicker.

The top 50 stock internal with bolt on list would not be on this site if it did bear any significance. People keep saying it is not possible to run a 7.3 in a 4th gen car, and yet there are several cars on that top 50 list that have done just that. If I was running 7.5’s with a small 3500rpm converter and there were guys running quicker times with a looser converter some as high as 4600rpm it is not hard to figure out they were 7.3’s and low 11 cars.
Old 11-13-2008 | 09:58 AM
Banned

The problem is you are not talking to people with any common sense. I did 22 passes the day I went 11.87@113.5mph, My slowest slip was a 12.07@112.7mph, not exactly one pass in a million. I hit 113 quite a few times and at two different tracks and yet my car only dynoed 326rwhp. No matter how many times you put it out there these people cannot comprehend track elevation, density altitude, and the track itself all contribute to running quick times and fast trap speeds.

Further a couple of them in here have no idea what a converter does, one guy saying it will only add 3 tenths and maybe more if you have internal mods like a camshaft. All I had was a set of headers and a lid, and just by changing the stock converter for a Yank ST3500 I went from 12.6’s down to 11.8’s, that is whole lot more than just 3 tenths, and I surely did not need internal engine mods to go quicker.

The top 50 stock internal with bolt on list would not be on this site if it did bear any significance. People keep saying it is not possible to run a 7.3 in a 4th gen car, and yet there are several cars on that top 50 list that have done just that. If I was running 7.5’s with a small 3500rpm converter and there were guys running quicker times with a looser converter some as high as 4600rpm it is not hard to figure out they were 7.3’s and low 11 cars.
I keep trying to tell these 6 speed guys but they dont get it
i dont have a scanner but i have 2 of my dyno sheets sitting in front of me, both have the same engine mods which is a trex, flowtech headers, and a lid..... my 6 speed put down 406rwhp and 368 lbft/torque then i put a built turbo 350 with a 4000 stall and with the same exact car, same engine, just different transmission it laid down 386rwhp 462lbft/torque now i did lose 20 hp through the automatic but i gained almost 100ftlbs/ torque !!! not to mention WHERE THE POWER WAS MADE!!! with the auto i made 462 lb/ft at 3000rpm and it stayed there til redline, the 6 speed made 312 ft/lb at 3000rpm and started growning til redline, so just at 3000rpm the stalled auto had 110lb/ft more torque, also my hp on the auto pretty much stayed the same and flat lined, at 3000rpm i made 308hp with the auto, at 3000rpm the 6 speed had 204 hp thats over 100hp less at the same rpm with the same motor!!! my peak hp with the auto had 386hp but it made that at 3750rpm til redline, the 6 speed made 406hp but not til 6250rpm, at 3750rpm it only had 252hp, thats 134rwhp difference!!! to match the 386hp my auto has the 6 speed had to be at 5500rpm!!! so yeah the 6 speed makes more hp but only for a split second then you have to shift and all that power is lost and you have to build it up again, i was 8 tenths faster in the 1/8 with the same set up just a different transmission!!! A STALLED AUTO MAKES PEAK POWER AT LOW RPM ALLTHE WAY THROUGH THE REDLINE!!! the whole time you are in peak power pretty much and the 6 speed everytime you shift you have to build that power up again for example at wide open throttle down the track at redline when you shift your rpms drop to around 4500rpm maybe a little less and at 4500rpm the 6 speed only made 292rwhp, now the stalled auto at wide open throttle will never drop below 5000rpm going down the track and at 5000 rpm it produced 356rwhp heck even at 4500rpm it made 344rwhp,...... also you have to consider TORQUE MULTIPLICATION!!! and TORQUE is what takes the weight of a 3500lb car and gets it moving from a dead stop

Last edited by bjjblackbelt; 11-13-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-14-2008 | 09:44 AM
Teching In

Smile

Originally Posted by bjjblackbelt
i dont have a scanner but i have 2 of my dyno sheets sitting in front of me, both have the same engine mods which is a trex, flowtech headers, and a lid..... my 6 speed put down 406rwhp and 368 lbft/torque then i put a built turbo 350 with a 4000 stall and with the same exact car, same engine, just different transmission it laid down 386rwhp 462lbft/torque now i did lose 20 hp through the automatic but i gained almost 100ftlbs/ torque !!!

Do you think you can have more Torque on a chasis dyno than a flywheel dyno? If you think so I can understand our confusion I can say with reasonable confidence you will always have more torque and horsepower on a flywheel dyno. Your torque multiplication does not exist once your converter is locked up or past the flash point of your converter. So if you have a 347 cu ls1 with a stock bottom end making 462pounds of torque to the wheels that is special because that would be around 550 fly wheel foot lbs. I have never seen numbers even close to that that,it would actually be a very wild build on a stock ci engine without a power additive.

Last edited by swamie100; 11-14-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2008 | 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bjjblackbelt
i dont have a scanner but i have 2 of my dyno sheets sitting in front of me, both have the same engine mods which is a trex, flowtech headers, and a lid..... my 6 speed put down 406rwhp and 368 lbft/torque then i put a built turbo 350 with a 4000 stall and with the same exact car, same engine, just different transmission it laid down 386rwhp 462lbft/torque now i did lose 20 hp through the automatic but i gained almost 100ftlbs/ torque !!!
Wow your car must be the only one in LS1 history to do that. I was looking through the dyno results on this page and there isnt a single car that has more torque than it does hp. You must have something very special done to your car. Hell I know of like 3 gas engines in History to have more torque than hp.
Old 11-14-2008 | 10:01 AM
9 Second Club

Do you think you can have more Torque on a chasis dyno than a flywheel dyno? If you think so I can understand our confusion I can say with reasonable confidence you will always have more torque and horsepower on a flywheel dyno. Your torque multiplication does not exist once your converter is locked up or past the flash point of your converter. So if you have a 347 cu ls1 with a stock bottom end making 462pounds of torque to the wheels that is special because that would be around 550 fly wheel foot lbs. I have never seen numbers even close to that that,it would actually be a very wild build on a stock ci engine without a power additive.

It's ok, I think he had a crazy torque spike, and is calling that his actual rwtq dyno #. It's cool, we'll just have to wait and see once the new car gets out on the track. That, or i need to get my car on that dyno.....I'd love to see what kind of #'s it would spit out, haha.
Old 11-14-2008 | 11:07 AM
Banned

Wow your car must be the only one in LS1 history to do that. I was looking through the dyno results on this page and there isnt a single car that has more torque than it does hp. You must have something very special done to your car. Hell I know of like 3 gas engines in History to have more torque than hp.
it depends on how you build you car, a stock ls1 was rated at 325hp and 350lbft/torque so is that one of the 3 gas engines in history to do that??? yeah put on a big turbo and you will have more hp than torque, put a high rpm cam and you will have more hp than torque, it depends on how you build your car, and all the guys in the dyno room are going for high hp so they build their cars specifically for hp and not torque..... i have my dyno sheets sitting right in front of me and why would i lie about it??? i was comparing what numbers my car did on the dyno with the 6 speed and then with a th350 and 4000 stall and showing you the difference of what a high stall does, both times it was dyno tuned at the same place on the same dyno THE ONLY DIFFERENCE WAS THE TRANSMISSION and i was trying to help you understand the different power band a high stalled auto has compared to a 6 speed manual and also help you understand torque multiplication cuz your not getting the picture, also there are alot of guys posting up 7.50's in the 1/8th with just a stall and gears and you are saying its not possible for a 330rwhp car to do that and there are many many people that are doing it every time they go to the track,..... you are wondering how they can do that cuz you have higher hp and you launch at 5000 rpm and your not doing 7.50's and im trying to help you by explaining the difference between 6 speed and high stalled auto from real expierences from me going from a t56 to a th350 and 4000 stall
Old 11-14-2008 | 11:23 AM
Banned

well those numbers are true, with a ls1 and a trex cam and cheap flowtech headers, no power adder, one run was with the stock t-56 and the other was a built th350 with a 4000 stall...... i dont have a scanner or i would put both t-56 and th-350 dyno sheets on here to show yall,.... but then again im sure if i did post them up the people that dosent know much about high stall auto's yall would say the th-350 dyno was with alot of nitrous or something but NO im comparing apples to apples the only difference is the transmission
Old 11-14-2008 | 01:30 PM
9 Second Club

TH350

T56

Oddly enough, I just so happen to have a scanner, Oh yea, and a car with a Trex that had a T56 that went to a TH350.

Above are two back to back pulls. The only change is T56 to a TH350/stall.

Please....TEACH ME O WISE ONE. I mean, I know i don't know much....

Last edited by tim99ws6; 11-14-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2008 | 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

First of all by not having more tq than hp I mean like massive abount more tq than hp, like you claim you do. I have yet to see anything even close to being similar to your car. Correct me if Im wrong(actually I know Im not wrong) the TREX is a cam that likes a lot of RPMs. So by your own admission "put a high rpm cam and you will have more hp than torque" you are more or less saying your set up has more hp than tq?

Heres Thunder Racings results of the cam:
http://www.thunderracing.com/dynogra...n=read&pgid=60

Heres a guy with a 4400 stall:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/2851051-post1.html

Heres another:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...o-numbers.html

Every chart I look at the tq is slightly more than hp or about 50 points less than HP. So tell me how you supposadly have roughly 75 points more tq than HP? And dont tell me its because of your Auto because 2 of the cars I posted were A4s for sure.

There is NO way you gained so much tq from switching to an auto.

"i have my dyno sheets sitting right in front of me and why would i lie about it???"

Post it up...
Old 11-14-2008 | 02:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
TH350

T56

Oddly enough, I just so happen to have a scanner, Oh yea, and a car with a Trex that had a T56 that went to a TH350.

Above are two back to back pulls. The only change is T56 to a TH350/stall.

Please....TEACH ME O WISE ONE. I mean, I know i don't know much....
sure thing wise one im wondering how your stalled th-350 has less torwue than the t-56????? also at 4500rpms your only making 250lb/ft or torque??? thats less than a stock ls1??? go to http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...4322&engCat=ls this is a stock ls1 on the dyno at 4500rpm it has 370ft/lbs of torque!!! thats a stock ls1 not a trex ls1 and whatever else you got??? to me your numbers dont add up, you must have like a 1800 stall or something
Old 11-14-2008 | 02:04 PM
Banned

First of all by not having more tq than hp I mean like massive abount more tq than hp, like you claim you do. I have yet to see anything even close to being similar to your car. Correct me if Im wrong(actually I know Im not wrong) the TREX is a cam that likes a lot of RPMs. So by your own admission "put a high rpm cam and you will have more hp than torque" you are more or less saying your set up has more hp than tq?

Heres Thunder Racings results of the cam:
http://www.thunderracing.com/dynogra...n=read&pgid=60

Heres a guy with a 4400 stall:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/2851051-post1.html

Heres another:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...o-numbers.html

Every chart I look at the tq is slightly more than hp or about 50 points less than HP. So tell me how you supposadly have roughly 75 points more tq than HP? And dont tell me its because of your Auto because 2 of the cars I posted were A4s for sure.

There is NO way you gained so much tq from switching to an auto.

"i have my dyno sheets sitting right in front of me and why would i lie about it???"

Post it up...
i dont want to get in a childish my dick is bigger than your dick argument im telling you the truth believe me or dont and when i can get access to a scanner i will show you what im talking about

Quick Reply: to all of you doubters on weight!!!!!!!