http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...leId=121044#34

this just shows the gto and camaro are 1 in the same
Old 12-10-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sunset35th
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...leId=121044#34

this just shows the gto and camaro are 1 in the same
No, that shows you can hack up a GTO chassis to make some one-off Camaro panels fit.
The 2010 Camaro is riding on a shortened version of the next generation platform the GTO had. Its like saying the 3rd gen camaro is the same as the 4th gen because you can modify the chassis to make panels fit
Old 12-10-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok sorry ,saw that and from what i saw it was the same lenth
Old 12-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sanddperformance
I was wondering if any of you guys feel the same way about the new camaro. NO! I am a huge gm fan but the car is not going to save them. NO SINGLE CAR TRUCK ETC. IS GOING TO SAVE ANY CAR COMPANY. "There once was a car called a VW bug. They all looked the same, everyone had one. The auto industry changed. The bug went away and was replaced by something else.

Look at how big of a hit the gto was. HOLDEN MADE A CAR THAT COULD BE ALTERED AND CALLED A GTO. ALL THE GTO FOLKS COULDN'T BUY ENOUGH OF THEM TO MAKE THEM A HIT. The camaro is built( DESIGNED) by the same people and has irs. I like how it looks but there should be an option for a solid rear. DESIGN A SOLID REAR FOR THIS CAR. SPEND THE MONEY DO IT RIGHT. SELL IT TO GM - YOU CAN GO BROKE TOGETHER. IN 40 YEARS OF SELL CARS. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANYONE FALL ON THE GROUND AND LOOK UNDER THE CAR TO LOOK FOR ANYTHING. I am gm guy but ford is where I would go to buy a new car to built parts on and take to the track. Ford offers several different options for a fast off the floor car. Is gm going to have 2 option v6 or v8 that is no fun. Just my two cents
GM ISN'T BUILDING THE CAR FOR YOU. No one builds a car to be raced.. IF YOU WANT A FORD PLEASE BUY ONE AND ENJOY IT.

Jakes Dad
Old 12-10-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
GM ISN'T BUILDING THE CAR FOR YOU. No one builds a car to be raced.. IF YOU WANT A FORD PLEASE BUY ONE AND ENJOY IT.

Jakes Dad
No one builds a car to be raced? Then why would GM spend so much time and money developing their performance cars on various race tracks (like Germany's Nurburgring, which they have to rent out and fly their cars over to race, not cheap), or even build their own track (GM built a track that resembles the n-ring so they don't have to constantly fly over there to test)?
Or do you think that GM spent the time and money developing the Camaro's suspension, brakes, and engine just for low RPM <60mph street cruising?
For the people bitching about the IRS, get over it. Its a FAR superior setup than a solid axle, seriously if you care that your car gets .01 seconds slower in the 60ft at the dragstrip you visit monthly then a $30,000 Camaro SS with track tuned (handling) suspension is not for you. Buy an old fox body mustang and drop in an LS1.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sunset35th
ok sorry ,saw that and from what i saw it was the same lenth
quote from article:
"Since the GTO with its 109.8-inch wheelbase is already about the same size as the Camaro Concept with its 110.5-inch wheelbase, the Australian-built Pontiac became a natural base upon which to build the two Bumblebees. But the GTO is built around a unitized structure, so Saleen couldn't simply drop a new body onto the chassis. "Basically it was reverse-engineered by our build team," explains Bryan Chambers, the director of production at Saleen. "We had less than 45 days to build both cars so it was a barn-burner."

To simplify, the bodies were chopped off the two 5.7-liter, LS1-powered GTOs while box frames of steel were welded up to compensate for the lost structure. Then a team led by Jon Zorn in Saleen's showcar body shop grafted on the GM-supplied fiberglass bodies that had bee"
Old 12-10-2008, 02:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 69SS396
I'm a Chevy guy and would definitely buy a Shelby, which appear to be strong enough to put 650 to 700 at the wheels. Is the LSX able to hold this kind of power or get there fairly cheap?
How much is a Shelby Mustang, mid 40's? I have no idea.

I'm sure you could put 600-650 to the wheels in a new Camaro with a stock bottom end. Folks have been doing 500-600rwhp with stock bottom end LS1's for over 7 years.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
No one builds a car to be raced? Then why would GM spend so much time and money developing their performance cars on various race tracks (like Germany's Nurburgring, which they have to rent out and fly their cars over to race, not cheap), or even build their own track (GM built a track that resembles the n-ring so they don't have to constantly fly over there to test)?
Or do you think that GM spent the time and money developing the Camaro's suspension, brakes, and engine just for low RPM <60mph street cruising?
For the people bitching about the IRS, get over it. Its a FAR superior setup than a solid axle, seriously if you care that your car gets .01 seconds slower in the 60ft at the dragstrip you visit monthly then a $30,000 Camaro SS with track tuned (handling) suspension is not for you. Buy an old fox body mustang and drop in an LS1.
They built what and then want's tax payers to bailout their company ???GM should have been building capital instead of racetracks . Just kidding guys this was probably minimal compared too other things going on with their finance's.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BLUE OVAL TURBO
They built what and then want's tax payers to bailout their company ???GM should have been building capital instead of racetracks . Just kidding guys this was probably minimal compared too other things going on with their finance's.
This was before many of their problems:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features..._anyway_column

But its no different than building a test facility for their cars.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
How much is a Shelby Mustang, mid 40's? I have no idea.

I'm sure you could put 600-650 to the wheels in a new Camaro with a stock bottom end. Folks have been doing 500-600rwhp with stock bottom end LS1's for over 7 years.
I have been looking at used Shelby with low miles going for about 35K. Wanted to buy used and use the money for an upgraded blower.

I'm not up to speed on the LS3 in the Camaro and didn't know if it could handle a blower and put down those kind of numbers. Glad to see 600rwhp can be done.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

GM took the good things about the GTO, made them better, and wrapped them in the new Camaro. The GTO's problem was that most people think it looks like a Grand Prix so it didn't sell very well. If GM advertises the new Camaro properly they will sell a ton of them.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

I know of a few guys who have been waiting very patiently to buy a new 2010 Camaro to use as thier new drag radial cars. Unfortunately, most drag radial class rules insist on stock suspension. While this new IRS may be better than most, i doubt you're going to get low 1.20 60fts using it and that (or better) is what it takes to be competitive. SO, yes, they scared off a few. As for how many people will actually buy one, I did my part. Mine has been on order for a month or so and I look forward to testing its limits
Old 12-11-2008, 02:25 AM
dms
Teching In

Originally Posted by sanddperformance
I was wondering if any of you guys feel the same way about the new camaro. I am a huge gm fan but the car is not going to save them. Look at how big of a hit the gto was. The camaro is built by the same people and has irs. I like how it looks but there should be an option for a solid rear. Is the diff going to blow apart when you put upgrades on it like cts vs and gtos do. I am gm guy but ford is where I would go to buy a new car to built parts on and take to the track. Ford offers several different options for a fast off the floor car. Is gm going to have 2 option v6 or v8 that is no fun. Just my two cents
there are huge differences between the Camaro and the GTO. to start, Holden is not going to make the Camaro. It will be made in Canada and by GM of North America. The suspension system is a lot better on the Camaro than the GTO. The styling of the Camaro is leap years ahead of the GTO.

Do not get me wrong, however, I love the GTO. But the Camaro is cooler.But for me, here is my next ride:

or at least the USA version: G8ST

mike
dms
Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
The Camaro will do alot better than the GTO.The GTO was more of a older person's car were the Camaro suit's all ages.
I know many GTO owners and most are in their 20's. Of course you may consider someone in their 20's older, I don't know.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Teching In

wow that g8st is what i wanna get....price with shipping to 61301?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Codefive
I know of a few guys who have been waiting very patiently to buy a new 2010 Camaro to use as thier new drag radial cars. Unfortunately, most drag radial class rules insist on stock suspension. While this new IRS may be better than most, i doubt you're going to get low 1.20 60fts using it and that (or better) is what it takes to be competitive. SO, yes, they scared off a few. As for how many people will actually buy one, I did my part. Mine has been on order for a month or so and I look forward to testing its limits
Well this was kinda my point. Why spend all that extra money on a car that was designed and engineered to turn and stop when they aren't going to use it? Its like buying a NASA space ship, but only using it to drive on the ground. Whats the point of that? You could buy something cheaper to use for that. I.E. if all they care about is how hard they launch then why not just buy some cheap car and mod it?
And either way GM would probably be putting a 10 bolt in the car anyway(which would hurt both ride quality and handling), so they would want to replace the rear end still.
IRS is a smart move, they will attract more customers than they draw away, and the ones they draw away are usually the people that gave the Camaro the mullet stereotype to begin with...
Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 AM
dms
Teching In

Well this was kinda my point. Why spend all that extra money on a car that was designed and engineered to turn and stop when they aren't going to use it? Its like buying a NASA space ship, but only using it to drive on the ground. Whats the point of that? You could buy something cheaper to use for that. I.E. if all they care about is how hard they launch then why not just buy some cheap car and mod it?
And either way GM would probably be putting a 10 bolt in the car anyway(which would hurt both ride quality and handling), so they would want to replace the rear end still.
IRS is a smart move, they will attract more customers than they draw away, and the ones they draw away are usually the people that gave the Camaro the mullet stereotype to begin with...
there are a lot of GTOs running in the mid 11's with IRS. Granted it is not the best setup for drag racing, but neither is the Vette, and those are drag raced all the time. I know of one GTO that puts down 865 rhwp and he has IRS.

There are serious advantages in handling with IRS.

But the biggest dissadvantage of the Camaro for drag racing is not the IRS, but the lack of tire size. This will also be a major limiting factor of the Camaro and all ZETA vehicles for the twisties as well. Being able to run a big tire is one of the major advantages of the VETTE.

The GTO is more than competitive at the drags with a Vette. But thru the twisties, autocrossing, etc, the Vette has a serious advantage

But what a fun ride it will be!!

mike
dms
Old 12-11-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camaro looking like the GTO is the stupidest "this car looks like this car" comparison I've ever heard.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think they are kinda similar.

theyre both pigs
Old 12-12-2008, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Hope they wont be delayed from the bail out failure in the senate. I ended up buying an 09 Challenger RT six speed, but wanted to test drive the Camaro to, may never be able to do that now. The IRS is great for handling in the corners, even at 4,000 pounds. Its not bad for drag racing either, no wheel hop and takes off smooth. They are designed off the previous Gen Mercedes E class though. The Camaro IRS should do well also.

Quick Reply: New Camaro alot like a gto