Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

New Camaro alot like a gto

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraxum
It is also sad to see the Mustang winning the lightweight race if only by a little. If they ever put a strong motor in the GT and improve the handling it has a built in advantage.
At the rate Ford is going, by 2015 the Mustang GT may be able to compete with a 2010 Camaro SS in performance. So I don't think we have to worry about that. The 6th generation Camaro will most likely be lighter if the 5th gen sells well enough.

The Camaro has very little added content over the 4th gen, why couldn't they keep the weight down?
You're kidding right?
WAY bigger wheels/tires/brakes, overall taller and wider car, and not to mention its riding on the chassis of a large sports sedan. If it had its own one off chassis like the Fbodies did, then this would be different.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1
Just thought this was interesting.. All those STILL complaining about how heavy this car is, along with the GTO.

Anyone read the newest Motor Trend with the Corvette ZR1 and 2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano comparo?

Anyone notice that the $354k Ferrari weighs in at 3,975lbs? That is a 2 seater supercar that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, so why couldn't they get the weight on that car down?
They were not trying to make a lightweight sports car. They wanted to make fast and luxurious GT super car. If they wanted to make it lightweight they could have, look at the F430 Scuderia, it comes in at just over 3000lbs.
The fact still remains that you cannot deny the laws of physics, making a car lighter improves its acceleration, braking, handling, and gas mileage.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightweight, stripped out cars are not what the public wants.

They want 6 to 10 airbags.

They want navigation and a 10 speaker stero.

They want power, heated seats covered in leather.

They want stiff, strong cars able to take a serious hit and protect them.

They want all the "necessities" and those things are heavy.

GM didn't design this car for the enthusiast, they designed it for the bulk of the buyers, the general public.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

At the rate Ford is going, by 2015 the Mustang GT may be able to compete with a 2010 Camaro SS in performance. So I don't think we have to worry about that. The 6th generation Camaro will most likely be lighter if the 5th gen sells well enough.

I might be inclined to say this statement is true, but it will all depend on how much of the sales pie that the Camaro SS and Challenger RT takes from the Mustang GT. If the GT still significantly outsells both the RT and the SS , Ford probably will make small incremental increase's like in the past.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You're kidding right?
WAY bigger wheels/tires/brakes, overall taller and wider car, and not to mention its riding on the chassis of a large sports sedan. If it had its own one off chassis like the Fbodies did, then this would be different.
No I am not kidding. Is a taller wheel content? 20" wheels are bling IMO. The brakes I will give you. Being built on a larger platform is the main reason for the extra weight. GM has smaller rear drive platforms it could have used. Why didnt they?

The original pony car formula was a smaller lighter car that gave great acceleration and good handling with midsize engines. Chrysler was the first to use a full mid size platform and the '70 Barracuda and Challenger were a bit boat-like and performed exactly like the R/T and GTX as a result. Now both Chrysler and GM are building boatish pony cars. Of course the Challenger is the worst offender. By far the best looking of the new pony cars but a bit silly in size and weight.

I do like the Camaro but I sure wish it was 500 pounds less. Then I would be getting one for sure when my 335i lease expires. In fact I would be counting the days.

As it is now I will consider a modded GTO and maybe the G8 GXP since as everyone is saying is almost identical to the Camaro and has a more useful 4 doors. Or maybe just buy the 335i and mod it to run low 12s with simple tune mods.

And I do not accept cars getting heavier and heavier as an unavoidable fate of all new models.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Just thought this was interesting.. All those STILL complaining about how heavy this car is, along with the GTO.

Anyone read the newest Motor Trend with the Corvette ZR1 and 2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano comparo?

Anyone notice that the $354k Ferrari weighs in at 3,975lbs? That is a 2 seater supercar that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, so why couldn't they get the weight on that car down?

Facts are simple, cars are getting heavier AND more powerful along with better designed suspensions etc.. so it all equals out

GET OVER IT!
Old 12-27-2008, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GeorgeInNePa
Lightweight, stripped out cars are not what the public wants.

They want 6 to 10 airbags.

They want navigation and a 10 speaker stero.

They want power, heated seats covered in leather.

They want stiff, strong cars able to take a serious hit and protect them.

They want all the "necessities" and those things are heavy.

GM didn't design this car for the enthusiast, they designed it for the bulk of the buyers, the general public.
True, it's not what I necessarily want/need but it is what Joe Public wants and if it helps sell more cars for Chevrolet/GM then it's ok by me.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True, it's not what I necessarily want/need but it is what Joe Public wants and if it helps sell more cars for Chevrolet/GM then it's ok by me.

That is what I mean. If I can buy a "new" Camaro, cheap, a few years from now, I'll be ecstatic!

Old 12-28-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

The IRS is good to go, and the GTO's don't break them very easily and the new camaros' will be even better

Whoever said there have only been three GTO's in the 12's stock thats untrue, there are multiple, it is definitely not unheard of to see a stock down to the paper filter 05-06 gto go 12's when driven well and the track conditions are favorable.

The new camaro can't be compared to the GTO, two different platforms....different engines, suspension, everything....
Old 12-28-2008, 02:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
Whoever said there have only been three GTO's in the 12's stock thats untrue, there are multiple, it is definitely not unheard of to see a stock down to the paper filter 05-06 gto go 12's when driven well and the track conditions are favorable.
Oh ok, I was just going by some of the lists on LS1GTO.com that showed that info...I would assume that there has to be more of the bone stock LS2 cars in the 12s in good air.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

ls1gto.com's track time lists is a joke....I don't know if they keep up with that very regularly. That whole site has gone to hell anyways.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Facts are simple, cars are getting heavier AND more powerful along with better designed suspensions etc.. so it all equals out

GET OVER IT!
Exactly, and many people would be surprised to find out how much the new EVO and STI weigh, check it out, those tiny *** little cars are 3700-3900 lbs, and are still considered some of the best for handling
Old 12-28-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fraxum
No I am not kidding. Is a taller wheel content? 20" wheels are bling IMO. The brakes I will give you. Being built on a larger platform is the main reason for the extra weight. GM has smaller rear drive platforms it could have used. Why didnt they?
They didn't have a smaller RWD platform that would seat 4 to my knowledge. But with that said I wish they could have built one, or modified the Kappa platform for the Camaro.

And I do not accept cars getting heavier and heavier as an unavoidable fate of all new models.
+1 Im all for making cars lighter.

Originally Posted by hc8719
Exactly, and many people would be surprised to find out how much the new EVO and STI weigh, check it out, those tiny *** little cars are 3700-3900 lbs, and are still considered some of the best for handling
I'm not sure where you are getting this from, but new STi's are 3400lbs and new EVO's are 3600lbs.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

They didn't have a smaller RWD platform that would seat 4 to my knowledge. But with that said I wish they could have built one, or modified the Kappa platform for the Camaro.
What about the Epsilon II platform which does AWD?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ons_specs.html

3350 lbs? Couldn't they shoehorn a compacted LSx in there? Didn't they think of a longitudinal engine position option? Shame on them if not. World car indeed.

Or better yet how about a 4 seat Solstice with a little stretch? We already know the LS fits in there. And using this platform for the Camaro would have justified a real coupe version.

Let's see the Solstice is 2800 lbs. Let's say the LS3 and 2 back jump seats adds 4-500 pounds. So 3,300 pounds. What other car has 430 Horsepower at around this weight?

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/chev...mktid=ik344169

Well we wouldn't want the Camaro to challenge the Corvette at $15k less now would we?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not sure where you are getting this from, but new STi's are 3400lbs and new EVO's are 3600lbs.
Still pretty damn heavy for such relatively small vehicles.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sanddperformance
I was wondering if any of you guys feel the same way about the new camaro. I am a huge gm fan but the car is not going to save them. Look at how big of a hit the gto was. The camaro is built by the same people and has irs. I like how it looks but there should be an option for a solid rear. Is the diff going to blow apart when you put upgrades on it like cts vs and gtos do. I am gm guy but ford is where I would go to buy a new car to built parts on and take to the track. Ford offers several different options for a fast off the floor car. Is gm going to have 2 option v6 or v8 that is no fun. Just my two cents
Because the 10 bolt and the 8.8 28 spline are so strong? Get some slicks on them and let's see how long those differentials last.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO
Because the 10 bolt and the 8.8 28 spline are so strong?
Actually the 8.8 is pretty damn strong, even with only 28 spline axles.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Actually the 8.8 is pretty damn strong, even with only 28 spline axles.
Mmmm, I've seen several axles break when you put some slicks on.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO
Mmmm, I've seen several axles break when you put some slicks on.
True, I guess a lot depends on power output, driver's skill, tire and track prep etc.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Time well tell if the Camaro will separate itself from the fate of the GTO. Being a GM fan I hope it does.
Weird everybody talks down about the mustang, but ford sells the crap out of the cars, even if they only have a 315hp V8. Ford will never dump the mustang. Funny how Gm dumped the camaro without even trying to do anything with the car. That leads me to believe that if there are poor sales of the Camaro for about say 3 years, the camaro will have the same fate as the GTO.
Have to say that GM has the best power plants around. That ls motor has really taken off since 1997.

Quick Reply: New Camaro alot like a gto