Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Camaro SS vs. 335i

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oifish
hahaha I thought that picture is funny, BRING BACK THE MULLET

and it shows the functionality of the interior! Look how many cig packs I can cram in the center console! such convenience!
Good 1!
I think after somebody here gets 1 we should post up pics with mullets on and photochop a dear across the front.

But like someone else said we should also take a pic of one of the metallic painted 3's I see the dealers driving around in. LOL!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TT632
I drove a 335 recently and it was a very nice car, tight, predictable handling and great power in a stock vehicle. Exactly what I would expect from it. I don't purchase Foreign cars since I prefer supporting American jobs, but even if this was an American car I could not imagine buying one. Can't quite put my finger on it but there is no attraction and no soul whats so ever in BMW products, except maybe the M1 or the Isetta (Gag). It's almost as though they are a better handling, more powerful version of a Honda Accord.
Camaro vs BMW is like comparing a dirt bike to a cruiser.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whom ever was trying to support the 335i on here needs to understand what site they are on...hello, LS1tech...its a chevy thing huh...now I love my GM products and will own them til' the day I die, I currently own 3 (Z-71, TBSS, WS6 TA), BUT to deny the type of vehicle the 335i sedan is...STUPID and CLOSE MINDED...until this year with the G8 and new CTS-V, GM had nothing in sedan form, that was in the same breath as this 335i. I mean, I understand some BMW owners are snobby, most car mags think BMW hung the moon, and its the ultimate driving machine yadda yadda yadda, but IT IS a well rounded car. It can accelerate, brake, handle, etc AND get good mileage. Its a VERY complete and competent vehicle. By and large you have to go to a vette or CTS-V to find an american car to compete...yeah, the G8 is right there, but the MPG is NO contest and with a $500 piggy back JB3, it has trapped 120 in the 1/4.

Point being, I think we all understand each others points, but the 335i is a RESPECTABLE performer, gets reasonable marks for economy and practicality, and is decently luxurious I guess (although, to me the interior is rather average).

My wife drives a 335i...I do enjoy getting in it and finding a nice curvy back road and having a "spirited" drive...it does perform well. Like someone mentioned earlier, if I were planning on leaving a vehicle "stock" it would be a top pick, but since I'm not planning on that, we'll be trading it in this spring on our RS/SS camaro.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

335i a nice car more for a women
Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

That picture made my day, just one alteration i might have made is replace the iron maden album with a motley crue album.

It's funny about that gun next to the driver seat, i was pulling an 06 gto(i think the camaro and gto have the same demographic) into the shop for service and the dude had a beretta nine milly wedged inbetween the driverseat and the console.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Nwmembr19: My final thought also. Thank you for finally realizing that I was only stating my opinion, just like everyone else. However to say that I have not a done comparison test between an LS1 f-body and a 335I shows that you're not paying attention to what I wrote. I have driven them back to back, and that's how I formed my driving opinion. No I don't have my own skid pad numbers or anything but that doesn't make my impressions any less real. We'll leave it at that.
Finally, I am quite honored that my OPINION has such a deep and profound affect on you, THANK YOU!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pharmd
Whom ever was trying to support the 335i on here needs to understand what site they are on...hello, LS1tech...its a chevy thing huh...now I love my GM products and will own them til' the day I die, I currently own 3 (Z-71, TBSS, WS6 TA)
I've owned 8 f bods since I started driving in 1983, and have never not owned a either a Z28, Vette, TA or GTO.... ever. I've had an LSX car since 1998. I can fully understand why people here would prefer GM. But the reasons I'm hearing are pretty gay. If you don't like the looks, understood. If you just prefer a V8, I'm with ya. If you want to "buy American", cool. But don't like a BMW because of an owner stereotype, even though there are as many dumbasses that own GM... LOL. The 335 is an amazing car, as much as I tried to deny myself.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 325trooper
I've owned 8 f bods since I started driving in 1983, and have never not owned a either a Z28, Vette, TA or GTO.... ever. I've had an LSX car since 1998. I can fully understand why people here would prefer GM. But the reasons I'm hearing are pretty gay. If you don't like the looks, understood. If you just prefer a V8, I'm with ya. If you want to "buy American", cool. But don't like a BMW because of an owner stereotype, even though there are as many dumbasses that own GM... LOL. The 335 is an amazing car, as much as I tried to deny myself.
My point exactly...close minded maybe??? How bout a compromise, an LS3 powered 335?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:15 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

How bout a compromise, an LS3 powered 335?
Nice.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nwmembr19
Besides the fact that i do not believe a 2008 bmw335 will wax a 10yr old 1998 m6 z28 in a straight line. Which is sad.
I have owned a '98 Z28 6M and now a 2007 335i 6M. The BMW is/was faster but it would be a drivers race, at least when comparing my two cars by the seat of my pants. But we should be comparing the 335i with the Camaro SS to be fair. The new SS will probably beat on a stock 335i in a straight line, but with a $500 SSTT the BMW may be back on top. (A mod that goes on and off in minutes.)

Probably they will handle and track about the same. But the SS may feel a bit more ponderous by weighing 300-400 pounds more and being a bit larger. You cannot fool mother nature. I am being purely speculative, but reasonable perhaps. Of course the SS will sound better!

IMO they are both total performance cars with the BMW being a little more conservative, efficient, and practical. And yes, maybe less exciting.

Last edited by Fraxum; 01-25-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Nice.
Right on! BMW would do right by buying the Generals LS3 for the 335. Makes good business and performance sense.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

My point exactly...close minded maybe??? How bout a compromise, an LS3 powered 335?
I like that idea too. Now would it beat an M3?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:22 AM
10 Second Club

Smile

Originally Posted by Fraxum
I like that idea too. Now would it beat an M3?
I believe that it would.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I have owned a '98 Z28 6M and now a 2007 335i 6M. The BMW is/was faster but it would be a drivers race, at least when comparing my two cars by the seat of my pants. But we should be comparing the 335i with the Camaro SS to be fair.

Why should we be comparing it to the SS??
Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Why should we be comparing it to the SS??
SS 5th gen, thats the thread. it got off track. The Camaro 6 won't keep up.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is what the BMW guys think of us.

I still think its funny. Sick but funny.

Thread here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198663

They finally do agree the SS will whup a 335.
So you are the guy from bimmerforums.com. Its dumb to ask a question like this on either website. Any forum will be ridiculously biased. Im a GM guy but i'd get a 335. Small and darty, plus rare. everyone will have a camaro. BUT i wouldnt buy either. For the money you can get a G8 GXP or even a used vette.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:38 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by evilZO6
Im a GM guy but i'd get a 335. Small and darty, plus rare.
Rare?
Not where I live, there are as many late model 3 series BMWs on the roads around here as Camrys or Accords LOL.
Not all are 335/twin turbo models but many certainly are.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they actually werent too bad.. a bunch of knowledgeable people backing up GM...

as for people down talking it.. i was on a 350z forum for a little bit (got banned in the end ) but the people on those forums always resort back to the same argument..

"yea well our interior is nicer"

i think thats about the dumbest thing ever, some dont.. i would MUCH rather have to sit in a interior of a 98 T/A ever single day than pretty much ANY bmw/lexus/etc... its just not my style..

also one thing that i really laugh at is the way they always say it gives you a different "status" driving a BMW... thats just outright hilarious.. if you have to drive a car to show people how much money you make, thats sad.. as for that, anyone can own one of those cars, doesnt always mean money, sometimes means a lot of debt..
and on a side note, most people (including myself) dont know the difference between an 05 or 07 or jb2 or jb3 whatever or a 3 series or 5 series.. most of those cars look like a 30k car at best with some badges on them that increase the MSRP because of "a name", just like the vette for us...

those people on those kind of car forums really give me a good laugh... mainly, like said, because of their "status" symbols (i really cant help but to laugh each time i see that).. and their, my interior is better.. when their car would be outhandled, is built worse, costs more, drug down the strip, doesnt look as good... yada yada yada..

all in all most of it is opinion based.. with some being facts.... one fact they had right.. GM usually drags just about anything down the track with minimal mods..
Old 01-30-2009, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Rare?
Not where I live, there are as many late model 3 series BMWs on the roads around here as Camrys or Accords LOL.
Not all are 335/twin turbo models but many certainly are.

AH! i feel so blonde i thought he said 1, ONE, 135i!! Lol. Oh a 335i or camaro? if it was a 335xi id take the BMW. If just a 335i, it would be tough and i dont really know. Id love to make a street racer out of a one series, but im not paying that much money for such a tiny car. In a few years ill buy one. But 335i vs camaro, well the BMW would be so much more practical and comfortable than a camaro. If i didnt have my WS6. id say camaro. But since im never getting rid of it, ill say BMW. They are sweet and with updraded intake, exhaust, and a victor tune, people over on bimmerforms are putting down over 400hp. I think one guy said 425 or rather. Still not camaro territory if you put the same things on the camaro, but still, 5 seats, truck space. Id take the BMW. PLus i love the red interior. Idrive sucks....
Old 01-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by evilZO6
So you are the guy from bimmerforums.com. Its dumb to ask a question like this on either website. Any forum will be ridiculously biased. Im a GM guy but i'd get a 335. Small and darty, plus rare. everyone will have a camaro. BUT i wouldnt buy either. For the money you can get a G8 GXP or even a used vette.
We think alike, a used C6 might be my choice over the SS. Now I am looking at CTS/Vs too, one of each? For the price of a loaded SS you could buy a LS6 CTS-V1 and a C5. But I will wait to drive an SS before I decide. I wish they were here now. However I still have to wait for my 335 lease to expire anyway. The boss says I am not allowed to have three cars. But the 335 is a great car, we should not judge a car by it's owners. It is really hard not to like the 335 if you drive one.

Quick Reply: Camaro SS vs. 335i