Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Camaro SS vs. 335i

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro SS vs. 335i

Here is what the BMW guys think of us.

I still think its funny. Sick but funny.

Thread here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198663

They finally do agree the SS will whup a 335.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

that pic was posted here months ago... thought it came from a mustang forum.

interesting to see bmw guys view anyway
Old 01-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 383ss
that pic was posted here months ago... thought it came from a mustang forum.
interesting to see bmw guys view anyway
My bad. They are very cruel. But some SS fans there.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I love how clueless BMW drivers are...
Just one more thing that draws me away from owing a 335i, most of the owners don't know **** about cars.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraxum
My bad. They are very cruel. But some SS fans there.
I read the entire thread, and they seem like any other enthusiast board I've come across. Of course they are going to show some bias toward their car, but some of them seem to respect the new Camaro.

I've read plenty of posts here, bashing the Viper, Ford GT, and even a Lambo for some of the dumbest reasons. You'll always have the "haters" on any board.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,144 Likes on 744 Posts

I think that thread is pretty mild, nobody is saying anything really retarded.

Car tastes are like tastes in women (or the opposite sex for the ladies)... Tall, blonde, blue eyes... etc.

I think the new Camaro will be cross shopped by folks who like the bang for the buck in terms of performance, like the styling updates, or like the retro cues, and who liked the show cars from the last two years, not to mention the folks who liked the car when it was in the Transformer movie. I don't think most Bimmer 3 series guys would cross shop the Camaro, but that's because I think the average 3 series owner is buying a sporty looking car but not a real sports car. I think someone also looking at a G37 would also look at the Camaro.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a friend w/ me in my 02 SS who just bought a 09 3 series BMW and all he did was call it GM junk.Then i showed him the GEN5 i am getting and he tells me to go to BMW website and look at the 6 series 2 door and the one as equally as fast and nice as the 5gen was and it was $104,000 for the car.I know the BMW'S are made a little better but they are not worth that.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Just one more thing that draws me away from owing a 335i, most of the owners don't know **** about cars.
It's simply that typical and classic, nose in the air, continental cuisine/fine wine and cheese sniffing, holier-than-thou, namedropping, snobby *** wannabe attitude and stereotyping that I've been hearing since the '80s LOL.

Crack ****** and scumbag drug dealers drive BMWs too ya know.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

hahaha I thought that picture is funny, BRING BACK THE MULLET

and it shows the functionality of the interior! Look how many cig packs I can cram in the center console! such convenience!
Old 01-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Banned

This has been out for a long time now...old news/pic
BMW's get spanked all day
Old 01-07-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

lol,,,i like Iron Maiden, Killers was a great album,, not my favorite, but its good...zags are pretty cool too, although i always got the orange pack.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 335i and I can tell you it is a very cool car. Try driving one, it is hard not to be impressed. And with just a tune to spool up the turbos and DRs you can get them to run low 12s, high 11s. But to go much faster you have to spend big bucks. Because of warranty issues and that the TT inline 6 is more than $15k they mostly chicken out to go faster than that.

Some of those BMW guys are engineers and they know thier stuff. But just like here there are jerks and good guys (and girls). There are a a fair number of elitist aholes but the forum regulars trash them and mostly keep tham in line. Not a bad site and a great car. I cross shopped the LS2 GTO and picked the 335i. I swap leased it so I did not have to put anything down. I think the SS is too heavy but I am leaning to the Camaro SS maybe. Anyone want my lease?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Launching!

I will never understand leasing a performance car. You can't modify it, and you are basically taking your money and setting it on fire. Also it seems like an apple to orange comparison. One is a luxury car, the other is a cheap *** kickin machine. This is why the performance advantage goes to the camaro, and it is cheaper. A vette would be a closer comparison at that price range, and it will kill a 335 in every performance category (runs 11's show room stock). But even then it is not a luxury car. Like someone said in that post the 09 cts-v is gm's performance luxury brand. Try finding a bmw to match up with that. You would have to go all the way to an m5 or m6 which is way more expensive and has less power. The cts-v went faster around the nurburgring than one of those two. Either way the comparison makes no sense and shows what the bmw guys have to resort to, so that they can feel like their money was well spent.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
They don't either, there were three of them at a car show last summer, the three idiots sat there reving to 8k just to hear it "scream". Mind you the car would sit for hours, they would start them up and hammer on it.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

something to think of too...you dont notice a m3 until you're right next to them. they just blend in to the background and look like everyone elses car. But when a nice fbody comes crusing in, everyone stares. they just stand out period.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Car tastes are like tastes in women (or the opposite sex for the ladies)... Tall, blonde, blue eyes... etc.
Yes, but unlike debating how fast my car is over yours, everyone knows blondes are the fastest .
Old 01-09-2009, 09:14 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,144 Likes on 744 Posts

Hehe my wife is tall and blonde.

I like the new 3 series cars but if it comes down to just one car I'll take the car that makes 400 hp (Camaro).
Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nwmembr19
I will never understand leasing a performance car. You can't modify it, and you are basically taking your money and setting it on fire. Also it seems like an apple to orange comparison. One is a luxury car, the other is a cheap *** kickin machine. This is why the performance advantage goes to the camaro, and it is cheaper. A vette would be a closer comparison at that price range, and it will kill a 335 in every performance category (runs 11's show room stock). But even then it is not a luxury car. Like someone said in that post the 09 cts-v is gm's performance luxury brand. Try finding a bmw to match up with that. You would have to go all the way to an m5 or m6 which is way more expensive and has less power. The cts-v went faster around the nurburgring than one of those two. Either way the comparison makes no sense and shows what the bmw guys have to resort to, so that they can feel like their money was well spent.
Lots of leased BMWs are heavily modded as many of these guys have cash to burn. Also Vettes do not have rear seats and are a little crude by comparison. BMWs are not all about the 1/4 mile. They are fairly fast (335s Ms anyway), handle really well, and drive very smoothly. They make the best daily driver I have ever owned. If you ever get a chance test drive a 6M 335 and you will see what I mean. I have the 4 door version and it is a real sleeper. It will run right with LS1 Corvettes stock to stock. Which is to say LS1 Fbodies as well. I would expect LS3 Camaros to be faster of course.

I have the winter tires on now. The runflats are a little harsher but really stick

Last edited by Fraxum; 01-09-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Oops and I forgot to add BMW dealers really write some agressive leases if you shop around. It is the cheapest way to put one in your driveway. Oh and free service including everything (even oil changes) except tires and brake pads. The car lets you know when it needs a service and you always get a free loaner. You are never treated this well at a chevy dealer. I still find myself drawn to the LS3 SS. But I am glad I had the experience of driving and owning this very interesting car.

Last edited by Fraxum; 01-10-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:02 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The Batman
something to think of too...you dont notice a m3 until you're right next to them. they just blend in to the background and look like everyone elses car. But when a nice fbody comes crusing in, everyone stares. they just stand out period.

Quick Reply: Camaro SS vs. 335i