Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

I drove a 2010 SS today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009 | 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the engine cover would be the first thing to go and the big gold bowtie...eeww.. swap it out for an SS
Old 02-21-2009 | 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joelster
Any feedback on the stereo system in the car? Was it a base model or anything? How did it sound? The reason why I ask is because it looks like there will virtually no way to replace it. It looks way wider than an aftermarket stereo, and it looks integrated into the dash.
Yea, gotta be the worst thing about it so far. Terrible looking setup.
Old 02-22-2009 | 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Theyre almost here! Im excited!
Old 02-22-2009 | 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
Theyre almost here! Im excited!
Damn, you're right. What, only 21 days left until production starts?
Old 02-23-2009 | 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hc8719
What's wrong with IRS? Can't the Zeta's IRS support like 800 HP? or something like that?

Originally Posted by texas94z
I disagree. The Zeta IRS was engineered for future drag racing abuse. It may resemble the old cts-v and gto IRS, but dont be fooled. Go drive a G8 and come back.
Three link is lighter, and less complicated to setup. I don't care about drag racing potential. I've never been convinced of the superiority of an IRS over a properly setup three link except for really bumpy courses.

I drove a G8GT - impressive for a stock car, but my Fourth Gen still felt faster.
Old 02-23-2009 | 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01badz28
Three link is lighter, and less complicated to setup. I don't care about drag racing potential. I've never been convinced of the superiority of an IRS over a properly setup three link except for really bumpy courses.

I drove a G8GT - impressive for a stock car, but my Fourth Gen still felt faster.
It depends on the chassis. Yeah in Mustangs and Fbodies a properly setup 3 link is superior to an IRS on a smooth course, well it's not like fbodies came with an IRS lol, but even in 03-04 Cobras a modded SRA outperforms the IRS due to the way the chassis is designed. The Zeta platform is designed around having an IRS though, just like the vette.

There is a lot of room for improvement with the Zeta platform. Obviously your fbody is going to feel faster with LCAs, race shocks, wider r compound tires, etc..
Old 02-23-2009 | 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BayareaCobra
It depends on the chassis. Yeah in Mustangs and Fbodies a properly setup 3 link is superior to an IRS on a smooth course, well it's not like fbodies came with an IRS lol, but even in 03-04 Cobras a modded SRA outperforms the IRS due to the way the chassis is designed. The Zeta platform is designed around having an IRS though, just like the vette.

There is a lot of room for improvement with the Zeta platform. Obviously your fbody is going to feel faster with LCAs, race shocks, wider r compound tires, etc..
Unfair comparison? Yes. However, I look at the 5th gen as a replacement for my current car - and there isn't enough there to convince me to switch.

Like I said, I've driven around in a Zeta and its nicer and more refined than a 4th gen. For my needs, I don't need refinement - and to be honest, 30K or so is a lot of money to shell out for a car that doesn't meet the performance of my current car.

I'm not hating on the car, I'm sure it will be great. Just sharing my thoughts on why I wouldn't want one.
Old 02-23-2009 | 10:03 AM
Launching!

I really like the way it looks but as mentioned the muffler sticking out of the bottom look ghetto. Also, the fake rear brake vent and plastic engine cover bug me. The worst thing is the "oh crap, we forgot to put in reverse lights! lets just stick them in riiight here"

and yet I still want one. Though I think for the money I would rather get a low-mileage C5 Z06. Even if the new Camaro had an LS7 in it, the C5 Z06 would handle way better and still be faster or just as fast since it weighs 700 lbs less - assuming the 2010 SS weighs 3800+ lbs. You can't deny that its a HUGE improvement in refinement though, compared to the 4th gen

Originally Posted by Sharpe
I'm going to start a club: Patman Haters #0001. You know he thinks he's better than us now. Arrogant bastard. Not that anything is wrong with it, but I hear he is a homosexual.

That's what I use.

I'm going to "test drive" a new SS right down to our county dump to have it weighed when they first come out.
lol

please let us know how much it weighs! I really like how this car is shaping up, my one gripe is the weight. A few newer cars just as an example, the 370Z and some Audi are lighter than the cars that came before them, but also more powerful.
Old 02-23-2009 | 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Wow it looks just like the G8 sitting in my garage under the hood. I think I will just wait and get a Vette.
Old 02-23-2009 | 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Unfair comparison? Yes. However, I look at the 5th gen as a replacement for my current car - and there isn't enough there to convince me to switch.

Like I said, I've driven around in a Zeta and its nicer and more refined than a 4th gen. For my needs, I don't need refinement - and to be honest, 30K or so is a lot of money to shell out for a car that doesn't meet the performance of my current car.

I'm not hating on the car, I'm sure it will be great. Just sharing my thoughts on why I wouldn't want one.
Somehow I doubt a new Camaro in stock form is going to be faster than a modded Camaro
Old 02-23-2009 | 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

I wasn't impressed with the looks of the 1st LS1 4th Gen I drove...was a 99 SS...I was impressed with the power...proof will be in driving the car...it would be nice if it weighted less. One test drive and I wanted an LS1 4th Gen.

I'll test drive one and see if it inspires me like the LS1 did.
Old 02-23-2009 | 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Feeling faster and being faster are two different things. Running 12s with just a tune and in a 4000lb car is VERY impressive.

The Zeta IRS is completely different in pretty much every aspect than previous IRS systems. The main part about it is the offsetting of the rear end. Every other IRS has had it dead center and it promotes wheel hop. Its actually really smart if you break down why they did it.
Old 02-23-2009 | 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I cant wait !!!
Old 02-23-2009 | 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Feeling faster and being faster are two different things. Running 12s with just a tune and in a 4000lb car is VERY impressive.

The Zeta IRS is completely different in pretty much every aspect than previous IRS systems. The main part about it is the offsetting of the rear end. Every other IRS has had it dead center and it promotes wheel hop. Its actually really smart if you break down why they did it.
Never said it wasn't impressive, I just don't really care about drag results. I prefer to keep things fairly simple (and effective) which the three link did perfectly. I'm sure its great for comfort and cruising, but not really what I am looking for.

I'm looking forward to seeing them out on the road, but there isn't anything on the table (except the LS3, which my car will soon have) that has me excited about this particular car.
Old 02-23-2009 | 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never said it wasn't impressive, I just don't really care about drag results. I prefer to keep things fairly simple (and effective) which the three link did perfectly. I'm sure its great for comfort and cruising, but not really what I am looking for.

I'm looking forward to seeing them out on the road, but there isn't anything on the table (except the LS3, which my car will soon have) that has me excited about this particular car.
I dont think that GM would of went to the ZETA if it wasnt needed to progress the car. If the new Camaro still had the same layout as the 4th gen it would be laughed out of the automotive world.
Old 02-23-2009 | 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So how is this car the 210th produced one if production hasn't started? Have they really made 210 pre production cars?

Thats sweet that you got to drive it though. I really like the car, I saw the ones at the Camaro Indy event in September and sat in the black and white test one. I liked how it sat and love the style of the interior, but I don't like the back seat. I mean I never sit back there, but it looks like you could chop somebody's legs off when you lean back haha. I can't wait till my step dad gets his one thats been on order since the first day you could order.
Old 02-23-2009 | 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

this car solves problems and creates problems....

solves: all the 4th gen issues with build/ride quality/comfort etc.
creates: the 4th gen is now the new 3rd gen and im not paying 40 Gs for that car so i guess i better grow my mullet out.....
Old 02-23-2009 | 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Who said it costs 40Gs
Old 02-24-2009 | 12:09 AM
Teching In

damn man thats awesome that you got to drive one!! cant wait to see them on the street with some real drivers in em an see what they pull in a quarter
Old 02-24-2009 | 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sadly I seen one yesterday in a parking lot while walking to my car it was yellow Im not a fan of the new body style Ill stick with my 4th gen

Quick Reply: I drove a 2010 SS today!