Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Can't decide; Challenger or Camaro?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, considering I saw a challenger SRT8 automatic running low 14's at the track all night long consistently last night I think a fricking LS3 camaro would be the smart choice. PLUS you get the much better looks and lower cost.....

no brainer.

If the only choices were 370Z or challenger....370Z lol....the challenger is just God awful looking and everyone I've seen can't run for ****.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

370z = ok but mods are expensive
Challenger = most expensive, nice, fast somewhat cheaply modified.
Camaro = nice if getting leather, faster, largest aftermarket

If you don't modify for power any of the cars are fine if you like em. But for the money the camaro is going to stomp both in the long run.

But I will say I got next to a challenger r/t the other day and I can almost swear I had to lean down to see the driver it's THAT much bigger than a 4th gen fbod at stock height. Hopefully the 5th gen camaro isn't quite as bad as the challenger but I think it is.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camaro. Hands down. Challenger is a huge let-down IMO, and sorry, but the 370 is ugly. Rather have a G37.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

In my opinion the only aspect in which the challenger is even on par with the camaro is in the looks department.

If you want a broader opinion post this on a mopar forum and see what you get. Compile the information and make your decision.

But for me it is pretty simple. ~40k vs ~35k. Fast vs Faster (probably). Average handling vs good handling. Very Heavy vs Heavy. Good looks vs Good looks. Dodge vs Chevy. In my mind the challenger was never even an option.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

From a dollar per horsepower standpoint, the Camaro is the obvious winner. If you like the looks of both, keep that in mind. The R/T is priced similarly to the SS, which should go round to round with the SRT8. Food for thought.

370Z? Eh......... nah..

I like the Dodge, but the mirrors remind me of Shrek's ears.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll admit I love the styling of the new Challengers. If I wanted a good looking boulevard cruiser to just drive around on the weekends, I wouldn't mind having an R/T (the SRT8 is so NOT worth the money considering how little added performance you're getting....IMO). But I wouldn't spend any money modding one, I'd leave it stock.

If performance is any kind of consideration, the Camaro shouldn't be on the list..........it should BE the list.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

None.

My next automobile related buy will be a classic...a true classic that is. Ive come to the conclusion the automotive industry is schizophrenic and delusional.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'd pick the challenger... simply because it looks better...
but it looks like the ss camaro will outperform the piggy... but not by much
Old 03-15-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting views...
Old 03-15-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

The camaro of course! Although if you did consider the Challenger you might as well get the R/T. Performance is not that much of a difference from a srt8 and a R/T. Also you will get way better gas mileage with a R/T not to mention all that extra money you will have left over getting a R/T for mods I do love the looks of the challenger but they are just to damn big.

My order would be Camaro, 370z, Challenger. Goodluck with your decision.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Performance is not that much of a difference from a srt8 and a R/T
Performance between them is worlds of difference apart.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Between those 2 Id say the camaro just for the LS3. Ive also been told that the Mopar motors are a bitch to mod and tune, but i dont know for sure.

Honestly I think they are both pigs, coming in around the 4000 mark. Id look at older Detroit Iron, with that much money you could build one hell of a big block car.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:32 PM
formerly turbo4.8 (2014-06-25)

MOPAR is NOCAR... cmon the camaro. is this even a question? yea you will wait forever to get one. but it will be well worth it!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WECIV
LS3 camaro will own an SRT8 Challenger in every manner. Don't **** your money away.

W
Obviously this forum is going to be biased and I'd recommend the Camaro as well but I'll try to do it a little more factual.

I dig the new Challengers. I think they are gorgeous from every angle. While performance isn't everything, I think the Camaro is really a better car. Independent rear suspension, better engine and better interior too. If you are set on a Challenger, I'd get the RT. The Dodge salesman I talked to even recommended it over the SRT. The RT offers 95% of the performance at a big discount. For that much you can do alot of mods and smoke any SRT.

FYI, Dodge does NOT offer a powertrain warranty on the SRT model...

There's going to be some sweet deals available on either cars by the summer so don't worry too much about prices. Probably some smokin deals on 1 yr old Challengers.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you need a back seat? Do you need seating for two, four or five?

I have the SRT8 300 and it's been a good car, ran 12.95 with a programmer/HF cats otherwise stock at 4500pds raceweight. The 370Z is supposed to be an all around beast especially if you like tracking/lapping/autox. It's quick in a straight line too. (Low 13s) The Camaro is TBD but I'm sure it'll be a high 12 second car with a tune as well.

All personal preference and budget really
Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole Train
i say LS3 SS as well. I used to think the Challengers were sweet until i saw the pig up close. My silverado sits the same height
rofl

I'm a self admitted Chevy and Camaro fan. After seeing both the Challenger and Camaro at a car show, I'm even more set on the Camaro. The Challenger was really big. I think it is funny - and sad in a way - how they painted the bottom inch or two of the car black to attempt to make it blend in with the road and appear thinner.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

2010 SS all day long. Factually, it'll nuke the Challenger in every category (with looks being a personal thing, and not included). Personally, I like the way the Camaro SS looks a lot better, especially with the ground effects package.

The 370z handles well, but IMHO it doesn't look as good as the Camaro, and probably doesn't accelerate as well.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Camaro, if you are looking for performance/mpg/and all around useability. You should be asking about a G37 in this group, not a 370, that should be compared to a Vette as it is a true sportster, missing the back seats and all. Besides for that kind of money you should be at least in the 12's, and the 370z isn't there.

Ultimately you should buy whichever is going to "turn you on" as they say in the Cadillac commercials. It sounds like you've already made up your mind on the Challenger, so get it. If you plan on keeping the thing for 20+ years you will most likely make a profit on it as it won't sell as well as the Camaro and the Mustang, simply because there are few people out there who know or understand why these cars even exist. Good luck on your purchase, and I hope you get what makes you happy.

Last edited by kain01; 03-15-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Challenger SRT8 runs better than 14's,I have seen them go 13.30's bone stock
The new Camaro is nice but once u add some options its an easy 36K

I think BOTH cars are too $$$$$
Looks wise the Camaro doesnt look as good to me and I am a GM guy..

I think I would be neither
Old 03-15-2009, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Camaro is the better deal and performer. Cheap and proven mods ready to go. 6 speeds auto or stick. Nothing can touch it for the price.

I also drove a Chally SRT8 around Thanksgiving. It was a stick and loaded: $45,000. The car doesn't really make a lot of sense, but it does have a great ride and street presence. Last fall I saw two Challengers run at Milan: one stock which ran low 13's @ around 109 and one with a Procharger from Livernois which ran about 12 flat at 120. In 15 to 30 years it could be worth big bucks, just like the originals which is something to think about.

I wouldn't take a ricer if you gave it to me. I feel like a back-stabber every time I get into one.

Quick Reply: Can't decide; Challenger or Camaro?!?!