Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Saw a 2010 Mustang on the road today

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
I can't wait until the 2011 model to see how the new Mustang will stack up to the Camaro. Went to a Ford dealership last week and saw a black w/ red interior GT sitting by a Roush. Loved it. I actually like the taillights better, though they seem to draw the most negative comments. Good looking car. When they put more power in it, it's going to be a contender for my dollar as light as it is. The only option I'd have on it would be the Track Pack.

I just have no interest in the 2010 because it's a new body with the same old motor, when we all know it's getting a new engine for the 2011 year. Why would a car company do that?! Just like GM did with the GTO. One year, then new powertrain. That's just a terrible thing to do to buyers, IMO. Kept me from even considering the 2010.
If they add a bigger 4 cam motor and 6 speed tranny's, you can bet the weight will increase on the mustangs-probably push it easily over 3600lbs. So my guess is some of that weight advantage will disappear if/when they do step up the drivetrain. Should be interesting either way. I think they were in a rush to refresh the car to stay relevant with the new camaro and challenger coming out, but I agree that it should have come with the updated drivetrain or waited another year.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rayhawk
I think they were in a rush to refresh the car to stay relevant with the new camaro and challenger coming out, but I agree that it should have come with the updated drivetrain or waited another year.
LOL ford had at least 4 or 5 years warning on the camaro i dont think they were surprised by anything

and as far as the drivetrain theyre in the business to sell cars
Old 04-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

I hate regular mustangs but the GT500 is really a nice looking and crazy good looking car. I do wish we had a Z28 coming out to compete dirctly.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rayhawk
If they add a bigger 4 cam motor and 6 speed tranny's, you can bet the weight will increase on the mustangs-probably push it easily over 3600lbs. So my guess is some of that weight advantage will disappear if/when they do step up the drivetrain. Should be interesting either way. I think they were in a rush to refresh the car to stay relevant with the new camaro and challenger coming out, but I agree that it should have come with the updated drivetrain or waited another year.
Apparantly the new drivetrains weren't quite ready for 2010, but Ford wanted to give the Mustang something new to avoid losing all prospective interests in the market to the new Camaro. And yes, the Mustang will get a bit heavier with the new drivetrain, but what I've read about the new motor seems to indicate that it won't push the weight up drastically. I could see a 4V 5.0 Mustang weighing in the 3600-3650 lb range...which still isn't too bad considering the mass of its competitors. I also would expect the GT's pricetag to go up by 2-3K if it gets a new 4V also. But in the end, such a GT would give the new SS a hell of a run for its money at the track....which is what the new GT should be able to do by now. But as 88blackgt said.........Ford is more worried about sales volumes than bragging rights right now.

Quick Reply: Saw a 2010 Mustang on the road today