Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

So, I bought one of them thar Camero's

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I've owned 550 rwhp all-motor cars. They drive like ****. I'd prefer to keep near-stock drivability on this car. Boost is the only way to go if you want drivable power.
Its also nice to have all that torque down low. I love root blowers. Cant wait to see an update. BTW planetLSX is pretty cool
Old 06-15-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Congratulations on the recent 13.0's. 12's are around the corner for you and your stock Camaro.

I'd rather do turbos above that, just MY personal preference. I like my grunt and throttle snap instant.
I agree.I love everything about TT's, especially adjustable boost based on gear/speed. If cost, complexity, and reliability were not factors, I think everyone would go twin turbos. I like EFFICIENT and EXPANDABLE positive displacement blowers for the instant power from the design and the belt drive combined with their simplicity.

Well, if Techco wants to send a kit for me to test on the Camaro, I won't turn it down.
I always knew the only reason you put a Magnacharger on your car was because they gave it to you for free for promotional reasons, regardless of whether you post it online or not.

I won't ever buy another centrifugal blower again, they just don't have the throttle response I like. I hate throwing belts at higher HP.
The Techco is a positive displacement, twin screw blower that is driven directly off the crank with it's own, separate 8 rib drive pulley.
Check it out before you make a decision.
If not, I understand that you are taking the free blower from Magna to push their product.

I'd rather do turbos above that, just MY personal preference.
I like my grunt and throttle snap instant. [/QUOTE]
I agree.I love everything about TT's, especially adjustable boost based on gear/speed. If cost, complexity, and reliability were not factors, I think everyone would go twin turbos. I like EFFICIENT and EXPANDABLE positive displacement blowers for the instant power from the design and the belt drive combined with their simplicity.

You always have that philosophy that we should always buy the kit that has the highest potential.
That's not true, man. I take EVERYTHING into consideration.

Last edited by 427C5; 06-15-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 427C5
I always knew the only reason you put a Magnacharger on your car was because they gave it to you for free for promotional reasons, regardless of whether you post it online or not.
My bank account says otherwise. I haven't paid MSRP for car parts in over 10 years, I get discounts on all sorts of products from my various connections. You can assume all you want, but I still spent a few grand. It is a brand I've tested and owned, and trust. That has some value to me. Not sure why you keep on with this subject, it is obvious that neither of us will change our stance on it. I suppose in another 2 or so years, I'll have the newest model Magnacharger on the newest GM toy, and I'll expect you to come along with the exact same responses you did for the last decade. Same song, broken record. I'll be out enjoying my cars, despite your opinions
Old 06-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony here ya go!

Stroke it to 402-408 ci.
Get your heads done by SAM
Cam - 238/242 .700/.700 114lsa
Your blower...
All the other bolt ons... That just about does it!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is some major nutswinging going on for a blower system that has existed for all of two months. It has never been proven, it has not made more power than a Maggie, it has not proven to be reliable. It is from a company that is unknown. I don't even know where this 1000hp claim is coming from since the system has been out for 2 months and no one has them. this guy is associated with their company, it's the only reason someone would be touting this system so strongly when it is 100% unproven.

I support the Maggie. . .oh, and the guy who founded this forum and has owned and modded near to a dozen LSx cars and knows whats tried and true as well as what his goals are.

I am dumbfounded by the arguments towards why the other system should be used when it's BRAND new, costs more, and is unproven.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

My bank account says otherwise. I haven't paid MSRP for car parts in over 10 years, I get discounts on all sorts of products from my various connections. You can assume all you want, but I still spent a few grand. It is a brand I've tested and owned, and trust. That has some value to me. Not sure why you keep on with this subject, it is obvious that neither of us will change our stance on it. I suppose in another 2 or so years, I'll have the newest model Magnacharger on the newest GM toy, and I'll expect you to come along with the exact same responses you did for the last decade. Same song, broken record. I'll be out enjoying my cars, despite your opinions
I've got no beef with you other than your personal promotion the piece of **** MP112.
Other than that, I respect you, your LSx ventures, and your cars.
I thought we buried the hatchet, and continue to believe that we have.

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
There is some major nutswinging going on for a blower system that has existed for all of two months. It has never been proven, it has not made more power than a Maggie, it has not proven to be reliable. It is from a company that is unknown. I don't even know where this 1000hp claim is coming from since the system has been out for 2 months and no one has them. this guy is associated with their company, it's the only reason someone would be touting this system so strongly when it is 100% unproven.

I support the Maggie. . .oh, and the guy who founded this forum and has owned and modded near to a dozen LSx cars and knows whats tried and true as well as what his goals are.

I am dumbfounded by the arguments towards why the other system should be used when it's BRAND new, costs more, and is unproven.
Do some homework on Techco and me before spouting off at the mouth.

The team has a ton of OEM projects under their belt (Saleen, Ford GT).
What other aftermarket team has OEM vehicle experience?

After you learn that Techco is legit, then go look at their blowers design and manufacturing. Then, you can post with an educated opinion instead of spewing ****.

As far as my "nutswinging" and being a Techco employee, you couldn't be more wrong.
I am not in the auto biz and don't want to be. But, I've built a few cars and know a few things. My resume would get me in trouble around here.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:50 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Both of my "POS MP112" units put down over 500 rwhp at low boost, on stock cube LS engines. The '69 Camaro went mid-10s with a pro-touring suspension with one. The C6 trapped 130 mph on stock runflat tires with one. Is 500+ rwhp (550 on the C6), mid-10s, and 130 mph trap speeds with stock drivability supposed to be awful?

Guess what, I never wanted 1,000 hp on those two previous cars either. I also had a blast with them. As you might have noticed, I tend to build a project, have some fun with it, and then sell it. I'm not the eternal modding type, who sticks with a car for a decade and keeps changing it around. I have particular goals for each car, and build it. That '69 made the cover of Popular Hotrodding and was also featured in the magazine, as well as in Chevy High Performance. I guess the POS little blower didn't hurt the popularity of the project.

I don't have any problems with you, I've come to accept that you hate Magnacharger. Hey, that is why we all have choices. I'll leave you with a photo of the crappy MP112 in action, en-route to another 10-second pass. 3,600 lbs raceweight with a T56:

...and I drove it nearly 4,000 miles in one week on Power Tour. 25 mpg to boot!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 427C5
I've got no beef with you other than your personal promotion the piece of **** MP112.
Other than that, I respect you, your LSx ventures, and your cars.
I thought we buried the hatchet, and continue to believe that we have.

Do some homework on Techco and me before spouting off at the mouth.

The team has a ton of OEM projects under their belt (Saleen, Ford GT).
What other aftermarket team has OEM vehicle experience?

After you learn that Techco is legit, then go look at their blowers design and manufacturing. Then, you can post with an educated opinion instead of spewing ****.

As far as my "nutswinging" and being a Techco employee, you couldn't be more wrong.
I am not in the auto biz and don't want to be. But, I've built a few cars and know a few things. My resume would get me in trouble around here.
Getting personal with your attacks because I don't subscribe to your useless banter over someone else's personal preferences? YOU came into this thread assaulting what someone else likes even though it's proven and you're getting hurt over the fact that people won't swoon over your unfounded and unproven claims. FYI buddy, I didn't say anything negative about Techco or their past. I said this system is unproven, plain and simple. You can't argue that because it is brand new.

P.S. Techco as a company has no experience with the things you mentioned. The company is touting the experience of other companies that a few of their employees used to work for. I have researched Techco, maybe you should

Everything that the new and awesome Techco has "proven", the old 112 did the same several years ago, only they did it in mass numbers while Techco still has less systems out on these cars than ***** I take a week.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm.....sounds interesting
Old 06-15-2009, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice ride and am jealous!!!

personally i would own a V6 Black camaro...pull the engine, forge it and then do a nasty turbo build..thats just me tho...
Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

The C6 trapped 130 mph on stock runflat tires with one. Is 500+ rwhp (550 on the C6), mid-10s, and 130 mph trap speeds with stock drivability supposed to be awful?
Tony-
I said I don't have a problem with you and I really don't want to get into another pissing match with you.
With that said, you know that you did a cam to that C6 when you did the Magna and you STILL couldn't match what others FI systems were making on STOCK LONGBLOCKS.

I don't want to fight with you.
I just want you to check out the Techco, analyze it, consider it for the LSx Camaro, and then tell us what you think.
Is that fair ??????

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
I have researched Techco, maybe you should
Everything that the new and awesome Techco has "proven", the old 112 did the same several years ago, only they did it in mass numbers while Techco still has less systems out on these cars than ***** I take a week.
I don't know you and I don't want to get into a pissing match with you.

I've done my research. I'm impressed with Techco. The company and their blowers. I'm confident they're blower will be the blower of choice for the Zeta platform for those that have the the knowledge and money to buy the best.
If I'm proven wrong, I'll be happy to admit it.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Teching In

I've owned 550 rwhp all-motor cars. They drive like ****. I'd prefer to keep near-stock drivability on this car. Boost is the only way to go if you want drivable power.
Cool.....and that sounds like an invite to come drive it once you get it built. I'll swing on by then, borrow it for a few years or so.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

427C5- I honestly don't see why you seem to try so hard to belittle NineBall in his personal decision to use a Magnacharger on HIS car and use it as a cover story for HIS magazine site and get feedback/props for doing such an awesome project. I mean he never said the Techco sucks or anything of the sort, just that he chose Magnacharger over all others because he has a goal for the car and knows from past experience with the kit and it will get him there. I mean at every turn you take his "opinion" and and spin it around and make it sound like he has a vedetta against the Techno kit and is putting MC on the highest pedestle possible. I dunno but in "my" opinion you should have just dropped it along time ago, your beating your head against the wall for no reason.

NineBall- I've always enjoyed seeing your project cars and I think I speak for most here when I say your past cars/builds are what we can only dream about . I honestly expect nothing less with the '10 Camaro and really hope you put the naysayers of how much of a pig, slow, and ugly it is with track numbers and appearance mods to show what the Camaro can really do when set-up correctly. I look forward to reading up as it progresses to further my desision on getting one or a C6. thanks for putting in the effort
Old 06-16-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think i found 427C5's resume.....

Old 06-16-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

beef that bitch
Old 06-16-2009, 02:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Awww, he isn't that bad. 427C5 has been around for several years, he always has that matter-of-fact demeanor about himself. I've grown used to it, no biggie. Bet he gets a chuckle out of that resume too. Lets play nice folks!

Old 06-16-2009, 02:28 PM
blownerator

Wow, just wow.......
Old 06-16-2009, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

everyone **** Nine Ball off so we can get more **** like that 69!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still havent seen a 10' with the factory ground effects. Figured yours might have it but I was wrong. Still great looking and pretty quick car bone stock. I also would like to see one on a road course, lets put them brembo's to use.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Post Suspension, and Clutch???

What suspension updates are in the works for the car?
Poly bushings, air bags (similar to the GTO's or G8's), Stiffer springs, and shocks???

Hook up seems to be one of the biggest issues with the new Camaro.
I would like to see you get the 60ft down under the 2 second mark then get it into the 1.7 range. If you can make that happen then you can kill the 11.53 or what ever is the current record

Other things I'ld like to see would be a ZR1 clutch upgrade, before going to the aftermarket setups.
Questions like: Will the GM twin disk fit under the stock bell housing?
Will it cost less then some of the other twin disk setups?
These will be things other Gen 5 owners will like to know in the future (as most of them do not own the car as of yet).

Oh and how heavy are the stock rims? GM's been using some heavy cast aluminum units on there other rwd v8's I'm guessing the 20x9.5's that come on SS1/SS2 or RS Camaro's are probably around 30lbs per back rim (am I close).

Are any of the aftermarket companies looking at replacing the control arms with lighter Chromoly steel units. If the suspension was swapped out how much weight would the car shed (listing front, rear, and both). The idea is to reduce the unsprung weight at each corner... blah blah blah.

Just some thought...

Quick Reply: So, I bought one of them thar Camero's