Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

LOL @ my dealership

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOL @ my dealership

Im from Zanesville Ohio, we only have 1 GM dealership in the area. Im not in the market to buy a '10 but I seen they finally had a V8 so I stopped today to check it out. The car was a silver SS with the body kit, 4 pack, stripes (thats all I really noticed). A salesman was standing outside, he said hello and I asked what the sticker price was. He said "40 plus 10". WHAT!? Im assuming he was talking about 40,000 for the car and a 10,000 dealer markup? That is R E T A R D E D. What are they trying to do, sell Vettes?
Old 09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thats when you get the salesmans name and slam the **** out of them and the stealership on the internet for being morons. Dont these dumdums know the more cars they sell the more allotments they get next year?
Old 09-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
Im from Zanesville Ohio, we only have 1 GM dealership in the area. Im not in the market to buy a '10 but I seen they finally had a V8 so I stopped today to check it out. The car was a silver SS with the body kit, 4 pack, stripes (thats all I really noticed). A salesman was standing outside, he said hello and I asked what the sticker price was. He said "40 plus 10". WHAT!? Im assuming he was talking about 40,000 for the car and a 10,000 dealer markup? That is R E T A R D E D. What are they trying to do, sell Vettes?
there is an old saying in sales

"if you dont ask for it, you will never get it"

someone will pay 10 grand over retail, believe it or not there are alot of people with alot of money and some of these people feel that if they want something it doesnt matter how much it cost

do you blame someone for trying to make some money???

you said this is the only GM dealer in the area, and they have only one SS, its supply and demand. go to marketing school or a highend sales job and you will understand

and if worst comes to worst, then they dont sell it for 10 grand over they will sell it for 5 or 2 grand over maybe even msrp

look, there are tons of people that would be more than happy to pay msrp to get an SS 4 months from now, and if they could have it now they might pay 10 grand extra to get it

i understand if you dont understand, but if a doctor or lawyer in this area wanted a silver SS they will pay 10k over for it
Old 09-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ss1129
Thats when you get the salesmans name and slam the **** out of them and the stealership on the internet for being morons. Dont these dumdums know the more cars they sell the more allotments they get next year?
here's the thing, the cheaper you sell the car the less money the dealership makes, and they have alot of bills to pay and alot of people that work there they all have alot of bills to pay and family to feed

yeah lets not make hardly anything on something thats in real high demand and nobody in this area has one..... thats stupid business

yeah lets sell everything for cost so we can get more allowed next year..... thats stupid business as well

why do you think so many dealers went out of business??? cuz of the economy right???

NO, cuz of this exact business tactic, if you sell everything for cost or barely over then there is no money put back into the business, all the profit goes to the banks for interest on all the inventory that you increase year after year cuz you are trying to out do what you did last year to get more allowance

this is stupid business, dealerships outgrow themselves and have too many bills to pay and too much owed on their doubled inventory and interest that is charging every month, and when the buyers slow down, well you still have the same amount of bills but without the income

and then we have thousands of dealerships go out of business because of this business tactic

no money put back into the business, sell everything cheap, and have too much interest owed on too much inventory
Old 09-05-2009, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

MSRP isnt cost.

Dealers cost on a 2ss is like 30.5k. MSRP is 33.4k.

So you can sell one at 10k over and make 13k or sell many of them and make ???

Not to mention that 1 you sell at 10k over may sit on your lot for months. So instead of having a possible customer you have probably dozens of people thinking your stealership is full of douchebags when the dealer down the block sells for msrp.

Sure you can have it sit on your lot like a jag for 4 months or you could flip them out the door and get new ones faster....along with good word of mouth. Dealers are lying saying they are only building so many cars then they wont have any more, to try and sell at a higher price.

But hey, what do I know. My whole family has only been in the car business since before I was born.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

he said hello and I asked what the sticker price was. He said "40 plus 10".
Consider it sold. I'll give them the 50 bucks for it.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ruthless Robbie
you said this is the only GM dealer in the area, and they have only one SS, its supply and demand. go to marketing school or a highend sales job and you will understand

and if worst comes to worst, then they dont sell it for 10 grand over they will sell it for 5 or 2 grand over maybe even msrp
Do you actually believe that bullshit? it is NOT supply and demand, its greed. i can guarantee you that if dealer A has 10 cars that they sell @ MSRP of 33.4K and a cost of 30.5K, thats 2.9K/car sold. They sell all ten in one month and thats 29K in one month.

dealer B has the same 10 cars, right down to the build options, IDENTICAL CARS.
They want MSRP (33.4K) PLUS 10K (43.4K) thats gives them 12.9K for ONE car. IF they sold all 10 then kudos for finding 10 dumbasses to pay that and making that 129K in that month. BUT that will never happen.

dealer A is obviously going to sell all the cars they have and dealer B is going to sell maybe 2 or three.

B may make more money in that one month, but GM is looking for SALES.
And when the 2011 camaro comes, A will get a much higher number of them than B, It's funny how people dont realize that if they would just WAIT to buy, the dealers would realize that WE have the power, not them. but there are the people that want reguardless and they throw money at the ****** to get what they want, driving prices up and making the car unattainable for more and more people every day.

i understand if you dont understand, but if a doctor or lawyer in this area wanted a silver SS they will pay 10k over for it

I would be willing to bet that they would call another dealer selling at MSRP and have it SHIPPED directly to them at home. hell that would be less than 10K to do that and it would give them the feeling that they are actually more important than everyone else.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

The first dealer I went to said 5K over sticker ( I've bought 4 cars here). Shopped around and found one who is selling me one for sticker. What really sucks is that GM was bailed out with our tax money which makes us part owners.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

I see alot of points fom everyone. But I just wanted to point out that a local dealership here said that in Indiana each dealership is lonly promised 11 for ALL of 2009! Which is dumb IMO, but if true I see why the dealership would ask 10K over sticker. And if it's not true then thats just INSANE to ask for $10k more than msrp. My .02
And like I said, a salesman I was talking to said this a few months back and he KNEW that I was just there to check it out and NOT to make a purchase. So I hope he was not lying, but who knows???

Anybody know if this is true or not?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dunno...my buddy is MCMC, he owns Mike Carlson Motor Company.... He says its just business, and the reality is that ppl pay these prices on new "Hot" cars. Hes good friends with the owner of Bruce Lowerie Chevrolet and says they usually run this way for a good 12 months...then you'll see MSRP prices. Although Bruce Lowerie sells at MSRP, he understands the others decision.

Good news is..when im ready to buy......(Never buy brand new model Year ) I can get a great deal.....around 30k for a 2SS/RS///whoo hoooo. Ill wait to see, no rush.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sales people don't set the prices on cars, go smack the new car sales manager. If you think salespeople are douches go check out the managers...**** rolls downhill dude.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The days of "market adjustments" are over. It just takes a while for that message to trickle down into the smaller, more isolated dealerships. There are dealers all over the place selling for MSRP...and some will even honor available discount programs. Thanks to the internet, smart buyers know they exist. You can call it supply and demand if you'd like, but "market adjustments" are greed...pure and simple.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

It's a highly desirable new car that just came out so a lot of dealers are gonna rip people off. In 1 yr you'll be able to buy one without markup most anywhere.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

there is an old saying in sales

Before you get cocky you may want to know I have a bachelors in business, starting on my masters Tuesday, but thanks for the info!
Old 09-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Banned

Before you get cocky you may want to know I have a bachelors in business, starting on my masters Tuesday, but thanks for the info!
i have my masters in finance, and for 2008 i was the council of excellence award winner and ranked 6th in the united states for finance management with american honda finance corp.

all the people saying its not supply and demand are stupid, there isnt much choice out there and most people have to order the car equipped the way they want

in addition to you saying its the ONLY GM DEALERSHIP around the area and THE ONLY SS available..... if thats not supply and demand then what is???

there might be someone around that wants one and dosent care how much it cost..... and if you dont ask for it then you wont get it

here is something stupid for ya, the toyota dealership next door to us had their prius marked up $15,000 over msrp. and guess what..... they sold all three

do you realize how much fuel you could buy with $15,000 dollars??? we sold civics to prius buyers cuz they could save all the mark up money for fuel cost

but in the end the toyota dealership was only going to get 3 for the whole year, and alot of people were wanting that car..... so they all sold for 15k over, the right buyer dosent care how much, there are people that have more money then they know what to do with and it dosent bother them to spend money, but to the average joe's its highway robbery

whats funny is you would think that prius buyers would be a person wanting to save money, save on fuel cost, and you would think these buyers would be ultra conservative and wouldnt spend $15,000 over msrp to save less than that on fuel cost..... it would cancel itself out wouldnt it??? at 4 bucks a gallon thats 3,750 gallons of gas and at 40mpg thats 150,000 miles of driving that $15,000 of fuel would provide

but like i said some people just dont care, even conservative people.....
Old 09-06-2009, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

i have my masters in finance, and for 2008 i was the council of excellence award winner and ranked 6th in the united states for finance management with american honda finance corp.

all the people saying its not supply and demand are stupid, there isnt much choice out there and most people have to order the car equipped the way they want

in addition to you saying its the ONLY GM DEALERSHIP around the area and THE ONLY SS available..... if thats not supply and demand then what is???

there might be someone around that wants one and dosent care how much it cost..... and if you dont ask for it then you wont get it

here is something stupid for ya, the toyota dealership next door to us had their prius marked up $15,000 over msrp. and guess what..... they sold all three

do you realize how much fuel you could buy with $15,000 dollars??? we sold civics to prius buyers cuz they could save all the mark up money for fuel cost

but in the end the toyota dealership was only going to get 3 for the whole year, and alot of people were wanting that car..... so they all sold for 15k over, the right buyer dosent care how much, there are people that have more money then they know what to do with and it dosent bother them to spend money, but to the average joe's its highway robbery

whats funny is you would think that prius buyers would be a person wanting to save money, save on fuel cost, and you would think these buyers would be ultra conservative and wouldnt spend $15,000 over msrp to save less than that on fuel cost..... it would cancel itself out wouldnt it??? at 4 bucks a gallon thats 3,750 gallons of gas and at 40mpg thats 150,000 miles of driving that $15,000 of fuel would provide

but like i said some people just dont care, even conservative people.....
I have a bigger *****.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 09-07-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ss1129
I have a bigger *****.
Yea me too. Plus Im not angry, I hope graduate school dont do that to me. Its your story tho bud.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Launching!

only $50k!? theres a white SS in my area for $60,000
Old 09-07-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98NBM1
only $50k!? theres a white SS in my area for $60,000
Is that American or Canadian dollars?
$60k???????????

we're talking Z06 for that kind of money.

Quick Reply: LOL @ my dealership