Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

5th Gen Camaro picture - and feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks great, but the only things I would change are the side mirrors, make the tail lights one piece, get rid of the vent or whatever it is on the side(it looks too much like the side of the 60's Mustang), and the wheels should be no bigger than 18". Overall, the car is awesome although I'm not a fan of the retro style this concept isn't overdone. And, the projected release date is right on schedule for me, I'll be out of school for a year and in the market for a new car and so far this looks like it. Oh yeah, T-tops please.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Teching In

As long as it doesn't have half the engine buried underneath the windshield then it's all good with me. And give us a HIGH quality interior for once!
Old 12-08-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 383ss

IRS or a solid axle, I don't care. I'm not going to turn it into a drag car I'd like to have something that handles great and has 500hp this time around.

I've already got a drag car

True DAT i need a DD now....
Old 12-08-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with what some have said, the rearend looks too high. And the tail lights need to keep w/ camaro/firebird look and take up more of the rearend (not look like a vette)

I'd prefer no IRS, but thats right in line w/ everybody elses thoughts really.

I hope the interior doesnt look too retro. I love the interior of the new Cadillac and Vettes.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Teching In

I like it build it GM like that I can go eat some Stangs for dinner. I will definetly have one in my garage. Hopefully by 07-08.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:21 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

I have a few constructive comments about the exterier, and will post my suggestions later but here are the areas I'd like a bit different.

*** end and greenhouse. Now, I know these are probably the two WORST areas to design in a car because of crash safety.

Also, I haven't found the interior renderings, can someone post up?

Back to training class, I'll post my suggestions @ break.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Launching!

I want one in Impluse Blue Metallic w/ blue leather.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

I'll take hugger orange myself
Tony hit the nail on the head overall.
Interior wise i hope it is as nice as the gtos. Just the inside feel of the car, not cheap plastics like we are all used to. My biggest complaint is that there is no Arrow on it anywhere
Old 12-08-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JCurtin
I'll take hugger orange myself
Tony hit the nail on the head overall.
Interior wise i hope it is as nice as the gtos. Just the inside feel of the car, not cheap plastics like we are all used to. My biggest complaint is that there is no Arrow on it anywhere
I agree that I'd like to see an interior thats at least up to par with the GTOs if not superior to it.

And I agree, Tony hit it on the head. I'd like to see some more subtle cues back to the 1st or 2nd gen tho too. I think doing a rectangular housing for the taillights w/ red/orange/white LEDs would work just fine. But overall, I think they still have some area's to work on (like the mirrors, rear end, front end etc) but so far she's lookin really good!
Old 12-08-2005, 01:48 PM
9 Second Club

I'd have to say I agree with most... the mirrors and lights need some work, but overall I'm a fan of the basic shape.. I'm the perfect demographic for this car.. 23 years old, I have money to burn... but not enough to buy a new vette... only reason I bought a used Z06 was there were no mid level performance cars that appealed to me... Now there are a bunch coming out... GT500, Challenger, Camaro...etc. I'll tell you what I wouldn't want first... Don't give me 4 different stereo options... give me a decent cd player/radio and call it a day.. standard on all models. Don't give me color matched guages, seats, shift ***...etc all I need is the option of leather and cloth in two different colors...black and tan... Keep it simple.. I don't need anything fancy inside, no "brushed aluminum look" trim pieces, I'm buying a mid-level performance car... I'm not trying to impress anyone. What I'm getting at is just keep the options simple and group them together if you have to to keep the cost down. Now what I do want... two transmisions, an a4 and the T56.. no neep for paddle shifters or 6 gears in the auto unless it's the same price as the A4 would be... I like IRS it's great and it has it's application, but NOT on this car, leave the IRS to the GTO and Vette... Please give me the 12 bolt, even as a $1500 option... I would take it!.... maybe even with 3.73 or 3.42's, that alone would go a long way toward making my decision... and I think that would be cheaper than IRS but I'm not sure...? For motor options, I only need two... A decent V6... and the LS2.. some have talked about forged internals... but I'm just assuming that will never happen.. so I won't even think about it.... I'm not one of these guys looking for GM to make a $20-25K stripper Z-28 because I really don't think that will happen... but I'll pay $33-36k if they build a car that has alot of the elements I talked about... I'm not expecting all of the above will be true.. but there's alot of different companies building something with the intention on stealing my dollar away from GM... so just PLEASE make it good!
Old 12-08-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

yea i finally got the rearend pics to work, not to happy with the taillight styling. The taillights are to small and too high up, should make them solid (one piece) with an open space between them. Kinda like the challengers taillights but with more of larger lighting area (bigger)
Old 12-08-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not a bad start, I would also think that by '09
something more "futuristic" would be in order with
just a few "heritage" details. And I would only buy
a convertible (and only if by '09 my '02 has met up
with an oak tree, and I have found the $50K+ laying
around, that it's liable to cost by then).
Old 12-08-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I really like the shape the car is taking. Why couldn't GM make the new Impala and Tahoe look this good?

This Camaro looks stylish. It's great that the design incorporates a lot of sharp lines to give the old shape a modern twist. Please do not soften them for production. The face also has a sneering, aggressive shape not unlike the new Dodge Charger that's a definite improvement on the original Camaro as well. I would like to see the styling used on the passenger side of the model produced.

Kudos for going with IRS as well. It will not only please mainstream critics but will also make the car vastly more enjoyable to drive in day-to-day life and on twisty roads. Those who are dead serious about drag racing will swap in their own axles without making 99% of the rest of your customers suffer. Ensure the Camaro doesn't suffer the same wheel-hop that plagues the CTS-V. No engineering shortcuts like a hump in the passenger side floor either please.

The interior sketches that are floating around look fantastic too. Please do not water the style of it at all for production. Retain as much details as possible to keep the car feeling like something special. Gauges, *****, vents, the shape of the seats, even the color schemes and stitching used should all look and feel good. The interior should be high quality, well made, and stylish for a change.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

I really like where this concept is going. It isn't fully retro (though with well appointed cues imo). I think if a few minor things are changed, I'll definitely have one in time. I'll have the T/A paid off by then and another spot in the garage for this one.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not a fan of retro styling (but I do like the new GT500) or the IRS. Personally I would rather see a more modern design.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Hopefully I wont get banned or sent up the river but I messed with the concept pics and with photoshop I did what I would like to see.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aroConcept.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nceptrear2.jpg
Old 12-08-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it looks damn good.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cook_dw
Hopefully I wont get banned or sent up the river but I messed with the concept pics and with photoshop I did what I would like to see.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aroConcept.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nceptrear2.jpg
That looks real good to me. See if you can take that dip out of the rear decklid between the taillights. (i.e. straight across with no dip. Think 67 Camaro from that same angle)

If GM will sit back and watch, we'll give them a design
Old 12-08-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Nice to see the different updates to the PIC.

One thing I would like to add regarding the vent in front of the rear tire.

Make the vent functional to help cool the rear brakes and set up a vent for the front for the same for all drivers (especially road racers).
Old 12-08-2005, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Here are couple others that I did with the other front end and added slashes to the taillights.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...roConcept2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nceptrear3.jpg

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Camaro picture - and feedback