Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Just saw the new camaro (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Thumbs up Just saw the new camaro (pics)

I just saw the concept camaro at a special presentation with the fbodfather.

I have to say it definitely looks better in person than in pictures. I still don't care for the 21 inch wheels and a few other things, but I think with a few minor improvements this could be a great car.

It seems likely right now that it will have the LS2 or a similar variant. I asked one of the presenters if there was a chance we would see an LS7 model and she said it was doubtful.

Pictures here
Old 04-29-2006, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome pics
Old 04-29-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Are the rear vents functional? They need to function!
Old 04-29-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

that was the same chick i saw there...she said the truck opened but it wasnt powered up at the show...i wonder if the glass will open or just the lid??infinite, how was the trip up to the javits?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

javits? This was in atlanta.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
Are the rear vents functional? They need to function!
Yes, according to all the designers and Lutz, and they are an integral part of the design according to them, so they should be on the production model.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

simply awesome
Old 04-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Banned

I think those rims make that car what it is that thing would look awful with some 17s on it .. they designed the car to have big wheels im sure they wont be that big when the car comes out but 18s,19s, or 20s would be fine to me remember this is a concept people ... the odds are allot of that car will change
Old 04-29-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i hate it too but there is no feasable way that a camaro will get the LS7. a hand built 13,000 dollar motor...that would make the car ungodly expensive. but id just like to see it built.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheAntiRice
I think those rims make that car what it is that thing would look awful with some 17s on it .. they designed the car to have big wheels im sure they wont be that big when the car comes out but 18s,19s, or 20s would be fine to me remember this is a concept people ... the odds are allot of that car will change
According to the designers and Lutz, in every interview I've seen, most of the exterior design is pretty much as it would be for production. Much of the interior could change, and obviously drivetrain options and trim level cosmetic changes are likely, but if (when) it is produced, I'd expect very much the same car.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

That engine bay is a masterpiece!
Old 04-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Launching!

engine bay will change. No doubt about it.

body panels will look the same, but with more lines. By this I mean think about it: if you damage the front fender, it will take too much body shop work to fix it or replace it. So you will see a line running from the bottom of the fender to the rocker panel. Lots of little things like that.

Also, the reverse lights will be seen, whereas the model has them hidden above the exhaust pipes! Kinda cool, but not DOT friendly.

In my pics (link below), I tried to take pics of what people could NOT see in other pics. The logo CAMARO on the side is side-colored in orange--nice touch. Looks all chrome, until you really look at it. Will that make it? i hope so, but that means more $$$.

Interior will change a LOT, especially the headliner. Anyone notice it is rays of light running across the entire headliner? No small cabin lights, these are serious. I know these are meant for others to see the interior better, but nonetheless, it will change.

What I like besides the cleanliness of the engine bay is the CF liner on the under side of the hood. It says CAMARO on it, real classy. Gone.

Then think about this: as the car sits right now, how much is it worth? For it to be a CAMARO, it will need to be priced in the 35K range fully loaded. By 2009, maybe 40K with inflation, etc. That means by 2009 base will be $20K, not the $16K we were used to in 2002 (V6 bone dry). It will lose a lot to get to those prices.

And for the pics.........check these out! 122 pics!
Old 04-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Damn, that Camaro is outstanding. I just can't wait until it comes out. Great pictures by the way, you really did good at getting some details that I for one hadn't seen before. I like the new exhaust and hope the production model keeps the dual setup.

WTF was up with the mustang rage though? Was that really on the ford display? Every car ford you took pictures of there was ugly as sin, but that mustang rage thing needs to be taken out back and shot for the good of humanity. I'm sure the ricers love it though.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by herronz28
And for the pics.........
Nice.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I really liked how the fuel filler door is horizontal on the fender, it really keeps the lines of the car clean.
I think it will be a great comeback car.
James
Old 04-30-2006, 02:56 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Infinitebird is now safe from being banned by Bad Dudu ! ( private joke)
Old 04-30-2006, 08:02 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by herronz28
engine bay will change. No doubt about it.

body panels will look the same, but with more lines. By this I mean think about it: if you damage the front fender, it will take too much body shop work to fix it or replace it. So you will see a line running from the bottom of the fender to the rocker panel. Lots of little things like that.

Also, the reverse lights will be seen, whereas the model has them hidden above the exhaust pipes! Kinda cool, but not DOT friendly.

In my pics (link below), I tried to take pics of what people could NOT see in other pics. The logo CAMARO on the side is side-colored in orange--nice touch. Looks all chrome, until you really look at it. Will that make it? i hope so, but that means more $$$.

Interior will change a LOT, especially the headliner. Anyone notice it is rays of light running across the entire headliner? No small cabin lights, these are serious. I know these are meant for others to see the interior better, but nonetheless, it will change.

What I like besides the cleanliness of the engine bay is the CF liner on the under side of the hood. It says CAMARO on it, real classy. Gone.

Then think about this: as the car sits right now, how much is it worth? For it to be a CAMARO, it will need to be priced in the 35K range fully loaded. By 2009, maybe 40K with inflation, etc. That means by 2009 base will be $20K, not the $16K we were used to in 2002 (V6 bone dry). It will lose a lot to get to those prices.

And for the pics.........check these out! 122 pics!
Even with inflation into 2008 or 09, if this car is priced out to 40k, then GM will be doing the same **** has been doing to itself lately. I know, even in 2008 dollars, I'm not going to pay more than about 32~33 for a fully loaded out muscle car. Remember, the older crowd might be able to afford that or want to spend some discresionary income on that, but the 20 somethings with insurance, house/apt. payments, and other bills, while trying to get thier retirement funds started aren't going to be willing to put down that kind of coin. Don't tell me that's why the v-6 will be priced accordingly either, that won't cut it. With the exception of the Mustang Cobra, Ford's top dollar Mustang GT doesn't touch 35 (does it even touch 32 the last time I looked it didn't) and I seriously doubt you'll want to be much over Ford, maybe a 1000 bucks, if you expect to outsell the GTs. Cobras on the other hand, if you go after them with an LS7, "maybe" you have the chance to see top dollar, slightly over or under that, but from the stance GM has taken as of late, the Cobra is the Vette's teritory.

As for the 18, 19, 20" wheels. Please, give me a set of 16x10s any day of the week! Granted, that won't do on this car, so please, NO BIGGER than 18s. In all honesty, I'd never buy a wheel/tire bigger than 17". Why, sidewall. You're giving up performance for the look, and that's not something I'm willing to do. Give me a wheel and tire big enough from the factory to fit @ least 4 pot brakes, and you have a winner.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by msgZ28
Great pictures by the way, you really did good at getting some details that I for one hadn't seen before. I like the new exhaust and hope the production model keeps the dual setup.
Thanks. That was my whole goal!

Originally Posted by msgZ28
WTF was up with the mustang rage though? Was that really on the ford display?
It was a company here in Dallas, that's what they do to the Rustang, make it worse. The guy said that the stage 2 Rage made 600 RWHP and was something like $60,000. I asked him why, and he said it was improvements. Then I asked him how all the body cladding helped with the performance and he said this: "downforce."

Thats why I love and hate Ford guys, they put a smile on my face and a bad taste in my mouth!
Old 04-30-2006, 10:27 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

They are nice pics...forgot to mentions that earlier.

Has anyone seen an updated schedule for appearances yet?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Infinitebird is now safe from being banned by Bad Dudu ! ( private joke)

i swear zeeman was actually the one who started that.