Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: What should we call its majesty?
Z/28
25.15%
SS
74.85%
Voters: 660. You may not vote on this poll

Top of the line Camaro...what should we call it???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=ASUSMC]From a Mustang owners standpoint the Z28 has been on many many body styles and engine combos.QUOTE]

The "Z" was used on other cars like Z24, Z26, Z34, and Z71 trucks. Now its only used on the Z06 and should be used on the top camaro Z28. SS's are kick *** but when they are novas, chevelles and impalas of yesteryear.
How stupid would the SS look on a vette? So the top vette and top camaro should start with a Z. Went on a little rant there, all done.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Teching In

There should be four way to order a Camaro. The RS with its own trim, a big V6 or LS4, and IRS. The Z with the LS2, its own trim, and IRS. The SS with +25hp or 50 LS2 with its own trim, and with either IRS or a solid rear. Finally, a real throw back, the ZL2 car with its own trim(none), the LS7(427, or near enough), solid rear and manual only. In trim I mean like the CTS and the CTS-V, the grill is different. Small differences but something than can be noticed by those who know.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

something other than "camaro"

sorry, but it's just not QUITE the same as saying "stang"....just doesn't have that same "ring" to it....
Old 07-17-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well since everyone thinks the SS is being played out, how about we have a base model V6 & V8, RS V6 & RS V8 (appearance package and maybe a beefed up suspension, V8 would get more engine options), the legendary Z28, and the bad *** of them all the Z28 Iroc Edition (Your all around cobra/challenger killer). I was thinking, since mustangs have Roush and Saleen, what type of enhanced aftermarket camaro would we have? A new Berger Z28 or Berger SS?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

z28 due to the first gen z28's.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MachoCamacho
z28 due to the first gen z28's.
Absolutely.

Wasn't the SS more of a "foo-foo" car with the extra stuff like hidden front lights and stripes and stereo and such?

Granted, I do recall that the 1st gen SS's also had more engine options than the Z/28, am I wrong?

:hmm:
How's about a Z/28 with the SS option???
Old 07-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Absolutely.

Wasn't the SS more of a "foo-foo" car with the extra stuff like hidden front lights and stripes and stereo and such?

Granted, I do recall that the 1st gen SS's also had more engine options than the Z/28, am I wrong?

:hmm:
How's about a Z/28 with the SS option???

Hidden front lights were on there if you got the RS option and the new SSs are Z28s with the SS package, it says it right on the sticker

Last edited by RedZoutlaw; 07-19-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Instead of bringing the camaro back they should just make a new chevelle to go along with the gto. It just seems stupid to have a camaro without firebird and a gto without chevelle.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Seems like all of the people that just discovered Fbodies in the last 10 years feel that the SS should be the top dog. The real car enthusiasts of back in the day seem to see it as Z28 used to be the king dingaling of Camaro's. So, does GM go back to heritage, or do they just do what has become the norm? I guess time will tell... I'm still rooting for the Z28 to be king dingaling again, though.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
Where is the GM backing to this, not meant rudly I'm just saying I've yet to see anything proving we will get 2 trims more or less etc.
There is no sign GM will do this, Im just saying this is how I would like to see it. Its almost exactly the way GM did things in the 60's. How do you think the Yenko, COPO, and ZL1 cars came to be, they were specially ordered by the customer. Your right GM could come out with a SS Camaro and thats it, but it would suck, it would be like every V6 Mustang out there a COOKIE CUTTER design with no real factory options. Just my 2 cents of course.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Teching In

I find it funny to hear "the old F body enthusists" talking all about going back to the original heritage when it comes to the name but so many were against the idea of any sort of retro looking car. My point is I really don't give a sh@& what they call it as long as they make it. I like the sound of an SS, which in my, be it limited experience, has been the one to get. I can bet which ever way they decide to go with the name it's gonna be fast, as well as probably a little prettier. Bring it on. iN THE Words of Ricky Bobby, "Lets go FAST!"
Old 08-01-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ram09
Your right GM could come out with a SS Camaro and thats it, but it would suck,
Even the guys at GM can't be THAT dumb! They are going to need a base model V6 and a V8, at the VERY least. As far as I can remember, they have always had at least two versions to offer, since the creation of the world.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow! Same ****… different thread.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DinoZ
Even the guys at GM can't be THAT dumb! They are going to need a base model V6 and a V8, at the VERY least. As far as I can remember, they have always had at least two versions to offer, since the creation of the world.
*cough* GTO *cough* SSR *Cough*
Old 05-21-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
*cough* GTO *cough* SSR *Cough*
True, but we're talking about the Camaro here. There has always been at least 2 versions.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

I liked the LSx 302 concept they made back in like 01 0r 02... the Z28 was originally a high output destroked motor. Maybe they should push the Z back to what it originally was... and release a larger cid SS or even an IROC. I gotta admit, I'm down on that SS logo too after seeing it on a 210hp Monte and then, even worse, a 4 banger Cobalt. What the hell is Chevy thinking? I guess they wanna try to take some of Honda's money. But let's get serious... Chevy's specialty is giving us the equipment to prove that "there is no replacement for displacement", am I right?

I'd definitely like to see a very low, tight suspensioned, 302 Z28... but I don't see it happening. Chevy's too consumed with selling to people that aren't on this forum and don't give a crap about heritage, or anything else except sound and looks.

We'll probably see the same thing as we did in 98-02... a base V-6... an LS2 Z28... and an LS2 +25 hp calling itself an SS.

I kinda like meacham's idea.... "Z29R"
Old 05-29-2007, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Less than .01% of potential buyers understand what the original Z28 was all about. Many know that the "SS" name on a Chevy means "go fast".

Chevy isn't selling to people that post on Camaro message boards all day -- they're already sold. Chevy has to find a way to reach out to the masses to sell this car. If they don't it won't live long and we won't have the many versions and packages we would all like to see.

As for heritage, the first "SS" WAS a Corvette specially designed and driven by Zora Arkus Duntov.

The eventual name for the so-called "top dog" Camaro will be a business decision. The driver of that decision will be, "How can Chevy maximize profits including interest earned on maximized cash-flow?" If Chevy thinks the Z/28 name will get them where they want to be sooner, then that will be the name. Otherwise, they will call it SS. Pretty simple...
Old 05-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DinoZ
Seems like all of the people that just discovered Fbodies in the last 10 years feel that the SS should be the top dog. The real car enthusiasts of back in the day seem to see it as Z28 used to be the king dingaling of Camaro's. So, does GM go back to heritage, or do they just do what has become the norm? I guess time will tell... I'm still rooting for the Z28 to be king dingaling again, though.
Hi, I discovered Fbodies in 1977 (and still own it). I seem to remember that 396 SS was King in 1967, 68, and 69 (Z28 didn't pace Indy then). ZL1 was unknown to but a few until they started to go for ungodly prices. 69 SS 396 is rarer than a Z28. I think the most potent package with hood length stripes on a cowl hood and nimble suspension should be Z28's. (Remember, Z28 was originally built to meet the 5.0 class rules, I never understood 5.7 Z28's, except for the marketing ploy of the badge recognition). Big cubes and a tach should be SS's, hide aways and a gauge cluster on any model=RS (SS and Z28 badging taking preference on combining either option with RS) and all aluminum cubes ZL1's.
I think SS should be top dog and I'm an enthusiast from "back in the day"
I would like to see SS 427 be top street package, ZL1 some type of COPO equivelent (Since so many people are so sofisticated about things like this nowadays).

That's my $.02.

Last edited by 68 RS/SS Ragtop; 05-29-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Heck, I just wish you would quit calling the Camaro a "camaro"!!
BINGO! For the love of God stop calling my beloved CAMARO a camaro. That sounds so effing juvenile!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bearcat Steve
As for heritage, the first "SS" WAS a Corvette specially designed and driven by Zora Arkus Duntov.
Correct, insofar as Chevrolets are concerned. Although Duntov didn't drive the car he did help design it (at least mechanically). http://www.classicrallies.com/view_experience/10

Actually the term "SS" was used by Mercedes Benz back in the 30's http://www.motoringpicturelibrary.co...546&fleID=5923

Memorabilia: http://cgi.ebay.com/1930s-Mercedes-B...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Z-Convert; 05-29-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Top of the line Camaro...what should we call it???