Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: What should we call its majesty?
Z/28
25.15%
SS
74.85%
Voters: 660. You may not vote on this poll

Top of the line Camaro...what should we call it???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that I don't think the z28 name shouldn't be used (I do) but GM doesn't use the "Z" names like it used to. Back in the 90's, even the Cavaliers had a "Z" mark (z24 I believe), and now the z71's to my knowledge is the only "Z" mark used by Chevy, and thats an offroad package.

Now Chevy uses "LS" "LT" "LTZ" and "SS", which I don't care for... and would quiver everytime I say a Camaro that said "LS" or "LT" on the trunk
Old 10-29-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

SS for sure! "Camaro SS" - don't even say it sounds 'ricer-ish'!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

If this question was asked 35 years ago, the majority would answer Z28, because the Z was the king dingaling back in the day. But because all of the "modern day Camaro" people have known the top model to be the SS, you're going to get a majority who says SS should hold the top spot on the new F car.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

I have to vote SS for the top dawg when it comes to power. What I would like to see is a throwback to the old; a Z28 with a canyon racer suspension with 400 horses and an SS with a drag inspired suspension sporting 450-500 hp. Of course, the RPO option should be there for those that would like to have them tailor made.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am a younger person so i have always thought of the ss as more powerfull athough i know it wasnt like tht bak in the day. I think the top model should be a z/28 though because ss doesnt mean much to me anymore not since the trailblazer ss and cobalt ss which in my mind are both types of vehicles the name was never meant to be on. dont get me wrong ive driven a friends cobalt ss and it is very quick but a 2 liter inline 4 being called an ss? dosent sound right to me. ss now means to me any chevy vehicle that is a little more powerful than the baseline, so leave z/28 for the top spot as i think it means more these days IMO
Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by binks0678
I am a younger person so i have always thought of the ss as more powerfull athough i know it wasnt like tht bak in the day. I think the top model should be a z/28 though because ss doesnt mean much to me anymore not since the trailblazer ss and cobalt ss which in my mind are both types of vehicles the name was never meant to be on. dont get me wrong ive driven a friends cobalt ss and it is very quick but a 2 liter inline 4 being called an ss? dosent sound right to me. ss now means to me any chevy vehicle that is a little more powerful than the baseline, so leave z/28 for the top spot as i think it means more these days IMO
I see what you're saying, but you're a little off. The Cobalt SS has ~200 hp whereas the base has like 140. The base Trailblazer had a ~280hp straight six, whereas the SS had the 360hp 6.0L from the Silverado SS. The SS vehicles also get nicer interior equipment, better suspension, and some better looking body panels IMO.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The new Cobalt SS will have the Solstice/Sky 2.0 L turbo. Should be launched mid 2008 or so
Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya i see what ya mean my friends cobalt ss is VERY nice all i mean was ss just seems like it was meant for cars with large displacement engines and ya i didnt know the trailblazer ss was THAT powerful
Old 11-06-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by binks0678
ya i see what ya mean my friends cobalt ss is VERY nice all i mean was ss just seems like it was meant for cars with large displacement engines and ya i didnt know the trailblazer ss was THAT powerful
A common misconception about the SS vehicles. Did know that you could get an Impala SS wagon I6 back in the 60's? crazy right?

As far as the TBSS goes, yeah it's around 360, maybe more. The cool part, though, is that it has GOBS of torque to boot. They sound wicked btw.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe in GM's overuse of the SS name. I mean, a Cobalt SS? Malibu SS? "SS" should be reserved for the likes of Chevelle, Impala, Monte Carlo, and of course Camaro. When I think of SS, I think "baddest of the badasses." I love the Z/28s too, but I think the top-of-the-line Camaro should remain the SS.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Teching In

I owned an 02 SS and of course im gonna have to vote SS. "SS" is the powerhouse name for chevy. All SS vehicles are the premier package for that model. I dont feel the SS has lost any meaning by puting it on other models. SS originated on a Corvette in the 50s, http://www.corvetteblog.com/archives...t-sebring.html
Ford was retiring "SVT" because it wasnt a household name. Chevrolet overcame this issue by making top models "SS". SS is and will be the name of the best chevy has to offer. Z/28 holds a special place for alot of people, and i agree that it is equally important, but "Z" has been used on other vehicles also. Its the "28" that makes your "Z" so special. The new top-of-the-line Corvette is 99% sure to be dubbed the "Corvette SS" and i think its fitting. Im waiting for the 5th gen SS to come out, if its not sporting at least 450-500 hp and less than 3600lbs im getting a vette. The horsepower wars are on, and chevy has alot more than Fords sorry attempt at a "sports car" to think about. Noone wants an american muscle car thats getting its *** handed to it by imports. Well i take that back considering how many mustangs there are.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Teching In

I think It should be an SS, Chevy seems to load the hell out of alot of those cars. I know, they did make 4th gen stripper SS cars, but what I've seen they are kinda few and far between. I have a 99 Z 6M stripper, I have seen much more Z's then SS's. I Hope the Z28 is an all out performance model (choice of engine, trans, gear, and no options) P.S. I love the new Camaro, but dont alot of u think it is just a better looking GTO. LS2, IRS I loved it at first, but if it comes with IRS and an LS2 I wont be gettin one. Not too impressed with a GTO, Not gonna lie they are alot more refined, but who needs comfort.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No more average "SS" models

FWIW, Chevy has supposedly decided to use the SS name only on the top or "extra" special performing vehicles within a model range., e.g., no Malibu or Equinox SS's, when it's mainly just a "spoiler and bigger engine" model. Now it's going to be "Sport" for those type of models.

So I've got to believe it's going to be Z28 for the "average" performance model, SS for the TOTL performance model.

As far as the HHR SS, Cobalt SS and the Trailblazer SS's, I think they are still worthy of the name because they are significantly more powerful than the stock models.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Teching In

should go back to old school, z/28
Old 11-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigwoode

Z/28. SS is just for Looks
Old 11-25-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

chevy has been all about the SS in the past years they through an SS emblem on anything rather it has power or not.. i would rather GM change the new camaro to something besides an SS because mommom across the street has a SS colbat with a 4 banger and she says to you hey i have an SS.... i think they should change it but highly doubt they will
Old 11-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

lets call it the Camaro ASSKICKER
Old 11-25-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by corvetteandsilverado
chevy has been all about the SS in the past years they through an SS emblem on anything rather it has power or not.. i would rather GM change the new camaro to something besides an SS because mommom across the street has a SS colbat with a 4 banger and she says to you hey i have an SS.... i think they should change it but highly doubt they will
They just fixed that, btw. The new Cobalt SS can kick the Porsche Cayman's *** around the Nurburgring. If that doesn't qualify it as a proper SS, then the very well-appointed interior surely does. That car is one of the very best you can buy in its class, what SS has always meant, not just being a rwd muscle/pony car.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigwoode

agree, because thats the way it was and we liked it!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

I'd have to go with "SS"!!

Quick Reply: Top of the line Camaro...what should we call it???