Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Paddle Shifters for our old friend?
NO!!! Why would we ever have paddle shifters. All we need are powerglides, solid axles, and no A/C.
34.97%
GM's current paddle system should be in the new Maro, my Gay Uncle Maurice also believes this
11.30%
What is better than a Maro with an A4? A Maro with an A6/Ferrari-esque paddle shifter system.
53.73%
Voters: 469. You may not vote on this poll

Paddle Shifters in the new Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by musclegto
paddles are gay
My words exactly. If I had to buy an automatic and it had the paddle shifters on it; guess what I'd have taken off the car and ran over as I left in the car.

Why don't we stick running boards on the car too while we are at it.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

A6 with paddles and everything else they can throw at it at a Camaro price. If it's gonna jack the price outside of the average consumers grasp then make it an option. The only car I've driven with this setup is a friend's turbo'd Audi and I LOVED it! This is the only automatic setup that I would buy over a manual for a street car. Go drive one of these and imagine it has LSX power. You might just like it.

Last edited by SStingray; 10-21-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SStingray
A6 with paddles and everything else they can throw at it at a Camaro price. If it's gonna jack the price outside of the average consumers grasp then make it an option. The only car I've driven with this setup is a friend's turbo'd Audi and I LOVED it! This is the only automatic setup that I would buy over a manual for a street car. Go drive one of these and imagine it has LSX power. You might just like it.
+1. If GM does them correctly they'll be pretty badass.

Think manual shift mode in Forza Motorsport and that's pretty much what good paddle shifters are like. You control up and downs, but the computer does all the clutching and **** for you, and then when you don't even want to bother with them, set it to D and forgettaboutit.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Williams
Just give me a Hurst dual gate shifter,and when I put it in the secondary or performance gate default the engine control modual to power mode = Max timing - faster auto shifting - more aggressive throttle response. Paddles are for the Vett, keep tha Camaro simple and inexspensive and they will come !
GM like all large auto builders will use as many parts that they already have in their inventory..the A6 that is in the Corvette will probably be the auto trans in the 5th Gen Camaro..real sequential tramsmissions are big time expensive and you do not see them in this generation Corvette let alone the next generation Camaro..there will be a 6 speed manual transmission for the hard core guys and the A6 most likely with the paddle shift sport mode will be the new Camaros automatic transmission..it is no real sequential tranny but it is not bad and will not add a high price to the car since it is already on GMs parts shelf..3 and 4 speed automatic transmissions are dead ... they are very old tech and not applicable to current goals of todays auto manufacturers....keep in mind that the A6 has been around now for a few years in the Corvette and all the R&D has been done so it is very reliable and offer the auto trans guys some performance driving feel to their cars..this is not the 60s it is the 21st century and the 5th Gen Camaro is going to be a 21st century muscle car that leans more toward an affordable sports car than a 60s muscle car ..

PS I forgot that the 2008 Malibu LTZ (6 cylinder) has the six speed automatic trans with the paddle shift..beleive me if the Malibu has it the automatic transmission 5th gen Camaro will have it.

Last edited by slt200mph; 12-13-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to see a paddle system. If you think its going to jack up the price, then don't order one.

Some people like the "Drop the clutch" feel, and thats cool, but don't knock of paddle shifters
Old 12-12-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hc8719
I'd like to see a paddle system. If you think its going to jack up the price, then don't order one.

Some people like the "Drop the clutch" feel, and thats cool, but don't knock of paddle shifters
It should not raise the price..the car is going to have a 6 speed automatic for performance as well as fuel economy ... all A6 Corvettes have the paddle shift mode...there is a gear selector on the consol of the car..you can put it in D for drive and forget about it or you can put it in the S sport position and the transmission will adopt a more agressive shifting program and you can forget about it..or you can use the paddle shift paddles on the steering wheel to manually shift up or down when you are in the sport mode..you have three choices on how you want to drive the car..it is nothing but electronic switching..the parts are in GM current inventory..

Last edited by slt200mph; 03-10-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

I picked up a BMW M3 with the SMG trans a few months ago. It has the paddle system.

Words cannot describe how badassed it is. I can bang gears, HARD! I love this car to death, Hands down 10000% better than my camaro ever was. Not to mention the superior handling. Instead of slowing down for a curve, I now speed up.

Its WAYYY different than anything GM has. The SMG is a full manual trans sans the clutch pedal. The SMG does not use a converter like many would think.

In fact, there is only one Part number for the M3 transmission and clutch. the same trans/clutch system is used in the 6 speed manual and the SMG.

Cliff notes, the corvette paddle shift is still an automatic, the BMW SMG is a Manual paddle shift.

Last edited by Corey R.; 12-12-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

EWW.. No to the paddle shifters.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TurboZ28
I don't care, just please stop calling it a camaro. Makes me think of leukemia.
First of all, this is sig worthy! LOL.

Anyway, on topic...

A paddle shift system would be really cool, especially if it matches revs on the downshifts and shifts very quickly. It will not be a F1 gearbox for the same reason there won't be an LS7 (too expensive!). It is marketing at it's finest and will sway some buyers. Anybody could put paddles on a car but the bottom line is that it has to work right! Chevy has too much riding on the Camaro to drop in a half assed A6.

Unrelated but: Factory 12-bolt FTW!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

It will have the same A6 that is in the Corvette..it will have a paddle shift mode....even the new Malibu has a A6 with the paddle shift..so you can rest assured the the 5th gen car will too...it is not a sequintial transmission like what is found in high dollar euro iron...it just a A6 with a novel way to shift it..not my cup of tea ... but it is better than the old A4..
Old 03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

stop calling it a dumdumdumdum!!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

camaro?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slt200mph
It will have the same A6 that is in the Corvette..it will have a paddle shift mode....even the new Malibu has a A6 with the paddle shift..so you can rest assured the the 5th gen car will too...it is not a sequintial transmission like what is found in high dollar euro iron...it just a A6 with a novel way to shift it..not my cup of tea ... but it is better than the old A4..
By top dollar, you mean Volkswagon golfs right? lol j/k

I think an A6 with paddle shifters would be pretty cool as long as it really did what I told it to, WHEN I told it to. aka, when I want a double downshift for engine braking into a turn, it better not **** up and only do one, or worse yet, bog and gear hunt. If it acts like a true manual shifting-automatic, and would actually hold up to the kind of abuse I plan to put it through, I would consider one, simply because, at the end of the day when you just want to go home, it's nice to just drop it into automatic and not have to bother with a clutch pedal.

I still hope they make a DSG....those are phenomenal, and pretty much exactly what I've wanted for a long time...just no cars in my price range with them...
Old 06-02-2008, 02:11 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Wow, I can't believe how much resistance and criticism there is towards the awesome 6L80 transmission with paddle shifters.

Now I'm just curious, is this vast opposition based on a preference for a Camaro with the old style 4L60E/4L65E with the standard shifter or simply about preferring a true 6 speed manual trans instead? (Obviously a true sequential/F1/SMG type system is out of the question.)

I have this trans/system in my Corvette and it's amazing, not quite a true manual of course but it's a very strong performing set up.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Wow, I can't believe how much resistance and criticism there is towards the awesome 6L80 transmission with paddle shifters.

Now I'm just curious, is this vast opposition based on a preference for a Camaro with the old style 4L60E/4L65E with the standard shifter or simply about preferring a true 6 speed manual trans instead? (Obviously a true sequential/F1/SMG type system is out of the question.)

I have this trans/system in my Corvette and it's amazing, not quite a true manual of course but it's a very strong performing set up.
I assume it's the latter. I doubt many of these guys have even driven a 6L80 vehicle, much less driven one hard. I think a lot of it is the blind, "oh automatics are the suxors!lollerskates!" response that many folks around here seem to have deeply embedded in their skulls.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Teching In

It is a muscle car. Manual short throw trannies only!
Old 06-02-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice to have the option for both auto or manual 6 speed, and it sounds like we will. Paddle shifters would be a nice option for those that choose auto. Option means we don't have to buy it.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

For an A6 it is not bad..when you are using the paddle shift when you downshift it will match the engine RPMs to the chosen gear...it works well in the Corvette and it will be a nice feature for the 5th gen car.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you guys hate paddle shifters, then buy the manual, or if you still want auto, ignore the paddles. That so hard?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
I assume it's the latter. I doubt many of these guys have even driven a 6L80 vehicle, much less driven one hard. I think a lot of it is the blind, "oh automatics are the suxors!lollerskates!" response that many folks around here seem to have deeply embedded in their skulls.
I agree, that's likely it.

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
If you guys hate paddle shifters, then buy the manual, or if you still want auto, ignore the paddles. That so hard?
Exactly.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters in the new Camaro?