Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Which car will be faster stock vs stock?
The 2009 Camaro will be faster than the 2009 GTO.
79.42%
The 2009 GTO will be faster than the 2009 Camaro.
20.58%
Voters: 1006. You may not vote on this poll

2009 Camaro VS 2009 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the gto, if it comes out would probably be the slower car, but id highly doubt that they would put a V6 in it...it never has and it never will! if they bring it back (IMO) it'll be more upscale coupe like the current. i like to think of the current GTO's as a BMW fighter with more power, camaro's have always been more about going fast that worrying about what the guy in his BMW's is doing. but for this poll camaro FTW
Old 11-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Teching In

It will be too close, probally be a weight difference
Old 11-25-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98TA_vert
Well I was down at the local Pontiac buick gmc dealership today (brother was buying a new truck) and I was talking to the 12th year sales manager, 07 is the last model year for the gto this was stated in hotrod an issue or so ago also in a sidebar, and the (coming from the sales manager) firebird/trans am is supposed to be introduced the model year after the camaro comes back in 08/09 if everything goes accordingly
I talked to a pontiac GM this week who told me also that the bird was comming back.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Teching In

DOubt it...........but hope so
Old 12-03-2006, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

There will be no GTO in 2009 unfortunately. GM never intended to keep the GTO around. It is a limited production car. The sales are horrible as well for the GTO, there just simply isn't enough being sold. This is the last year for the GTO (2007). I'd ****** one up before it's too late. I got this info from my friend father who works fairly high up for General Motors. He knows about all upcoming models and their specs. I could ask him a few more questions regarding this issue if anybody would like me to do so.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Yes, see about the firebird. I keep hearing rumors around the internet that the firebird will be out in 2010 or end of 2009 as a 2011 so I doesn't take any initial sales away from the camaro.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't hold your breath waiting on the Firebird\Tram Am coming back...the market for 2 door automobiles is not large enough to support it and the other 2 doors that GM builds..sorry but it is not happening...
Old 12-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Launching!

The market is moving back to cars and away from SUV's. If pontiac goes to RWD for all of their cars don't be so fast to rule out a firebird return.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, turns out this thread was pre-emptive, as is even the title of this whole forum.

There won't be a 2009 GTO.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

top model camaro vs top model gto.....camaro all the way.... ZL1
Old 12-06-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by QuickT/A
The market is moving back to cars and away from SUV's. If pontiac goes to RWD for all of their cars don't be so fast to rule out a firebird return.

If you had attended the annual Camaro\Firebird Reunion in Bowling Green this year you would have heard Scott Settlemier .. The F Bod father .. (a GM exec.) discuss this topic in great length..the bottom line is goodby to the firebird\trans am..the 2 door car market will not support both the Camaro and the Firebird plus the other GM 2 doors...you are mistaken GM is not moving away from the SUV market...they just did a redesign on all of the their SUVs and the Silverado and added technology to the truck\SUV engines for better fuel economy..AFM (active fuel managment) which is a form of displacement on demand..you will see that technology on the 5th Gen car as well as the Corvette ... all the 4th gen blocks are already set up for it..

Last edited by slt200mph; 12-06-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Probably the Camaro due to less weight.

Ultimately whichever one I own will be faster
Old 12-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slt200mph
If you had attended the annual Camaro\Firebird Reunion in Bowling Green this year you would have heard Scott Settlemier .. The F Bod father .. (a GM exec.) discuss this topic in great length..the bottom line is goodby to the firebird\trans am..the 2 door car market will not support both the Camaro and the Firebird plus the other GM 2 doors...you are mistaken GM is not moving away from the SUV market...they just did a redesign on all of the their SUVs and the Silverado and added technology to the truck\SUV engines for better fuel economy..AFM (active fuel managment) which is a form of displacement on demand..you will see that technology on the 5th Gen car as well as the Corvette ... all the 4th gen blocks are already set up for it..
I didn't say GM was moving away from SUV's. I said that the market is starting to shift away from them. Look at the 300c and charger, and also the mustang sales compared to tahoe, expedition sales. People are starting to get back into cars and away from trucks. I heard what Scott said on a the Z28.com webcast and at that time it looked like the GTO was still headed from production. You can't be seroious if you think GM will bring pontiac back to RWD and not let them have a 2 door performance car. Just like the camaro enthusiests Firebird fans are letting GM know how they feel and GM can't just ignore that. I don't think that they thought people would react in such a positive way to the possibility of a next generation firebird. There may be less firebird owners and fans out there, but I believe they are more passionate (I can hear the backlash now). The firebird came close to extinction more times than the camaro but people spoke up and it lasted 35 years. Without a GTO pontiac will have a firebird.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

The numbers and the $$$ does not pan out.....you also forgot to count the doors..the 300c and the charger took the place of other 4 door crysler products...the 2 door sport coup market is very different form the 4 door market..I think you are dreaming ..but have a nice time..keep in mind that GM is not going to compete with itself as it has in the past..pontiac will probably have a 2 door sport coup AKA GTO..the firebird aint happening...the Camaro was the real deal and will be again in the show rooms in January 2009....the firebird was a maketing exercise..RIP

Last edited by slt200mph; 12-06-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Launching!

So what your saying is that declining SUV sales means nothing? It's pretty safe to say that beacuse a lack of sales and support the GTO will not be making a return. A firebird and camaro are not in direct competition beacuse the profits go to the same company. As for the camaro being the real deal, it was the firebird, not the camaro, that pulled the f-body through the late 70's and not into history. The firebird was not a marketing excersise, it is a piece of GM heritage and americana. It is a stronger seller and has more of a fallowing than the GTO. I think it would be safe to say that if it did return it wouldn't be just a camaro clone again. I'm sure there are a lot of people that want to see the firebird back, I'm one of them. But there are also closed minded people like you that are happy your camaro is back and couldn't give a **** about the firebird. Right now is a promising time for people like me, there is a new camaro on the horizon, no news of a new GTO, and pontiac wants to go to all RWD. The writing is on the wall if you want to tell how there is no way then go ahead, I think it is very possible.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

So what your saying is that declining SUV sales means nothing? It's pretty safe to say that beacuse a lack of sales and support the GTO will not be making a return. A firebird and camaro are not in direct competition beacuse the profits go to the same company. As for the camaro being the real deal, it was the firebird, not the camaro, that pulled the f-body through the late 70's and not into history. The firebird was not a marketing excersise, it is a piece of GM heritage and americana. It is a stronger seller and has more of a fallowing than the GTO. I think it would be safe to say that if it did return it wouldn't be just a camaro clone again. I'm sure there are a lot of people that want to see the firebird back, I'm one of them. But there are also closed minded people like you that are happy your camaro is back and couldn't give a **** about the firebird. Right now is a promising time for people like me, there is a new camaro on the horizon, no news of a new GTO, and pontiac wants to go to all RWD. The writing is on the wall if you want to tell how there is no way then go ahead, I think it is very possible.

Sorry ..I didn't know you were so sensitive..and you got butt hurt by the truth.. My mind is not closed..I hope they build the Firebird, GTO and what ever your next phantasy pontiac 2 door car is.. but I know better ... and I know people who really do know what is happening..have a nice day..go get a hug you'll feel much better ..

They are in competition the and 2 door market is not that large and here is a news flash for ya... GM is broke..the tooling costs are staggering..ect, ect. you just dont know what you are talking about..I admire your enthusiasim but it dosn't translate into successful business for the general.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:04 AM
Launching!

Sorry, I didn't mean to question you so much that you have to try and make it out like I'm the cry baby. I think that everyone who knows anybody that works at a chevy dealer thinks they "know" whats going on. If I heard anything in your arguement that wasn't based on pure heirsay I might take you the least bit serious. But I don't, so think what you want, everyone can have an opinion. Whatever makes you sleep better at night, have fun.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to question you so much that you have to try and make it out like I'm the cry baby. I think that everyone who knows anybody that works at a chevy dealer thinks they "know" whats going on. If I heard anything in your arguement that wasn't based on pure heirsay I might take you the least bit serious. But I don't, so think what you want, everyone can have an opinion. Whatever makes you sleep better at night, have fun.

I have been in the car biz for over 40 years so I do know a few folks at GM ... you have no clue about my career enough said ..This was no argument just a statement of facts..just trying to educate you a little because you so obviously needed it..have a happy holiday season ... I dont have time for anymore of this nonproductive BS.. time is my most valuable asset and this is a waste of it ..
Old 12-20-2006, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Camaro will be lighter and faster by design. How fast is a stock 60's-70's GTO Family car compared to a stock 60's-70's Camaro?
Old 12-22-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The "New" GTO's Are Lame, Camaro's All The Way Baby...

Quick Reply: 2009 Camaro VS 2009 GTO