Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Will there be a 500hp engine for the 2009 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will there be a 500hp engine for the 2009 Camaro?

I heard something about a 2nd engine. Any input?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. The base Corvette has 430 now, if I recall correctly. I would not expect any more than "420" out of the highest hp engine offered in the new Camaro.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Nothing official has been said about powerplants yet.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

I've learned to stop looking at this part of the forum except for maybe once every other month. Otherwise I get too anxious and it really starts to bother me that we don't know this information yet...ah I hate patience!!! lol
Old 06-21-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

That would be soooooo bad *** if they rolled out the LS3 for the new Camaro.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by idrivefast22
I've learned to stop looking at this part of the forum except for maybe once every other month. Otherwise I get too anxious and it really starts to bother me that we don't know this information yet...ah I hate patience!!! lol
You're right! I'm sick of waiting and waiting. It's always next year, or the year after. Why the hell don't they just come out with it instead of these 2, 3 or 4 year waits. What a pisser. I'm ready to buy the LS3 Vette in 2 months. Maybe I'll put a turbocharger in my present Camaro, just to hold me down until they finally come out with something really fast. So there.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned

Your government dealt a big time negative blow to the Performance Car Industry yesterday. They told the auto industry by 2020 it needed to improve mpg by 40% or 400% doesn't matter. If there is a 500 h.p. F replacement it will come early. Personally, I think the car is near death and it hasn't been built yet.

Between Insurance and the Government who will be capable of buying the vehicle?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad

Between Insurance and the Government who will be capable of buying the vehicle?

Me...i'll be broke as hell, but who cares. I'm only young once right?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, this just means that that lovely 3900 V6 with the DOD that shuts it down to three cylinders that allows the IMPALA to get around 30mpg HAS to be the base engine unless they choose to use a four. I think alot of you guys are forgetting(for the moment anyway) that EVERY transmission that this car will come with will have six gears IIRC. Fuel economy can also be drastically increased by using a taller rear end gear, like a 2.73 or whatever. I personally think GM can get their fuel economy down with ease. I bet a 3900-powered Camaro with a 6-spd auto and 2.73's out back could get like ~35 mpg easily. With a high powered four, even better. GM gave us an L4 with previous CAFE restrictions, so I'm SURE they'll do it again if they have to to save such an important project...

And what do you mean YOUR government? It's YOURS too.lol

You know, I think it is up to you guys....
Would you rather have the disgrace of seeing four cylinder Camaros running around, or would you take a diesel and still have a bit of dignity left in the new Camaro? I'll take a diesel personally...
Old 06-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Teching In

i went to chevrolet last week looking at buying a new corvette, while i was their a salesman who is supposed to be "the guy who knows all about the new camaro " told me the first year a ls2 420hp in the new camaro, then in 2 years a 500 hp one. so who knows. he said their is a waiting list.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by besz28
i went to chevrolet last week looking at buying a new corvette, while i was their a salesman who is supposed to be "the guy who knows all about the new camaro " told me the first year a ls2 420hp in the new camaro, then in 2 years a 500 hp one. so who knows. he said their is a waiting list.
Well, the LS2 engine is close to being out of production, so that shows you how much he knows.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by besz28
Sure is a waiting list. It's 2007 the car isn't scheduled till 2009. I haven't seen specifications, price, colors, interior colors, or options. I was told i could sell the car at sticker.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

The new fuel standards are good. We spend 850 Mill a day on foreign oil. Would be nice to keep that in the country.

W
Old 06-23-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WECIV
The new fuel standards are good. We spend 850 Mill a day on foreign oil. Would be nice to keep that in the country.

W
+1 I am ALL FOR spending less on gasoline. Better fuel economy is a good thing!
Old 06-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Default 500+ camaro

GM needs to make a blown camaro with 500+ at the time it is released their will be a higher hp z06 or z07 whatever their going to call it so the vette will still be top dog....

BUT in our competition with FORD the gt500's power plant sorry to say is kickin *** and takin names right now...

If you go on the forums you cant find an post on a gt500 that has blown up that thing is practically bulletproof gt500's are makin 650+rwhp on stock clutch and internals ON PUMP GAS!!!!

If GM does not have an answer for the GT500 then we will be waving by to the camaro once again!!!

I WANT A 500+ MODABLE LSX MOTOR IN MY CAMARO OR THEIRS NO POINT TO THE CAR.

P.S. compare how many gt500's have blown up to how many z06's have blown up cause of the garbage pistons they put in their was a lil concern with the rods in a gt500 but its pretty clear keep it under 800 rwhp and they'll be fine...

GM NEEDS TO GET BACK ON TOP OF THAT CIRCUIT!!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HotRodNeil
I heard something about a 2nd engine. Any input?
Well, I just read in July's Car and Driver, Page 50, that there will be two engines, the 400HP and a 500Hp. Check out the magazine and tell me what you think.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GhostC5
GM needs to make a blown camaro with 500+ at the time it is released their will be a higher hp z06 or z07 whatever their going to call it so the vette will still be top dog....

BUT in our competition with FORD the gt500's power plant sorry to say is kickin *** and takin names right now...

If you go on the forums you cant find an post on a gt500 that has blown up that thing is practically bulletproof gt500's are makin 650+rwhp on stock clutch and internals ON PUMP GAS!!!!

If GM does not have an answer for the GT500 then we will be waving by to the camaro once again!!!

P.S. compare how many gt500's have blown up to how many z06's have blown up cause of the garbage pistons they put in their was a lil concern with the rods in a gt500 but its pretty clear keep it under 800 rwhp and they'll be fine...

GM NEEDS TO GET BACK ON TOP OF THAT CIRCUIT!!!!
Wow, I think my IQ dropped a few points just from reading that. There is no way GM can put a 500hp motor in the Camaro and keep it in the price range they want to. The Camaro isn't made to compete with the GT500, the Corvette is. If you are so worried about GT500s buy a Vette.

Stupidest thing I have ever read. You obviously don't get it.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

What? All i've ever heard about the Gt500's is that they are an overpriced tank. ****, one guy was even talking about dealer markups in the 90k range. I've never shopped for one so I wouldn't know.

Spending money on fuel wouldn't be a bad thing if we drilled our own. Yeah, off in the gulf of mexico, alaska or right between hawaii and the pacific NW. It's out there.. the whole world is rich in it (it's naturally occurring if you haven't heard).. yet we don't go after it (although CUBA is beginng to drill in the gulf w/ China soon...). I say build more refineries (we haven't built any since the 70s) to fix our capacity problems and help lower costs. Not sure why President Bush would give us CAFE...sigh, we don't need it, and it's the wrong approach to fixing our problem.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GTODan
Wow, I think my IQ dropped a few points just from reading that. There is no way GM can put a 500hp motor in the Camaro and keep it in the price range they want to. The Camaro isn't made to compete with the GT500, the Corvette is. If you are so worried about GT500s buy a Vette.
I disagree. They can easily have a Camaro, or Camaros in the price range you speak of. That doesn't mean ALL Camaros have to be in that range. V6 and base V8 models could be "cheap", with the top-of-the-line version (called SS maybe) having 500 hp.
When the Camaro comes back, I think the GT500 WILL be competition to the top-of-the-line Camaro. How could a Camaro and a Mustang not be competition to each other? The only reason that the GT500's competition is a Vette now is because that's all GM has to offer at the moment.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope so!!!

Quick Reply: Will there be a 500hp engine for the 2009 Camaro?