Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Should we sell our current f-bodies now, because the new Camaro is coming out?
Yes.
13.05%
No.
69.51%
I don't care.
17.44%
Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Should we sell our current f-bodies now, because the new Camaro is coming out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should we sell our current f-bodies now, because the new Camaro is coming out?

I have a 2002 SOM Z28 that I bought brand-new and I have plans to turn it into an 11-second daily driver. I just have a feeling that, when the new Camaro comes out, I'm not going to like my 2002 SOM Z28 as much. I can easily convince myself that my solid rear-axle, relatively lightweight Z28 does have its advantages on the dragstrip, but in the end, it's still the older car with the crappy 90's GM interior (a fact, not an opinion). So, I'm thinking about selling it and I'll probably get a decent amount of money for it since it does have the over-rated SOM color, no internal engine modifications, and has the 1SC (stripped-down) options package. And, since the new Camaro hasn't come out yet, now would be the best time to sell it, before its inflated market value of $15,000 turns into $5,000 at the end of 2008. My only problem with selling the car is that I went through blood, sweat, and tears just to pay it off. It has a lot of sentimental value.

Would you sell yours for my same reasons? or would you keep it? Why or why not? Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

If you like going fast and you trade your 11 sec monster in for a 13 second pig you will be disappointed.. At least I was when I did a simlar thing.. I trader my highly modded 98 Z28 M6 in for a factory 2002 firehawk cause I though t looked cool.. Yeah it did but it was boring to drive compared to my Z.. I have neither now but but to this day I would give almost anything to have that old Z back..

If you are more into the looks an less speed then yeah trade that bitch in casue that new Camaro looks mean as hell.

Last edited by Joel_SS; 06-30-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Keep the old one and get a new one. Make a collection out of these cars.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Haha Im with 02_LS1. Im just about to get my ta paid off, but its got to much sentimental value to just get rid of it when the new camaro comes out. More than likely Ill keep this car all my life to play with. Ill prob wait a year and get a camaro that someone drove a couple thousand miles and then decided they didnt like it. Thats what happened w/ the mustangs when they came out and they had a ton on the used lots near me for quite a bit off the sticker.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by 02_LS1
Keep the old one and get a new one. Make a collection out of these cars.

No reason to sell the old just to buy the new. I'd rather have both.

The new Camaro is going to be a very different car from the 4th gens. There will be improvements considering it's a brand new car compared to 10 year old LS1s. But IMO, the 4th gens will still be cool to own, especially if you have one in excellent condition. IMO, the older a car gets (while being kept in excellent condition) the cooler it becomes. Anybody can go out and buy a new car that's in perfect shape, but as time goes on it gets harder and harder to find older cars that are still mint.

I guess I'm just not one of those people that sells something off that I like just because something newer is coming out. If I like a car, I like a car - it really doesn't matter to me if I have the hottest new thing or not. I just buy what I like. I do like the new Camaro, and my current plan is to buy one. But at this time I still plan to keep my 14k mile 4th gen as well.

As for the "crappy '90s GM interior", that depends on what you compare it to. I really don't think it's that bad considering the price range of the car when new. Now if you compare it to a Benz, then yes it's not all that nice. But compared to it's direct competition in that era (mustang), I really don't see anything wrong with it for the money. Muscle cars are not supposed to have a Cadillac-like interior. If that's what you want, then you should be looking for a luxury sport couple (like your GTO) and not a muscle car.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Keep both!! My car is payed off and I still owe like 10g's on the wife's SS. I have made the decision to keep both of them, and get a 5th gen. I think it would be cool to have a collection of f-bodies.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would keep both if I could afford to, but I'll need to sell the 4th Gen for a down payment on a 5th Gen.
I don't have room for another car anyway, so off it will go.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

The guy I bought my house from owned a tractor trailer, so I have a rather large garage behind my house for f-bodies.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
I would keep both if I could afford to, but I'll need to sell the 4th Gen for a down payment on a 5th Gen.
I don't have room for another car anyway, so off it will go.
Put back $40 a week until it comes out and there's your d.p.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im keeping mine. im hoping to own two huggers one day.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only if you don't like your old one, if you like it keep it.

I like mine, it isn't hard on my wallet and i'm still not sold on what the new one is. So for me old one will work fine.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn fellas! Why would you want to sell it? No1 knows ANYTHING (actual specs) about the new Camaro! It could be a heavy & slow (like the Charger RT)! Did you buy an FBody for an investment because I sure as hell didnt. If you get rid of your FBody because of this thread, then simply, investment overpowers everything there is to like the about them!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am argeeing with most of what I am hearing here.

One thing I would want stress is IF you don't have your car paid off pay it off now. The dropping cost will encourage you to sell it if you still have a note on the car. IMO, people won't pay enough to get out of the note because its more than the car is worth and def not when the new Camaro comes out. Weight on your shoulders!

If you sit on the idea of selling your car for a second you will realise that the cost of ownership isn't that much on your paid off Z and its a fun weekend car. KEEP IT A WKEND CAR so you don't have to ponder over the shittyness of the interior. Get the new Camaro for your DD and you wil have the best of both worlds.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:01 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
Only if you don't like your old one, if you like it keep it.

I like mine, it isn't hard on my wallet and i'm still not sold on what the new one is. So for me old one will work fine.
Exactly. People talk about how expensive the GTO's are with the monthly payments and all; just think about how high the price will be for the 5th gen. And you KNOW that they will be charging an arm and a leg for this thing, just like they did for the current Mustang. Painful as it sounds, everyone should wait a year or two until the hype goes away unless you've got that much money lying around...
Old 07-03-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes. especially you pewter ws6 owners. sell them now.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am keeping my baby, after 20-30k already in this one, I know I will never get what I put into it back. Unless I sold on that auction speed channel shows.

So can I change the wording to say - Track Proven 1/4 times instead of taken to the drag strip every once in a while Seasoned motor = 85k
Old 07-04-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have seen this before with the 3rd and 4th gen. I for see a lot of 5th Vs 4th gen posts. Gonna be like how it was in the 90s with the 3rd Vs 4th gen. Lotta 4th gen guys who can afford it are gonna sell theirs for a 5th gen. Gotta keep in mind by 09 the newest 4th gen will be 7 years old the oldest will be 16. Lotta guys are gonna be tired of dumping money in their old 4th gens and want a new cars. You'll have some hard core 4th gen guys trench in and stick with it, but a lot of the people saying they'll stick with their 4th gens are gonna bail out. Its the same reason a lot of people I knew back in the late 90s sold their third gens, cars got old, stuff broke, wanted a new car, so they sold out and went to the "dark side," those guys were also some of the most hard core third gen guys I knew. Most are 4th gen owners now.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
I have seen this before with the 3rd and 4th gen. I for see a lot of 5th Vs 4th gen posts. Gonna be like how it was in the 90s with the 3rd Vs 4th gen. Lotta 4th gen guys who can afford it are gonna sell theirs for a 5th gen. Gotta keep in mind by 09 the newest 4th gen will be 7 years old the oldest will be 16. Lotta guys are gonna be tired of dumping money in their old 4th gens and want a new cars. You'll have some hard core 4th gen guys trench in and stick with it, but a lot of the people saying they'll stick with their 4th gens are gonna bail out. Its the same reason a lot of people I knew back in the late 90s sold their third gens, cars got old, stuff broke, wanted a new car, so they sold out and went to the "dark side," those guys were also some of the most hard core third gen guys I knew. Most are 4th gen owners now.
That's all perfectly natural though. Most people don't stick with a car for life.

When you use a car as a daily driver, they get old and worn out over the years. Most people don't have a bunch of cars and they'll sell their 10 year old daily driver 4th gen to get a new 5th gen, which makes sense.

Only people that will keep their 4th gens are:

- People that can't afford the 5th gen.
- People that plan to buy a 5th gen in addition to their 4th gen (like me ).
- People that really don't like the 5th gen and choose to keep fixing their 4th gen till something else comes along that they like.

I'm keeping mine because it's not a daily driver, it's in perfect shape, and I don't need to sell it to afford a 5th gen. 4th gens are special to me and I'd like to keep at least one in my collection. Granted, I might change my mind at some point, but as of now I plan to own both. An excellent condition 4th gen will still be a cool car to own going well into the future, and ones in really good shape will become more and more rare as time goes on (just like the 3rd gens), which will make owning a really nice one something rare and special. At least to me.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

I'm never selling my bird. It was my first "real" car. Or at least the first car I ever took pride in. I could not see selling it. I'll just have 2!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pheonix_rising
I'm never selling my bird. It was my first "real" car. Or at least the first car I ever took pride in. I could not see selling it. I'll just have 2!
Agreed, I have just to much sweat into this car to give her up. Also too many memories at the track, shows, etc...

It still has the wow affect.

Heck once I get the new heads on, the only stock think left on her will be the block and I may just have that also reworked Pretty sure I have another Camaro just in parts on the side of my garage.

The 09 I think I will just leave her be and just get it absolutely loaded.

Quick Reply: Should we sell our current f-bodies now, because the new Camaro is coming out?