Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: motor in 2009!?
how many people besides me think that the new maro will get the LS3?
71.51%
come out with a LS5?
8.38%
or put the new motors that are coming out in 2010?
20.11%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

2009 camaro engine!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
i'll say it.

there isnt a 2007 RWD V8 3000lb car on the road. the corvette weighs more then that.
there isnt a 2007 fullsize sedan, regardless of engine, on the road that weighs less then 3000.
I didn't literally mean that the Camaro would weigh 3000lbs or 4000lbs, I merely used that to make a point.

And I'll damn well call anyone a "dumbass", who feels certain that the Camaro is going to be a slow, fat pig.

Its possible that the new Camaro will weigh 3800lbs, and its possible that it may weight 3500-3600lbs. I don't know what GM is planning, and therefore I don't say that the new Camaro will weigh 3500lbs and be super light, and handle like a f430.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im getting a stripped down base v6 model...

Drag car 100%
Old 11-04-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

3.5L V6 base
3.6L DOHC V6 option
6.2L V8 top

That's it.

Engines listed above are easy enough to figure out if you know GM powertrain, can't say for sure what final states of tunes or mods will be come 2010.

No power adders at day 1, never know what will happen.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think they should release a high performance hybrid!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Teching In

There'll be a detuned from the corvette LS3 in there somewhere. It just makes more sense than anything else. Heck, the CTS-V is slated to get it, why not the Camaro?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The last Cadillac CTS-V didn't even get a detuned Vette engine. Though I'm sure the Camaro will, as it cost almost half the price
Old 11-10-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, are all of you forgetting that the Zeta platformates are all getting 6.0L V8's, not the LS3? *ding ding ding* HELLOOOOO!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
1. no thirdgen ever had a "corvette motor" in it.
2. by 87, they were all fuel injected.

now, 87 was the year the GTA was introduced, and you could get it with the 305 TPI motor (the LB9) or the 350 TPI (the L98)
and it was the first year for TPI.
oh, and that was also the first year for roller cams..

but it was in no way shape or form the "corvette motor" from that year or any other year.
In fact, 86 was the first year for TPI. The only big difference from the corvette and fbody's was that the 'vette had aluminum heads to the fbody's iron. Sorry
Old 11-10-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Guys, are all of you forgetting that the Zeta platformates are all getting 6.0L V8's, not the LS3? *ding ding ding* HELLOOOOO!
Hydramatic, does it really make sense that the Camaro would get the exact same engine as is in the Impala and G8?

Like 90% of the people here swear the Camaro will weigh 3700lbs+, I doubt the Camaro will:
1: Be only as fast as the 4th Gens
2: Only be as fast as family sedans (Impala SS and G8 GT)
Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by The Evil Genius
There'll be a detuned from the corvette LS3 in there somewhere. It just makes more sense than anything else. Heck, the CTS-V is slated to get it, why not the Camaro?
It wont be detuned. For several years now GM has been putting the same engine in the corvette in other models at the same power rating. I think they realized doing that is just a waste of money compared to a single standardized engine.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GTODan
It wont be detuned. For several years now GM has been putting the same engine in the corvette in other models at the same power rating. I think they realized doing that is just a waste of money compared to a single standardized engine.
Technically this isn't entirely true either, depending upon how you define "detuned".

There have usually been small differences in the non-vette applications. Intake, exhaust, cams, tuning, changes in the heads or even the block (2bolt/4bolt) at times.

It's nit-picking, but if you want to be 100% accurate about it...
Old 11-14-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hc8719
Hydramatic, does it really make sense that the Camaro would get the exact same engine as is in the Impala and G8?

Like 90% of the people here swear the Camaro will weigh 3700lbs+, I doubt the Camaro will:
1: Be only as fast as the 4th Gens
2: Only be as fast as family sedans (Impala SS and G8 GT)
So, what's wrong with the base v8 being "only" as fast as the FASTEST of every previous generation? I think that's a hell of a way to start things off for the Camaro. You have to remember that, although the initial version may be "slow"(still faster than the Mustang GT...), it will only get faster as GM puts higher-performance engines into it, like the LS3, etc. Also, take into consideration that this 5th gen will quite possibly be the nicest-driving, most-refined, and easily have arguably the best interior appointments ever put into an F-body. You guys just need to be patient about the power-delivery stuff. Besides, most of the guys who say they will never buy a "measly" ~360hp 6.0L Camaro also said that they wouldn't buy the car the first year anyway, so the later introduction of hi-po motors is gonna work out for you guys anyway!
Old 11-22-2007, 05:27 AM
10 Second Club

I'll throw this out there.

I have one of those fat, ugly, slow, IRS GTO's.

Last year it ran the times in my sig. Cam only, with headers, exhaust, UD pulley and a CAI. Stock rear end with stock rear gears and stock 17" rims. Since then it has gotten some more lovin' and I expect better times this year.

I've done all the engine work on it myself. In fact, I've done all the work, period, except for the tranny. I've also helped other GTO owners with their mods. The car is incredibly easy to work on. Change plugs in about 15 minutes. Heads and cam swap in a day in the driveway, less if you have 2-3 guys that know what they are doing and have all the tools & parts on hand.

If the new Camaro, built in Australia, is built to the same standards as the GTO, I expect a high quality, weekend wrench friendly car with a ton of hot rod potential. I would expect a 3800lb car, or even heavier. There is little weight reduction that can be done on these cars, and the GTO was only in production for 3 years because it wouldn't meet 2007 safety standards. Those safety standards will make the Camaro heavier, IMO.

I won't buy a first year Camaro, but so far there are only 3 cars that I'm looking at for my next ride. 1) Corvette, 2) Camaro, or 3) G8 (hey, who knows, in 3-4 years I might need a back seat and 4 doors).

As for what engines . . . I expect 2 engine options, a V6 and a V8 and the V8 for the first year will be an LS3 and it will not be de-tuned. I hope they throw a S/C or even turbo on the car at some point.

In the meantime, keep your fingers crossed for me to get my car back from the tranny shop in time to take advantage of some of the good air days coming up at Gainesville Raceway. I'm shooting for 11.2-11.3 on motor and 10.5 on nitrous.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FraggerCrue
I'll throw this out there.

I have one of those fat, ugly, slow, IRS GTO's.

Last year it ran the times in my sig. Cam only, with headers, exhaust, UD pulley and a CAI. Stock rear end with stock rear gears and stock 17" rims. Since then it has gotten some more lovin' and I expect better times this year.

I've done all the engine work on it myself. In fact, I've done all the work, period, except for the tranny. I've also helped other GTO owners with their mods. The car is incredibly easy to work on. Change plugs in about 15 minutes. Heads and cam swap in a day in the driveway, less if you have 2-3 guys that know what they are doing and have all the tools & parts on hand.

If the new Camaro, built in Australia, is built to the same standards as the GTO, I expect a high quality, weekend wrench friendly car with a ton of hot rod potential. I would expect a 3800lb car, or even heavier. There is little weight reduction that can be done on these cars, and the GTO was only in production for 3 years because it wouldn't meet 2007 safety standards. Those safety standards will make the Camaro heavier, IMO.

I won't buy a first year Camaro, but so far there are only 3 cars that I'm looking at for my next ride. 1) Corvette, 2) Camaro, or 3) G8 (hey, who knows, in 3-4 years I might need a back seat and 4 doors).

As for what engines . . . I expect 2 engine options, a V6 and a V8 and the V8 for the first year will be an LS3 and it will not be de-tuned. I hope they throw a S/C or even turbo on the car at some point.

In the meantime, keep your fingers crossed for me to get my car back from the tranny shop in time to take advantage of some of the good air days coming up at Gainesville Raceway. I'm shooting for 11.2-11.3 on motor and 10.5 on nitrous.

The smartest thing ive heard on this forum in a while. Im tired of the bitching about the weight, IRS, and other nit-pick crap. GTOs are a friendly car to work on and if the camaro is anything like it; then I believe that we will be graced by a high quality car at a decent price that will also have good performance potential.

I swear, everyone thinks they have a crystalball on the Camaro being a failure. The narrow-minded post are getting old.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSjinx
The smartest thing ive heard on this forum in a while. Im tired of the bitching about the weight, IRS, and other nit-pick crap. GTOs are a friendly car to work on and if the camaro is anything like it; then I believe that we will be graced by a high quality car at a decent price that will also have good performance potential.

I swear, everyone thinks they have a crystalball on the Camaro being a failure. The narrow-minded post are getting old.
I agree. Only the morons are posting mindless babble about something they don't know anything about. I don't see any GM reps posting in here.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Teching In

i dont care i just want it ASAP
Old 12-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

I saw a poser for sale in Walmart of the 2009 Camaro, and on the side it said "engine: High Output LS2".
Old 12-02-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea that would be one of the protoype cars specifications. The ls2 isnt going to be produced anymore since the ls3.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea in the magazine i was reading about the concept it had a ls2 in it, HOWEVER it also said the whole driveline may still be altered and is in no way def, i expect a ls3 =)
Old 12-03-2007, 11:03 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell u too,the IRS is a god send...
It rides so nice,no rattles and works just fine for most street/strip guys.

Sure the hardcore guys will want a solid axle and someone will probably make the kit but IF I was going to buy a new Camaro I would want the IRS....

My GTO is the best car I have ever owned,It does everything well
U guys who are waiting on the new Camaro will love the IRS over the solid axle
Just wait and see

Quick Reply: 2009 camaro engine!?