Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Camaro Goes Hybrid, As GM Axes Rear-Drive Impala, LaCrosse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree totally...we should have had a new camaro in 03...I would be driving a 04 or 05 now if it were not for their **** poor planning. I would have one camaro and nothing else for a daily driver, but that is their loss.

W
Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
1996 technology???
The LS1 was designed in 95-96 and powered the '97 Corvette.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just want some one to tell me that the article isn't true. GM gets a D- as far as planning goes this car should have been out 2 years ago minimum. As far as pricing goes i'm keeping my fingers crossed. As for design I think Gm should get a B,B+ grade subject to change when the camaro comes out becasue I think they are really taking their time and trying to make the camaro really good. Like all the others i waiting on pins and needles.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kozak
I just want some one to tell me that the article isn't true. GM gets a D- as far as planning goes this car should have been out 2 years ago minimum. As far as pricing goes i'm keeping my fingers crossed. As for design I think Gm should get a B,B+ grade subject to change when the camaro comes out becasue I think they are really taking their time and trying to make the camaro really good. Like all the others i waiting on pins and needles.
Well, here's how I'm pretty sure the Camaro went down at GM....

Lutz: Hey let's make a Camaro concept car and gauge public reaction to the loss of an American classic!

Wagner: ok lollerskates!

months later....

Lutz: and here is the Camaro Concept! We could build it if ya'll really want!(not really being serious, because, according to the bean counters at GM circa 2000, NOBODY wants to buy a new Camaro...)

General Public: *foaming at the mouth* GIVE US THE CAR ALREADY! *end foaming at the mouth*

Lutz: Ummmm yeah, I guess we'll, ah, get right on making ....it.*speed dials Holden R&D*

Days later....

Lutz< >bean-counters

The End
Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kozak
I just want some one to tell me that the article isn't true.
Pay attention then, because twice in this thread I've stated that this article is made up.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

well, the new challanger is comming out and the SRT8 variant (which is the only one that will be available for the first year) is priced just above $37,000. meaning the regular 380hp hemi R/T with VCT and MDS will be cheaper and the 3.5 V6 will be even more affordable. the hybrid would be a gay idea and just add a lot of unnecessary weight. a small turbo diesel would get incredible fuel economy. im sure the V6 and base V8 will be within the ball park of the mustang and challanger with something like the SS or ZL1 camaro being ridiculously overpriced.

and as far as fuel economy is concerned, there is serious talk about the chevy volt potentially hitting the streets in 2010. if gm comes out with a vehicle line that is pure electric, would it be considered 0mpg and hurt them for their average fleet ratings or would they get some sort of rewards for selling a vehicle that consumes no fuel. when GM scrapped that little SVE1 (or whatever it was called) back in the 90's they caught all kinds of hell and it let the japs start introducing hybrids. they shot themselves in the foot there but if they bring back and mass produce the electric car how is it going to affect the rest of their fleet?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

As someone in Motor Trend's fanmail column said, why not just take the volt and get rid of all the heavy-*** hybrid equipment and give it a really small four or three cylinder. The weight savings would more than make up for the hybrid tech!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no doubt the hippy epa doesn't want the 400 and even 300 horsepower cars to exist. GM will get this one in "under the wire" because the development group has proven themselves as car guys. Think about it this way. The '67 camaro, the '69 camaro, the '73 camaro...5 years of fun before things went to hell and the gas crunch hit.

Get yours while you can, at any price, and you won't regret it because it will be the only thing fun to ride around in 20 years from now.

As for the epa...and California. Buy a copy of Ayn Rand's Atlas shrugged. It's all about fascist government working against us "the market" and screwing with big business because they are easiest central target. The car companies should have stopped selling to californians when they overrode Federal law in the 70's. it wouldn't have been long before the californian's revolted against their state government. GM could do the same thing now by selling their "cool stuff" only overseas...the people would rise up...I hope.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Well, here's how I'm pretty sure the Camaro went down at GM....
LMAO...

I was thinking something more like

Lutz: Ok everyone likes the 2006 Camaro concept, I guess we have to make it now

Wagoner: Fine, but I really would like to see our guys finishing the Chevy HHR and underpowered Solstice/Sky cars, thats where all the money is. Let's hold off on the Camaro for a few years...
Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
Pay attention then, because twice in this thread I've stated that this article is made up.
I know man i read the whole thing. Just keep reminding the people. Oh and btw what is the "your going to forget the LS7 ever existed" quote in your sig reffering to? Is it the LS9? or a possible camaro related motor?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

I don't see how it would matter anyway. Just buy the car, take whatever motor they put in it out and swap an LSX in it... Problem solved.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adillhoff
I don't see how it would matter anyway. Just buy the car, take whatever motor they put in it out and swap an LSX in it... Problem solved.
Umm have you ever done an engine swap. You really don't want to have to go through all that unless you have too
Old 02-11-2008, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

why not drop the v6 line b/c its always been pointless anyway? who really wants a v6 camaro....nobody on this site I bet. Curse everyone that gets in the way of automotive progress to save the trees. We're all going to die anyway why can't we go out in style
Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
So many other cars (some by GM and others from other car companies) came out as concepts after the camaro concept and those cars are already on the street or near it. There is no real reason it isn't out already other than GM not stepping up to the plate after the concept. Almost no cars that make the buzz that the camaro did take this long after the concept debuts to go into production. It's been nothing but a mistake for GM not to start selling the 5th gen already, because it should have been on the streets as an 07 or 08 at the latest. They have been costing themselves money
My thoughts exactly..They are 5 years to late with this car..We should be talking about the 6th Gen car by now, not this fuggin car that we keep seeing at every ****** Auto show around the U.S. It's getting old if you ask me..I agree, Tell us what the drivetrain is going to be instead all this smoke & mirrors ******* bullshit. If I know Lutz the Putz, they have no clue themselves what the drivetrain is..Okay, I am off my soapbox now.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 PM

I think the government is right in increasing the mpg requirement ON DOMESTIC CARS!

Why do SUV's get an exception but Sports cars don't?
This is the real problem! Yeah some the government needs to prod car companies to make cars more efficient as well. If they didnt we wouldnt get much innovation.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dan
My thoughts exactly..They are 5 years to late with this car..We should be talking about the 6th Gen car by now, not this fuggin car that we keep seeing at every ****** Auto show around the U.S. It's getting old if you ask me..I agree, Tell us what the drivetrain is going to be instead all this smoke & mirrors ******* bullshit. If I know Lutz the Putz, they have no clue themselves what the drivetrain is..Okay, I am off my soapbox now.
I've been saying the same thing, GM doesn't even have a completely polished prototype!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
why not drop the v6 line b/c its always been pointless anyway? who really wants a v6 camaro....nobody on this site I bet. Curse everyone that gets in the way of automotive progress to save the trees. We're all going to die anyway why can't we go out in style
Maybe no one on this site... but I guarantee that a LOT of V6 models would be sold... just like the V6 mustang.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Of course, they've already sold tons of previous model v6's...but what's the point in a v6 fbody, mustang, etc when they have the malibu or impala to lollygag around in. If they're going to focus on making the best fbody focus on the motor that matters.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:42 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PowershifterNC
Of course, they've already sold tons of previous model v6's...but what's the point in a v6 fbody, mustang, etc when they have the malibu or impala to lollygag around in. If they're going to focus on making the best fbody focus on the motor that matters.
Most people buy a car for looks, not performance. The point in a V6 is so that anyone who likes the looks can afford the car more easily. Building a car based on the engine is not good business sense and it ends up like the GTO. Not everyone wants the looks of the impala or malibu, most people want the camaro look and performance has no bearing on their decision. The masses outnumber us, and GM has to make money on the car and make it available to the masses if they want it to survive

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Most people buy a car for looks, not performance. The point in a V6 is so that anyone who likes the looks can afford the car more easily. Building a car based on the engine is not good business sense and it ends up like the GTO. Not everyone wants the looks of the impala or malibu, most people want the camaro look and performance has no bearing on their decision. The masses outnumber us, and GM has to make money on the car and make it available to the masses if they want it to survive
Agreed, why do you think so many V-6 Mustangs are sold? The chicks like the look, not the performance.