Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

GM Will Promote V6 Camaro, Not the V8 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper91-RS
A coffe grinder stuck inside a dying elephant, most likely? Like most rice? I'm not really pleased about this whole "Inline Turbo 4" ****. I don't want an import motor in my Muscle. I don't care how GM markets it, as long as we all know what it really is. And what it is IS American Muscle.
Eh.. I really dont consider the base models "american muscle" man. They're affordable, aggressive and sporty looking cars that are roughly on par performance wise with the top trim compact sports... they're pony cars (and I really dont think anyone can argue that they're pony cars, thats their specific market).

When I think of the term "american muscle" I think of a raw powered n/a engine and those are the pony cars that fit into that muscle car term... still pony cars, but also muscle cars. A turbo'd I4 is like a little guy with a weapon and a highpowered V6 is like a strong average person.. in which both do not scream "muscle" to me lol.

GTOs, Trans Ams, Formulas, Z28s, Charger R/Ts, Charger SRT-8s, Challenger R/Ts, Challenger SRT-8s, Mustang GTs, Mustang Cobras, Mustang Mach 1s... these are all cars that I consider muscle cars (hell, even the new G8 GT). A base Camaro/Mustang/Challenger is just a pony car and a base Charger/G8 is just a fullsized family car IMO.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1Transhed
I wonder what a Turbo'd I4 Camaro would even sound like lol
With aftermarket exhaust :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZqr...eature=related

Stock :
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PKy4hOP2OOc

Here is a tidbit about the I4 they thought about putting in the Camaro
http://youtube.com/watch?v=srtbhI0R8-A

Listen to the gear limits .... weaksauce! 3rd gear to get to 60mph!!?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
With aftermarket exhaust :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZqr...eature=related

Stock :
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PKy4hOP2OOc

Here is a tidbit about the I4 they thought about putting in the Camaro
http://youtube.com/watch?v=srtbhI0R8-A

Listen to the gear limits .... weaksauce! 3rd gear to get to 60mph!!?
Sounds Great, Doesn't It?..This is going to be the biggest crime since the turn of the century if they put something like this in the Camaro..I can see the 4th gens appreciating already
Old 03-22-2008, 08:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,206 Posts

IMO, the term "pony car" would only apply to a V6 F-body or Mustang.

When fitted with a V8, they are muscle cars. 4 seats, RWD, V8 = Muscle car, IMO.

Anyone that calls a Corvette a Muscle car is an idiot. 2 seats, RWD, V8 = sports car.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Ugh. See I like the Solstice/Sky because they fit/sound/perform to the type of cars they are... Roadsters. But a Camaro that sounds like that... eh... not a fan. At least with a catback on the 96-02 3.8L V6 F-Bodies, they had a sort of deep sound to them.

On a side note: The Solstice would look bad *** with more aggressive headlights... although that doesnt seem to be the image its going for.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
IMO, the term "pony car" would only apply to a V6 F-body or Mustang.

When fitted with a V8, they are muscle cars. 4 seats, RWD, V8 = Muscle car, IMO.

Anyone that calls a Corvette a Muscle car is an idiot. 2 seats, RWD, V8 = sports car.
Agreed. And to add to that ppl try to call our V8 F-Bodies sports cars.. when they're clearly not.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Hahaha that is awesome my M6 gets 28-31mpg and outpowers that lil V6. Don't let the public find out. Wonder what the LS3 or LSA/8 will get in fuel economy, like it would matter anyways.

Like was said before if marketing the badboy as a turbo 4cyl. or V6 super gas saver will keep it alive and sell units that fine w/ me as long as we get out big bad SS with a blown engine.
I would run you any day with my little V6, Runs pump gas, Full power and nice cold ac that you can drive to the drag strip and run 10's at over 120 mph,

How much difference will the LS3 be in fuel economy, I had a 6.2 500 hp LS engine built and put a super charger on it and the same driving as the LS1 it got about 2 mpg less on the highway
Old 03-22-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ never said they couldn't be fast. But stock for stock......
Old 03-22-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
The people who think that Camaros are performance cars exclusively have apparantly forsaken the Camaro's place in GM's lineup. It has been there since the beginning to steal sales from the Mustang and provide the market with an economical coupe that EVERYONE can afford. I hope GM makes the base models $20k or lower...that would spike sales in a good way. If a $20k price tag means having a Turbo Ecotec, then so be it. I need a new Turbo Coupe.
GM has already said it will carry a noticeably higher price when compared to the Mustang...so the notion of a economical alternative to the Mustang is totally out the window.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Awake455
GM has already said it will carry a noticeably higher price when compared to the Mustang...so the notion of a economical alternative to the Mustang is totally out the window.
looks like they reneged AGAIN. id be willing to put money own that the camaro lasts less than 5 years.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with their "green" stance, they could call the V6 version of the camaro a ******* rutabaga or a garden salad for all i give a ****, if that's what it takes to keep them in production.....just as long as they still offer the option of a RWD, V8-powered MUSCLE CAR for those of us who want performance.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LTSpeed
My LS1 already gets 27-28mpg highway. Why would I trade down for a V6?
Hahaha that is awesome my M6 gets 28-31mpg and outpowers that lil V6. Don't let the public find out. Wonder what the LS3 or LSA/8 will get in fuel economy, like it would matter anyways.

Like was said before if marketing the badboy as a turbo 4cyl. or V6 super gas saver will keep it alive and sell units that fine w/ me as long as we get out big bad SS with a blown engine.
I am sure you can get that milage on the highway.

Even with some city driving your combo milage is more like 22 or 23. That is where the V6 will get you. The V6 will use less gas idling and driving in the city.

Try and beat a stick V6? I dunno.... That would be pretty hard. Highway comes down to frontal area for sure but more than one factor come into play from fillup to fillup.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

really... who care if some people want to call it a sports car, muscle car or pony car. No big deal, is it?

The V6 will get 30mpg in real world driving. This years mileage ratings have knocked 2mpg off the old ratings of most cars. That's the one GM should promote, as selling more of these will help the corporate mpg numbers and keep the v8's alive.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

They should have advertised the MPG on the 4th gens. Sounds like a good plan.

W
Old 03-23-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

My only question is: Do you need to have brain damage, be a retard to work at GM???? This the beginning of the end. That new Camaro wont be around for long. I expect 2 or 3 series as the most. This is the GTO flop part 2.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Regular

they can market and say whatever they want. whatever helps keep sales up. Im still getting a V8 Camaro.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are all pony cars.
I always use to consider the Challenger a muscle car since its much larger then the camaro, mustang which are pony car's

Guess I was wrong?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
I always use to consider the Challenger a muscle car since its much larger then the camaro, mustang which are pony car's

Guess I was wrong?
Yeah, its defiantly a pony car. That and the Cuda were Chrysler's answer to the Mustang and F-Bodies. The Charger and Roadrunner were Chrysler's true muscle cars. Although they are a bit bigger, they were still considered "compact cars".. the Muscle cars were Midsized cars... although by todays standards the Muscle cars are fullsized and the Pony cars are midsized lol.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

You don't need to be a genius to figure out how to market it with today's gas prices, carbon footprint obsessions, and media-promoted "green" silliness and hypocrisy. GM has to sell the car in that world.

It's no different from the historical pattern, where the base car is a lame 6 or 4, as in the first three generations and the early 4th gens. Not to worry, the muscle version will be there for those who want it. We have to recognize that the economy versions make the muscle version possible.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chaman
My only question is: Do you need to have brain damage, be a retard to work at GM???? This the beginning of the end. That new Camaro wont be around for long. I expect 2 or 3 series as the most. This is the GTO flop part 2.
I'm starting wonder this as well. It seems like GM is trying to change the image of the Camaro by concentrating on economy engines like the I4 and V6 because of the current "think green" BS going around these days.

Quick Reply: GM Will Promote V6 Camaro, Not the V8 Camaro