Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

GM Will Promote V6 Camaro, Not the V8 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Actually, you once again are not thinking....

The Cobalt SS is the top dog compact. It has a leather interior with heated seats, high-powered audio system, suspension, body kit, possibly Recaros again, and a much higher power-weight ratio than a Camaro would have.

In short, the Cobalt SS would be "better" than a cloth-seat, basic sound system, A/C and ABS, steel-wheel having base model Camaro...And therefore is justified in costing more...

And as far as people saying that a turbo four would be terrible for fuel economy....

When's the last time a turbo four got worse economy in real life? They only get shitty gas mileage if you flog em. Every DI t'four I've ever driven has gotten fantastic gas mileage, especially when paired with a six-speed manual with a super-overdrive gear. The ONLY way I could see a 3.6L getting better mpg is if it somehow got DoD, which I don't see happening with it's DOHC....

Under 3000lbs? Are you idiots? That's less than a Z06! NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. If a ~3500lb 4th gen with an LS1 can do 28mpg on the highway, a 3600lb ecotec turbo with less horsepower can do it no problem, and then some!

I swear sometimes it's like you guys just don't take more than half a second to think about what ya'll are even saying before it comes out...

Sometimes, the prejudice against new motors is just baffling.

What do you guys even care, you're getting the eight anyway? Or are you just talking tough online and are really going for the base model when it debuts? That's called hypocrisy.
ehh... no offense dude but turbo 4's do not get better gas mileage my friend

evo 9 MR is rated at 18-26 mpg...

Sti 07 is 18-24....

Dodge Caliber dumdumdumdumdum 21-26

Vw Gti 25-32 (the best)

sky redline 24-32

ok now the first thing I'm going to state is that I myself am not prejudice against any 4 banger, do I care if it was in the new camaro as a base? no is it practical? Absolutley not.

If you look at my chart up there first of all you can see that just because it's a 4 banger doesn't mean it's gonna get better gas mileage than another engine. As you can see according to the factory an evo gets the same gas mileage as an LS1 with less hp... and it's lighter than say a camaro...

Second I absolutely agree with you, a cobalt ss would be way cooler than a base model camaro and it would be a better buy too, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, also thats our opinions many people would rather have a base camaro with cloth interior over a decked out cobalt simply because it's rwd....

Now I will address putting a turbo Ecotec engine in the new camaro. Please do not call any one an idiot... No one said the camaro was going to be anything close to 3000 flat. From what I read they said "IT WOULD HAVE TO BE IF IT WAS TO GET BETTER GAS MILEAGE THAN THE SIX!!!!!"

Don't believe me? well lets use common logic.... the curb weight of a saturn sky redline with the SAME ecotec engine that you propose would get better gas mileage than the Six in the camaro gets 24-32. The sky redline weighs 2993 lbs. Lets add 700 lbs to that shall we? Do you honestly thing that it's going to get better than the six now? No it will not likely it will be exactly the same worse. Not to mention that you'll need PREMIUM gas as opposed to the six which will take regular

but hold on we forgot about the 6 speed manual transmission with the super overdrive gear... Oh wait there's one problem... they don't make a 6 speed for the ecotec.... Cobalt SS? 5 spd. Sky redline? 5spd. Solstice? 5spd... I don't think GM will make a 6 spd specifically for the camaro's ecotec and even if they did it would only increase the highway mpg... adding a 4 cyl turbo is pointless my friend...

as for the LS1 getting 28 mpg. It's got low end torque too move it? I dunno...
Old 03-24-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

who gives a **** how they market it.

im gonna know more about it than the sales man at the dealership so they can advertise to the general public and tell them whatever they ned to tell them. when i come in looking for the SS, i'll know exactly what im going in for

and camaros, challengers, and mustangs are all pony cars. the muscle cars were mid-sized cars with huge engines. the average camaro challanger and mustang dont have huge engines and they arent mid sized cars.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Akira_X

Sti 07 is 18-24....

Vw Gti 25-32 (the best)

sky redline 24-32

ok now the first thing I'm going to state is that I myself am not prejudice against any 4 banger, do I care if it was in the new camaro as a base? no is it practical? Absolutley not.

If you look at my chart up there first of all you can see that just because it's a 4 banger doesn't mean it's gonna get better gas mileage than another engine. As you can see according to the factory an evo gets the same gas mileage as an LS1 with less hp... and it's lighter than say a camaro...

Second I absolutely agree with you, a cobalt ss would be way cooler than a base model camaro and it would be a better buy too, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, also thats our opinions many people would rather have a base camaro with cloth interior over a decked out cobalt simply because it's rwd....

Now I will address putting a turbo Ecotec engine in the new camaro. Please do not call any one an idiot... No one said the camaro was going to be anything close to 3000 flat. From what I read they said "IT WOULD HAVE TO BE IF IT WAS TO GET BETTER GAS MILEAGE THAN THE SIX!!!!!"

Don't believe me? well lets use common logic.... the curb weight of a saturn sky redline with the SAME ecotec engine that you propose would get better gas mileage than the Six in the camaro gets 24-32. The sky redline weighs 2993 lbs. Lets add 700 lbs to that shall we? Do you honestly thing that it's going to get better than the six now? No it will not likely it will be exactly the same worse. Not to mention that you'll need PREMIUM gas as opposed to the six which will take regular

but hold on we forgot about the 6 speed manual transmission with the super overdrive gear... Oh wait there's one problem... they don't make a 6 speed for the ecotec.... Cobalt SS? 5 spd. Sky redline? 5spd. Solstice? 5spd... I don't think GM will make a 6 spd specifically for the camaro's ecotec and even if they did it would only increase the highway mpg... adding a 4 cyl turbo is pointless my friend...

GM most certainly WOULD create a six-speed or at least give the existing five a super overdrive final gear if this car is supposed to be selling ~60-80k a year in base model form. That's a lot of cars, folks.

My argument for the ecotec turbo is simply a strong "what if" statement, anyway. I think it would be an intelligent choice for GM, and would take some of the strain off of the high-feature V6 plants which are already working at capacity...

I don't like the news talking about a premium price over the Mustang. That simply says "FAILURE" to me. That has always been the Camaros problem since the 4th gens debuted...too damn expensive. I believe the old 3.4l and 3.8l V6 4th gens were going for anywhere between 16-20k depending on the options and year...

I'm sorry if people don't agree with my position, and they've got every right to argue with me, but I don't see another V6 as a viable option for the future of the car.

Oh, and for the guy who asked...The Hyundai Genesis coupe(mustang fighter) will be coming standard with a turbo four in base trim...sitting right at $20K. THAT's another reason for my reasoning.

Also, think about it guys...the turbo ecotec in the Camaro, regardless of what ya'll say would absolutely EMBARASS the 4.0L V6 Mustang...seriously.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do make a 6 speed for the 4 cylinders. Check out Saab's turbo ecotec cars.
http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/93s/f...erformance.jsp
For FWD.

But I think GM has a mid engine RWD 6 speed for opels or another euro car

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 03-24-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

Precisely the point I was trying to make.

Torque is the key. The LS1 has it, the turbo ecotec would have to be waay into boost to make enough torque to haull around a heavy car like the camaro. Add a 6th gear and watch the mileage go down...or the car not be able to pull any hill in 6th.

The turbo ecotec is a "high feature" engine, moreso than the V6 they are talking about putting in. I have great respect for the ecotec, especially the turbo ecotec...but I know better than to expect it to haul around a hulking brick like the new Camaro while getting decent mileage.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Awake455
Precisely the point I was trying to make.

Torque is the key. The LS1 has it, the turbo ecotec would have to be waay into boost to make enough torque to haull around a heavy car like the camaro. Add a 6th gear and watch the mileage go down...or the car not be able to pull any hill in 6th.

The turbo ecotec is a "high feature" engine, moreso than the V6 they are talking about putting in. I have great respect for the ecotec, especially the turbo ecotec...but I know better than to expect it to haul around a hulking brick like the new Camaro while getting decent mileage.

Whoever said GM would do a straight carryover from the Kappas? The General would tune it to work best with the Camaro, and if that means a different turbocharger, then so be it.

Anyway, only time will tell, I guess!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 843 Likes on 645 Posts

A Turbo'd I-6 might not be bad. Remember the 89 Turbo TA?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That was a v6, but yeah, if the environmental ***** take our v8s away, we can always go turbo.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sti 07 is 18-24....

Vw Gti 25-32 (the best)

sky redline 24-32
But don't the Evo and sti have the turbo's on all the time. Forced induction in GM vechicles is only used when the pedal gets hammered.

Actually if you cruise control a Solstice GXP, the little 2.0 liter can get 40 mpg with the turbo off
Old 03-31-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hc8719
But don't the Evo and sti have the turbo's on all the time. Forced induction in GM vechicles is only used when the pedal gets hammered.

Actually if you cruise control a Solstice GXP, the little 2.0 liter can get 40 mpg with the turbo off
All turbo cars work pretty much the same. The cars drive like N/A when you are cruising. Look at the highway numbers above. You might be able to exceed those a bit in cruise, but that's pretty much all you get with performance tuned motors.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
A Turbo'd I-6 might not be bad. Remember the 89 Turbo TA?
That car used a 231ci buick V6 (same as the Grand National) with some different turbo internals and different heads.

LC2s were the best power producing engines of the '80s, IMO. They can still hold their own with some very basic mods, even aganist the LS1 cars. But I still want a V8 in my Camaro.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

all i gotta say is they better make it MF''n fast no matter what. I think the turbo ecotecs are cool, for a small car... I hope the v6s are LSX based, kinda like the old 4.3s were. BC face it, the 3.8s and 3.4s blow *** to work on

Last edited by ZTwentyAteU; 04-01-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to revive this, but I have a few comments.

The Turbo 4 (LNF) that's in the HHR SS is pulling about 3,300 pounds and getting 21 city and 29 highway MPG. Not only that, it comes with all these other goodies such as limited slip and no lift shift. That motor CAN pull the Camaro. Not only that, both the Cobalt and HHR SS start around $23k which has all of the goodies.

I test drove the HHR SS and was very impressed. Absolutely worthy of the SS name plate and is a wonderful car. If I had the money to get the SS HHR and the Camaro, I'd do it.

GM also came out with the Cobalt XFE, you've probably seen it on the commercials they are running. It gets 25 city and 36 highway. Don't count the general out.

If GM does re-nig on their statement about the Camaro being priced similar with the Mustang, blame the government for their CAFE bill. Not only that, BLAME YOURSELF FOR LETTING IT HAPPEN. They are penalizing RWD cars which means GM can't make the Camaro as cheap as they were planning with their Zeta platform being so universal. They can't use it on as many cars as they were planning due to the penalty. Another group of people at fault is the GM Union. They've become what they were made to destroy. PEOPLE! You need to be more active in politics and vote accordingly if you want to keep driving nice, fun, fast, affordable cars. There are people who would soon have you drive the same car as everyone else, slow, ugly and boring. I hear everyone on here complain and moan about how heavy the new muscle cars are and how expensive they are, you need to get active in the car community to keep it alive and to get what you want.

I do think GM is trying to show that the Camaro can get good fuel economy, not make it a Cobalt or Civic. It would help parents pull the trigger on either letting/getting/helping their child get a new Camaro. When people hear the word V8 they immediately think poor gas millage, which isn't true as many of you have posted before. The 4th gens outperform the Mustang in fuel economy and horsepower yet the mustang sold like hotcakes. People didn't know what was in the Camaro. GM needs to let everyone know. Knowledge is key.

EDIT:

I also think that the engines that are available in the G8 will be in the Camaro. The 3.6 (256hp), L98 and LS3. Then again, I could be wrong.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Teching In

heres my take. it doesn't matter, the marketing, gas milage etc. unless it's priced around the mustang versions camaro's will not survive. just look back at the 4th gens. joe blow doesn't care if the camaro is more sophisticated than the mustang. bottom line is the price. The camaro fans will come out for it but you need more than that in todays market.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Who cares what the Camaro is advertized as. Or what engine is standard. As long as you can get an LSA or LS9 in it! Hell I will settle for an LS3 or............... LS7. I am sure it won't be long before APS has a twin turbo kit for it! NOW YOU ARE TALKING.

BTW the 4 cyl Turbo ECOTEC is offered in the Cadilac CTS for Europe.

Quick Reply: GM Will Promote V6 Camaro, Not the V8 Camaro