Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

L99 and LS3

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've read, DoD is almost unnoticeable. As soon as you step on the gas it'll go right back to 8-cylinder mode anyway, so whats the big deal?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

then if being a speed demon and getting the most out of your car is what youre after, chances are within the first year of ownership youre going to do some mods that are going to require the engine to be retuned anyway. so when its being tuned for the mods you paid to have why not just get them to diable the dod while theyre tuning it?!

i still dont see why DOD is the horrible problem you make it out to be.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Cry me a river. Go buy your automatic vette then. LOL

you are seriously not going to get it because of something you can get tuned out?

are you a spoiled little rich boy that always gets exactly what he wants or what?
When I'm spending $30k+ on a new car, yeah.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:48 AM
Launching!

Guys keep in mind that GM didnt put DOD in these cars to **** off people who mod cars ...they need to be able to sell these cars to the average consumer, otherwise we probably wouldn't see another camaro. With gas prices at ~$4.30+ for premium your average consumer isn't going to buy what is perceived as a gas guzzling v8 (granted we all know ls1's and whatnot actually get decent gas mileage) but your average consumer would probably think a v8 is going to get horrible gas mileage compared to a 4 cylinder honda/toyota/etc. With DOD they are able to get even better MPG while still using the v8 we all love. My point is, this isn't the '90s when gas was cheap and a v8 didn't seem so impracticle. Just be happy that GM is bringing the camaro back. If you buy an auto car you'll have to have the computer tuned to delete DOD...but so what? This car has to appeal to more than just camaro enthusiasts, and besides who cant say they'd like to save a few $ in gas while cruising down the interstate?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mhayes2344
Guys keep in mind that GM didnt put DOD in these cars to **** off people who mod cars ...they need to be able to sell these cars to the average consumer, otherwise we probably wouldn't see another camaro. With gas prices at ~$4.30+ for premium your average consumer isn't going to buy what is perceived as a gas guzzling v8 (granted we all know ls1's and whatnot actually get decent gas mileage) but your average consumer would probably think a v8 is going to get horrible gas mileage compared to a 4 cylinder honda/toyota/etc. With DOD they are able to get even better MPG while still using the v8 we all love. My point is, this isn't the '90s when gas was cheap and a v8 didn't seem so impracticle. Just be happy that GM is bringing the camaro back. If you buy an auto car you'll have to have the computer tuned to delete DOD...but so what? This car has to appeal to more than just camaro enthusiasts, and besides who cant say they'd like to save a few $ in gas while cruising down the interstate?
judging by some of the posts on this site there are people who are clearly upset by the fact that GM is trying to make something impractical like a muscle car provide decent milage.

now dont get me wrong. i have a 2000Z28, 1968GTO and a 2005RegCab ram so i know a thing or two about impractical yet awesomely exciting vehicles.

but! when i go to rebuild the engine and tranny in my GTO when i restomod it should i build something with great power and the worst possible fuel economy and reliability? or would i build something with great power, overdrive gears and the reliability of a new modern car? do you not want the best of both worlds?! awesome power and added economy?

saying "i dont want DOD on a stock auto car" is as ignorant as saying "im gonna spill a few gallons of gasoline on my shoes every time i fill up the tank" because it doesnt matter to me or anyone else at all
Old 07-21-2008, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

omg it will be gone once you re-tune it for mods. and if you dont mod it then it wont matter now will it?

so why is it a big deal? because it will save you some $

I really dont understand
Old 07-21-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VenomGTX
From what I've read, DoD is almost unnoticeable. As soon as you step on the gas it'll go right back to 8-cylinder mode anyway, so whats the big deal?
From everything I've read about DoD, that is exactly how it works. For those that are bitching about it, they obviously have never driven a vehicle that has it. It is not like turbo lag, where the damn thing has to spool back up to 8 cylinders. You are cruising, you use 4 - as soon as you jump on it, you get every cylinder firing off instantly - no lag. Try it. Impalas have it, I believe.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Launching!

We should find out something today.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
I feel the same exact way. I wanted an A6 w/ paddle shifters but I don't want to have to do a cam swap and a tune just to get it to run to its full potential. If this DOD crap is in-fact on the A6, then I'll probably be looking for a C6 as well.
you'd have to do a cam swap and tne on ANY car to get it to run to its full potential.

I have yet to see a valid non-AFM arguement.

it may lose about 10 buyers, I would predict it will attract thousands.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 383ss
you'd have to do a cam swap and tne on ANY car to get it to run to its full potential.

I have yet to see a valid non-AFM arguement.

it may lose about 10 buyers, I would predict it will attract thousands.
Should I have to do a cam swap and tune just to get it to run like the LS3? No, that's bullshit. I'm not going to drive a car off a lot just to throw down a grand on a cam and tuning (which may or may not be available when I purchase the car).

And for all of you saying that there is no difference in power from a DOD engine to a non-DOD engine, then why are the power ratings different? Keep in mind these are horsepower numbers AT THE CRANK so obviously power is effected at WOT, when in-theory, DOD should be disabled.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SJRTX
can someone explain in a scientific, tangible way, how DoD harms performance?
Look no further than the horsepower rating between the LS3 and it's L99 variant.

Also, it's not extreme but I do notice the V8 "asleep" running on four cylinders on the freeway when I put my foot in it from cruise on my L76.

And it's not like it's really saving me anything. It doesn't cut cylinders while I sit in traffic every day and I almost never get any opportunities to drive at a constant high speed here in Phoenix.

On my commute my LS2 is returning 17-19mpg. My L76 so far is returning 16-17mpg. Why even bother with it in the first place?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

They bother with it because even though minor, it still saves fuel. Some save more than others (not everyone drives the exact same as you) And with the new CAFE standards car companies need to save it where they can if we still want V8's that perform the way we want them. Even if it's just a psycological thing that gets the average consumer to buy the car, that means more sales and makes the car profitable.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS#1531
Even if it's just a psycological thing that gets the average consumer to buy the car, that means more sales and makes the car profitable.
That's all it is and it wasn't worth delaying the G8 over a year from it's release in Australia and it's also the reason we don't get the manual with the 6.0L. All for a BS marketing gimick on a V8 muscle car. Offering a manual transmission would save more fuel than this cylinder bullshit does.

If people want economy they can buy the V6 models. That's what they're for.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, I wish they would buy V6's and leave the V8's to us, but the reality of it is there are way more people out there that want stock V8's that get the best possible MPG than there are hp addicted people like us that aren't worried about MPG. I also wish the G8 had a DOD less 6.0L so an M6 could be offered. But most people that want an M6 also want the most power, hence the LS3 GTX version this fall.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 10hopeful
man up and get a stick shift

X2
Old 07-21-2008, 11:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,697 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1

are you a spoiled little rich boy that always gets exactly what he wants or what?
I would ask if you're an ignorant *******, but there's no need. You've already answered that.

As for your question, no; I'm not rich nor a boy. However, I'm in the market for another car and would have bought an LS3/A6 Camaro had GM provided one. Since they opted not to, they've lost a sale. Simple as that.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 10hopeful
man up and get a stick shift
A real man isn't influenced by other's as to what he should like or buy. If you buy a stick soley because it makes you "feel" like more of a man, then you've got issues.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

In the end, my real issue is with the fact that GM isn't using the same engine in both the A6 and M6 cars. If the M6s also received an L99 engine I wouldn't be exactly happy either, but not nearly as pissed. The fact that us auto guys are getting screwed out of the good motor is what really burns.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by HPT BANDIT
Hate to break it to you but thats the way computer controlled cars are. Go buy your C6 A6 but your still going to have deal with torque management. If you buy a M6 you have to deal with skip shift and TM. GM knows your going to beat on it so they built in some protection.
Not the same.

Skip shift, TM, etc. All are merely in the PCM. L99 vs LS3 are not the exact same engine internally (unlike an M6 LS1 vs an A4 LS1), nor do they come with the same power stock.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
A real man isn't influenced by other's as to what he should like or buy. If you buy a stick soley because it makes you "feel" like more of a man, then you've got issues.
Manhood is determined by what kind of transmission you have. Doesn't matter if a stalled auto rapes you when the light turns green lol.