Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Z28 Confirmed Canceled by GM

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0000000000
I can agree the GT500 KR is complete BS. Also, I seem to remember the camaro stopped eating stangs in 2003 when it was buried by the overpowering stang sales & you loyalists were left in the dark! Moreover, the COBRA was introduced & GM had no camaro to answer. As far as .25 times, the specs are released. The SS runs mid 13's & the GT's run high 13's..........I would hardly call that "beat to ****", more like slight. For the sake of your allegience to the camaro, pray the 5.0 400HP doesnt make its way into the GT lineup. Who compares a vette to a stang? This is the 2010 Camaro section & the word vette is irrelevant. Let me break it down for you. I will admit, the vette is untouchable as its in a league of its own (cost & performance). By this GM > Ford NOT Camaro > Stang. BTW, I consider the GTR as rice, so I am glad it fell to the Vette.
When you're kicking Mustang's tail that many years in a row, you need a break. The Cobra was introduced long before '03. You must not remember the beatings it took from the LT1s and LS1s in '99 & '01. COBRA=SUPRA, high HP numbers and slow ET numbers. Apparently plenty of people compare the two when you look at a 500hp Mustang that can't get out the mid 12s vs a similarly priced 500hp Vette thats 11s all day. Ford chose to make a car to compete against the Vette whether you choose to accept that or not. Camaro's targets were always the Mustang GT as they were in the same class. GM let Vette take care of the higher-end models as Ford really doesn't have anything else and GM had Camaro, Firebird & Corvette. If Ford does use that engine, then maybe it'll run the times that the F-Bodies were running 10 years ago. Also, maybe then I can see a close race between a NA F-Body and a NA Mustang. Only close runs I've seen are NA F-Bodies and SCd Stangs
Old 07-25-2008, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2k05gt
Dude why trash the Camaro, as far as weight the GT500 is a turd, with 500 ponies it should be in the 11's yet they are all over the place from 12.3 - 12.8. I think the SS is in direct compatition to the Challenger not the current Mustang, because the Current GT is lacking 122hp, 21st century technology platform, and it will be at least 5/10ths slower than the Camaro.

the Challenger SRT6 is starting at 38K and it's limited production, the Camaro SS will be the Top dog the First year and three times as many SS will be built over the SRT8.. the SS may be around 34K but what it has over the Mustang is well worth it.

Don't get me wrong I love my Mustang, and I will never get rid of it, but I also am loving the Camaro, for different reasons, some of what the Mustang is Missing, Power, Handling and Modability. those options are worth the added cost.

The LS3 with Cams, Intake Tune will see and extra 100hp you can't do that with a Mustang N/A, the engine is too small and it's OHC so without major work, heads, pistons you can't put 100hp cams in. the most you can see with stage 3 cams and springs is 30hp
OWNED! ******* owned.

We get it 0000000 or whatever...you dont like the new Camaro...no matter how illogical your reasons why. Quit trying to force your views over the forum as a whole as though you were a supreme judge of cars.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

Regarding performance, a stock 4th gen will hang with the new SS.....somethings not right there.
Your just angry that a brand new GT still cant hang with a 6 year old F-body.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nhraracer
Your just angry that a brand new GT still cant hang with a 6 year old F-body.
His issues have nothing to do with the car he drives.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Default My .02...

Y the fuchk can't ANYBODY build a 31-3300 lb SPORTSCAR WITH A BACK SEAT???

If this battleship of a 'camaro weighed in around the 3klb. mark...

1. You could use a smaller (more fuel efficient) motor... A turbo v-6 perhaps???
AND ACHIEVE the same performance (100lbs.=1/10th)

LOSE THE FATSO...... Look at the gas pump prices and build us something light AND fast, MAKE THE NEW Cobalt SS TURBO SEDAN RWD, REAR FRIKKIN' WHEEL DRIVE aka... FUN!!!

HEY GM... You hear this (POP!) That's what your heads would sound like should they EVER come out of your asses! (Or each others... whatever)

GAS IS $4+ a gallon!!!! DOH! The big engines and the bIIIIIg Camaro, (Challenger too...) MISSED THE GAME!

Sorry boys and I hate to say this but the MUSTANG IS in the game and showed up early to rake in moocho profito... Same as always... The v6 is a 'lil ripper FOR CHEAP!

I'm NOT a Ford guy and I'm NOT brand loyal but (GM LISTEN UP...) The definition of Insanity IS to repeat the same thing over and over expecting a different result..... KIN' U SAY GEE TEEE OHHH???

Only this time the fatal flaw is NOT the look but the economic swing with HIGH fuel prices and dismal mpg#s (I know they're great w/the manual for how... here we go again... BIIIIIIGGGG the car is...) How's the auto GTO's mpg? AH hahahahahaha.... What a Joke...

Maybe GM should.... just rebadge us some BMW 1 series cars with a bowtie and knock 10k off the sticker!!!!

I know... I should work in marketing for GM lol.

GM.... ANYBODY?????

GIVE US A 2700lb. REAR WHEEL DRIVE CAR WITH 200 hp n/a and 325 forced induction THAT GETS MID 20's city and 33 or so HIGHWAY!

Make it a 2 dr, a 4 dr AND A 'vert for the cali girls and rental fleets...

Make it like the old days with an option sheet to choose rearend gearing and hp levels... (I've always thought the whole LS1 bs w/ 3 rearend ratios depending on chosen trans and tires was BULLSHIT.)

Ok.. steppin' down from my soapbox NOW.

Thanks for reading my long rant!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They've been working up a surprise for the past 5 fu*king years. How many times has the release date been changed, like 3 times? I'm getting sick of them changing EVERYTHING. I read something a few years ago that there'd be an RS, Z28, SS, AND ZL1.

Last edited by 98 WS6; 07-26-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nickate

If this battleship of a 'camaro weighed in around the 3klb. mark...

1. You could use a smaller (more fuel efficient) motor... A turbo v-6 perhaps???
Now that i've read that GIGANTIC POST.. The RS model of the new Camaro will be a V6 with 310HP, as stated at a GM PRESS RELEASE, so its not bullshit. I saw the video with the car sitting there.. It will get 27/28MPG Highway.

Bye bye mustang! Only reason the mustang is "winning" is because it came out first while every other muscle car was either "dead" or being turned into a 4-door (wtf?). Therefore if someone wanted a new muscle car, its the mustang. GM was just sitting on their asses (shock?) doing whatever it is they're doing. I really don't think I care much anymore, lol , I got my 430HP T/A and i'm fine
Old 07-26-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

WTF? When did the V6 model go up to 310 hp? First it was announced at 296. Then a few days later it was 300. Now its 310??? Guess by the end of next month the V6 will be keeping up with the SS.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
BTW........000000000........why are you still hanging out in this section? Do you have ANY interest in the new Camaro? Or are you here just to see how many spit ***** you can make stick before they ban you? If you have useful insights, fine. But if all you're gonna do is make flamer statements to wrile up the locals, just go hang out in an Off Topic section somewhere. Seriously man, chill.
Its interesting to see the responses. For the most part, they are one sided.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

OMG...you keep amazing me with your grace post after post.

One sided? first of all this is ls1 tech. second, your posts arent exactly 3 dimensional.

It is interesting to see the responses? Dont you have anything better to do than go on an f-body site and post negative things in order to get your jolly's off at the reactions?

Dude, you seriously need to get a life.

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 07-26-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
OMG...you keep amazing me with your grace post after post.

One sided? first of all this is ls1 tech. second, your posts arent exactly 3 dimensional.

It is interesting to see the responses? Dont you have anything better to do than go on an f-body site and post negative things in order to get your jolly's off at the reactions?

Dude, you seriously need to get a life.
This guy is stirring the pot....

HE NEEDS TO! SOMEBODY NEEDS TO!!!!

To the guy with the 400hp.+ Firebird...

I DON'T CARE IF IT HAS 650 rwhp... It's still an OLD outdated solid axle cheap-*** interior 0 (ZERO) ergonomics (my wife can't get away from the steering wheel and still push the clutch to the floor) or see out the windows and she's not a gangsta'.

The old F-bod was a cheap-*** punk-*** hot rod (WHICH IT HAS DONE INCREDIBLY WELL AT BEING SUCCESSFUL!!!!) and the new car is to evolve into a more sophisticated unit...

(Kinda like the Mitsu EVO has diluted itself.)

GM Listen up...

GIMME A NEW CHEAP-*** ----LIGHT--- PUNK-*** HOTROD!!!

I love my old one!!!!! (I only got about 400rwhp though but I got bald tires so it feels like MORE!)
Old 07-26-2008, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I DON'T CARE IF IT HAS 650 rwhp... It's still an OLD outdated solid axle cheap-*** interior 0 (ZERO) ergonomics (my wife can't get away from the steering wheel and still push the clutch to the floor) or see out the windows and she's not a gangsta'.
I didn't know that anyone made a true manual transmission with a true clutch that didn't need a clutch pedal depressed to operate it. Maybe you could tell me who does? Or does your wife just not like standards. You act like the 4th gens are outdated because the manual transmission still requires someone to use their left foot. The 4th gens were available with an automatic as well.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The backseat would be small/useless in this case because of the overall size of the car.

Wrong, a turbo 6 would weight more than the LS3, and not get any better gas mileage.

LOSE THE FATSO...... Look at the gas pump prices and build us something light AND fast, MAKE THE NEW Cobalt SS TURBO SEDAN RWD, REAR FRIKKIN' WHEEL DRIVE aka... FUN!!!
Totally agree.

GAS IS $4+ a gallon!!!! DOH! The big engines and the bIIIIIg Camaro, (Challenger too...) MISSED THE GAME!
"big" engines don't means bad gas mileage, big weight does.

Sorry boys and I hate to say this but the MUSTANG IS in the game and showed up early to rake in moocho profito... Same as always... The v6 is a 'lil ripper FOR CHEAP!
The V6 Mustang??? The only thing that rips is is your pocket book when that POS breaks.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

This is America, it's all about being FAT and telling everyone else that there's something wrong with them for being fixated on skinny
Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wicknewman
I didn't know that anyone made a true manual transmission with a true clutch that didn't need a clutch pedal depressed to operate it. Maybe you could tell me who does? Or does your wife just not like standards. You act like the 4th gens are outdated because the manual transmission still requires someone to use their left foot. The 4th gens were available with an automatic as well.

Sorry.. You missed my point... Her legs are too short to push it all the way in without eating the steering wheel (unlike the stang).... THE CAR WASN'T designed for everyone... And she owns a ZX-6 so working a clutch isn't a problem...

Also...

Quote:

Wrong, a turbo 6 would weight more than the LS3, and not get any better gas mileage.

If it were an LS3 MINUS TWO CYLINDERS??????

I think WRONG is too strong a word when we're all speculating and talking out our asses. GM won't accept input from the buyers!!!

Last edited by nickate; 07-26-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mean Green z28
This is America, it's all about being FAT and telling everyone else that there's something wrong with them for being fixated on skinny

LOL... CAN I GET AN "AMEN" ON THAT????
Old 07-26-2008, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

the only question I have is why this thread isn't locked yet. these stupid Z28 is dead threads were old 10 threads ago.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they better come out with a nice higher output Z28 version within 1-2 years otherwise there is NO WAY i'll trade in my C5 on the 5th Gen. NO WAY
Old 07-26-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

FWIW Guys, GM also said there would be no new Camaro, and look where we are today...
Old 07-26-2008, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If it were an LS3 MINUS TWO CYLINDERS??????

I think WRONG is too strong a word when we're all speculating and talking out our asses. GM won't accept input from the buyers!!!
So you lop off 2 cylinders and add a turbo, intercooler and all necessary piping, guess what, there is no weight savings. Look at the the RX7 guys who swap out their tiny twin turbo rotary for an LS1, there is very little weight difference. Plus, a smaller motor is gonna have to work harder, turbo'd or not, than the same car w/a more powerful (or comparably powered turbo V6) V8. And as far as mileage goes, the released figures were estimates from GM and not the numbers that'll end up on window stickers or what you'll see on the road.

Quick Reply: Z28 Confirmed Canceled by GM