Gen 6 Camaro 2016+ Forum The forum for discussion of the 6th Gen 2016+ Camaro

Thinkin of getting a new Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 440_Stroker
Are LS engine really that much cheaper? My LS heads were over $5k.
Holy snikies! You must have like the baddest LS7 based heads rocking some really nice hardware or something? Lol

Yeah, much on the GEN6 cars is more expensive to mod than on a GEN4 for sure. In fact when I first bought my car and joined a GEN6 forum (before getting a permaban) I made a thread asking if these cars come with a Vette tax. Some of it is because the GEN6 OEM parts are higher quality and to improve on them cost more money than on GEN4 such as the exhaust pieces. Modern OEM exhausts on most newer cars are just better than what they were 20 years ago I guess. Air intakes are another example of being really expensive on GEN6. But yeah things like TB's, intake manifold, headers, STS, etc seem to be noticeably more expensive for a GEN6 from what I've seen.

Some things on GEN6 you don't necessarily have to upgrade though. If you're modding the car you're going to want to upgrade many components sooner on a GEN4 as you will find the next weakest link sooner. Clutch, rearend, suspension/chassis/brake components, oil pump, etc will need to be upgraded sooner on a GEN4. With a GEN5 LT engine the fuel system pieces are noticeably more expensive. You will also want to delete the AFM if you're going to start seriously modding the engine. Cam swaps in a new LT is more involving than with a LS.

Also I think modding modern cars isn't as popular as it used to be, and GEN5 LT is certainly not as popular as LS especially when talking putting them into car and other things that they didn't come from the factory in so they likely have to makeup the development costs somewhere. It seems to me that nowadays people just want to do a few boltons and add a blower as that results in a very fast car, so I guess why not? Lol

Another thing, upgrading the audio system in these newer cars (not just GM) seems to be an expensive PITA in most cases.

Last edited by JROC; 01-18-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

To your point of the heads, yes, they are MMS 265's with the offered upgrades. Tony does fantastic work. I also have his Atomic intake and he spec'd my short block as well.

​​​​​The 6th gen is really a great car and doesn't get the credit it truly deserves from people, more especially gear heads of yesterday. I'm not suck in the old days of carbs or LS engines. If it's fast I like it!

Quick Reply: Thinkin of getting a new Camaro