General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pros and Cons to owning a Vette over an F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both ls1s just corvette being lighter and not having a drive shaft so they dyno a little higher.. But really come down to what's better for you. As long as you have a ls base motor your good lol
Old 04-18-2010, 01:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had full suspension done with my 98 ss and it dont even compare with my 99 vette with z51 option. And vette insurance is cheaper. I will probaly be the only one to say this but I am selling my vette to get back into a SS. Why Im just a fbody guy at heart.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Is a C5 really that much better of a build quality than an F-Body? I don't ride in them very often, but I wonder if a 100,000-mile C5 has many of the same little quirks as my Camaro: squeaks, rattles, poor window motors, etc.?
Yes it is a much better car in terms of build quality but anything ragged on will have rattles and anything GM will have issues with window motors at some point in its life.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mines almost to 100k and it's rattle free. The only thing that makes noise is the hatch latches dry out and need greasing. Otherwise mine is quiet inside. Well as quiet as a car with my exhaust sound(LOUD!) can be haha. I haven't had an issue with window motors but mine go up and down fast as any of the C5's that were newer that i've been in. C5's have their things too though. They tend to have grounding issues with body grounds, HVAC screen goes out(easy fix though and free) and little things. No car is perfect...
Old 04-18-2010, 09:26 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Old thread, but a timeless debate. Sorry jrob, but I disagree with your analysis. See below.

Originally Posted by jrob56
build quality-vette
straightline-vette NO
curves-vette
cool factor-vette NO
appearance-vette
lower cost-fbody
lower insurance-vette
lower cost to mod-fbody
seating capacity-fbody
ease to work on-vette NO
Straightline: It's much easier to make an F-body 60' at the drag strip than a car with IRS like a Corvette.

Cool factor: yes, there is a funny stereotype of toothless, mullet wearing, trailer-living F-body drivers, but we all know it is a very tiny percentage and the really clean, nicely modded F-body drivers really don't fit this. On the other hand there are many negative, and pervasive stereotypes about Corvette owners. I am a former Corvette owner myself and when I see Corvette jockeys at car shows I assume they are arrogent ****** who can't even change a spark plug by themselves, yet somehow consider themselves "better" because they have a Corvette. Why do I assume that? Because too many of them actually are. If I am out in one of my Camaros and I see a Corvette, it's like my radar reports "enemy spotted" and I wonder if there will be a chance to put this guy in his place. It has happened 3 times where a random C5 guy tried to start something and got his feelings hurt by my supercharger.

Ease to work on: are you kidding? You have never had to replace a clutch on a C5 or do any drivetrain work on one.

This is all coming from a member who is older than average here, has owned a Corvette in the past, and could financially swing owning another at any time... but chooses not to. I really do not like the image of Corvette owners and don't want to be part of their "club". Now, I know that most LS1tech members that own a Corvette fall into that cool minority. Most members here have owned an F-body before their Corvette and they have an appreciation for them. They also know how to turn a wrench and are not just "waxer-polishers" as Nineball would say.

Will I ever own a Corvette again? Never say never. I like the cars themselves, just not most of the drivers. The C6 Z06 is a work of art and prices on nice used ones are getting cheaper everyday.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TWS
Old thread, but a timeless debate. Sorry jrob, but I disagree with your analysis. See below.

Straightline: It's much easier to make an F-body 60' at the drag strip than a car with IRS like a Corvette.

Cool factor: yes, there is a funny stereotype of toothless, mullet wearing, trailer-living F-body drivers, but we all know it is a very tiny percentage and the really clean, nicely modded F-body drivers really don't fit this. On the other hand there are many negative, and pervasive stereotypes about Corvette owners. I am a former Corvette owner myself and when I see Corvette jockeys at car shows I assume they are arrogent ****** who can't even change a spark plug by themselves, yet somehow consider themselves "better" because they have a Corvette. Why do I assume that? Because too many of them actually are. If I am out in one of my Camaros and I see a Corvette, it's like my radar reports "enemy spotted" and I wonder if there will be a chance to put this guy in his place. It has happened 3 times where a random C5 guy tried to start something and got his feelings hurt by my supercharger.

Ease to work on: are you kidding? You have never had to replace a clutch on a C5 or do any drivetrain work on one.

This is all coming from a member who is older than average here, has owned a Corvette in the past, and could financially swing owning another at any time... but chooses not to. I really do not like the image of Corvette owners and don't want to be part of their "club". Now, I know that most LS1tech members that own a Corvette fall into that cool minority. Most members here have owned an F-body before their Corvette and they have an appreciation for them. They also know how to turn a wrench and are not just "waxer-polishers" as Nineball would say.

Will I ever own a Corvette again? Never say never. I like the cars themselves, just not most of the drivers. The C6 Z06 is a work of art and prices on nice used ones are getting cheaper everyday.
I agree
Old 04-18-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TWS

Good points, I think I was talking more out of the box when I posted that. Most corvettes are gonna run a faster time stock unless the driver sucks. You got a point with the IRS though.

As for the working on, I have never worked on the drivetrain but there is a hell of alot more room in the engine bay. No cutting your arms on that stupid cowl hood. Other then that I have no exp really on a vette so I wont contest the point.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:23 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrob56
As for the working on, I have never worked on the drivetrain but there is a hell of alot more room in the engine bay. No cutting your arms on that stupid cowl hood.
Very true. I got tired of my arms looking like I'd been attacked by a pack of rabid cats, so I usually pop the weather stripping out and lay it up by the wipers so that the little pointy prongs don't eat my arms up.

Even then the old school guys laugh at me when I'm working in what passes for an engine bay in a 4th gen F-body. You learn to do a few things just by feel. You have the option of looking at the part you want to install or remove, or getting your hands/wrench on it, but not both.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like my Trans Am because of the t-tops and rear seats. Plus most Corvette owners are straight up **** and creepers. That doesn't apply to any of you guys, I think. It's usually the older guys with older vettes. The older Mustang guys are **** too unless you have a Mustang.

The C6 Z06's are sweet and I want to pick one up soon.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

i did my engine build on my Vette along with almost everything else. Only thing i won't do is my clutch just because it is a nightmare on these cars.it can be done in the garage with jackstands and a weekend but i don't want to do it. Changing plugs on a C5 takes about 10 minutes if you have everything ready to go(plugs and stuff) There are alot of Vette guys that are ******. i myself enjoy beating on them a little when they think mine is stock, which isn't for long There is a young guy with a 5th Gen SS(orange) that i'm looking forward to putting in his place. He rolls around revving at people thinking he's all badass. Also a kid with an LS2 GTO that i'm looking forward to as well. I looked at it when it was at the local Subaru dealer and it was stock so i'm not to worried
Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Both ls1s just corvette being lighter and not having a drive shaft so they dyno a little higher..
Actually the Corvettes have MORE drivetrain loss due to the transaxle/IRS/larger wheels and tires set-up versus the solid-rear in the F-bodys.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went through this same problem before I bought my Z28. I was dead set on buying a C6, but decided that the cost to buy and insure even a high mileage 05 wasn't appropriate for me, considering that I'm 19 and live with my parents. I considered a C5 but after sitting in one, I found the interior to be of lower quality than a 4th gen F-body, and honestly I'm not all that wild about the styling of the C5... it doesn't look as aggressive as the F-bodies, and compared to the C6 it looks dated. Not that the C5 isn't a great car, but there is a good case to make that it's not for everyone.

After test driving an 00 SS I found that it had everything I wanted... the sound, the power, the sporty driving position, t-tops... and all of that at about half the price of a C5. Plus, because my 02 Z28 is in good condition, low mileage, and not heavily modded, it's fairly rare and could hold its value very well over the years.

If I had bought a Vette I couldn't afford to mod it, and that's half the fun. I wouldn't be able to drive it to parties, or park it in the city, because people will key it, slash the tires, whatever.

If you're young, you have to consider how people will look at you if you show up to work or school in a Vette. Some people just don't "get" why you would want to own a Vette when you're young, but everyone seems to "get" owning a Z28 or a TA. Think of all the times someone has asked you what you drive... now imagine their disbelief when you say "a Corvette."

My advise would be to drive both an F-body and a C5, and decide whether or not the Vette is worth the extra cash. If I had the money I'd buy a C6, but I'd like to keep my Z28 at the same time.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol try a cam swap on a corvette and see if its easier than a f body cam swap..lol F bodys get down and dirty better for street racing and at the track corvette is a panny dropper and better for road racing and roll racing. I dont know about the same mods to a f body and a corvette the f body dynoing higher. a tuner told me he gets more power out of the vettes than a fbody (San Antonio Leathal Performance Sean #1 tuner)

Last edited by Theblacknightls1; 04-20-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ ok now you guys have got to be drinking One just said the C5's interior was worse than a 4th Gen Fbody. You must have been high. I've owned both in fact i had an early and a late 4th Gen and they had TERRIBLE interiors. As for the cam installing. I've never installed a cam in a 4th Gen but i do remember doing any other kinda work in them and they SUCKED. i could do a cam install in the Vette in maybe 5 hours. Hardest part is getting the power steering bracket out and then it's all downhill. Pull the radiator(less than 10 minutes) and you can stand in the engine bay at the front. I'm not a small guy either so this is a miracle in itself. The flywheel back is where the Vette's become harder to work on and that's it. I'm a Gm sport/muscle car fan to the bone but having owned or been in all kinds of 4th Gens and Vettes i can tell you the Vette is the better car hands down overall.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol a vette is a vette.. As far as it being easier to work on it not. The f body is easier to work on. Me and my brother are going to instal another cam on his frc 00 corvette and did a 224r cam instal now going with a 228/230 stage 3 trick flow cam only reason doing cam is because he has a bad oil pump and friend lending us a lift. car is hard to jack up. We did my heads on a weekend and he did by himself my friends ta heads, cam, headers, crank pully, drop springs in a week geting off work at 200 pm and working on the car. I call him ls1tech because he knows everything about ls1s up and down and he has own f bodys from lt1s to ls1s (has a 2002 ss and a frc corvette). He will say it himself a vette is harder to modd. Yes doing plugs are easier on a vette but doing clutch and tranny work or even cam swap is harder. If i knew how to upload pic without telling invalid image can upload pic of our famliy owning vettes and f body and work to all of our cars. This is my first ls1 but not my first fbody i had 2 fucked up lt1s and hate them. But the lt1s are the first car i worked on..(lol maybe thats why fucked up lol) The ls1 is easy to work on little issues with smashing ls6 intake on knock sensors wire harness lol or last head bolt wont go in because of the fire wall. But runs like a champ has a street tune on it now so running a little rich but beat a pullied termi and a srt4 on 20 pounds of boost (50trim) and on meth. So the build came out good
Old 04-20-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think vette is a better car to cruise and highway race on smoth roads. lol daily driver hell no my ss is a way better daily driver lol I didnt know my brother speaks french coming up my moms driveway he always scrapes and still goes up it @ .001 mph lol. So both have thier issues but would i trade in a SS camaro for a vette lol In a split second if i could get one. My wife would kill my *** if i come home in a 2 seater lol.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

I had a 'Vette while in school, it was my first car, '81 w/ built 350. I sold it to get a nice new truck since that was the cool thing to have then but after I graduated I was wanting another one but after spending alot of time shopping around and talking to the guys at Vengeance Racing who specialize in nothing but LSx cars and riding in some of their 'Vettes and Camaros I just fell in love with the F-Body! I finally found my SS a few months ago after looking for one that I thought was perfect for almost a year and I'll honestly say if I had to do it over I'd do the same thing again. I mean 'Vettes are nice don't get me wrong but I LOVE dropping money into my car so it's just really fun to see the guy about my age who spent the extra for the C5 get smoked by me or one of my friends F-Bodies because he can't drive and doesn't know just how much time and money we've spent under our hoods!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Well Im going for the vette, C5 Z06 or C6. I have had 3 3rd gen F-bodies, a 94 LT1 Z and my current 98 LS1 Z. I've modded them, raced them etc, etc. For me its just time to step up, the Vette just brings more to the table.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

I'd say Vette hands down. As much as I respect F-bodies the Corvette has always been more appealing to me. Styling, Performance, Resale are some of the things that stood out with the Corvette. F-bodies are cheap fun but not as much attention to detail and have a lower fun factor imho.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Out of the box all around performance I guess goes to a Vette if you never want to touch anyhting and just run it. Personally I like the T-tops over glass roofs. I am 6'6" 300 pounds, I had the choice of a Vette when I got my F-body. I wanted a 6 spd and driving a 6 speed Vette gave me headaches. Also with a kid the back seat is handy for rides around town in a booster seat, since I don't trust putting a kid in a front bucket seat. Even if it is only a few times a year becuase the kid likes the sound of the exhaust, it is still a factor. I come from a family with a cammed LT4 Vette (6-spd) and a stock 06 Vette(Auto) and for me I like my 99 SS better. My mom likes her Vette better because she does't have to dick with it and just get in and go and use the blue tooth and navi and etc. I probally will not save money with a F-body by the time I put all the mods on it, but I won't get *** raped if I break something either. Depends on the person I guess. Acutally I would rank it my Camaro, the LT4, The G8 then the O6 Vette in all honesty.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons to owning a Vette over an F-Body