General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pros and Cons to owning a Vette over an F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brothers 02 z28 had squeeks from the chassis and body from side steppin the clutch with slicks all the damn time. vettes chassis will squeek from entering and exiting steep intrances and driveways or from being put on those 4 point lift commonly seen at tire shops. ALWAYS use the drive on lifts like used for alignment.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You should get a Vette!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
^^^fixed^^^^

I have hear people claim that but same driver Z06 wins everytime. 315's all around and R-compound will help even things out but R-compound on a on a Z06 and back to the Z advantage. I have 275's all around BTW. People rarely mention how much better the Z06 brakes are either.

Overall I can see a really good f-body full suspension car hanging close to a C5 but no way to a C6. There are also all kinds of supension upgrades for Vettes too don't forget. Apples and oranges IMHO

Oh, and I love my T/A
Agreed - c6 zo6 (or just a c6) is better in the turns; but I always think it is cool watching a f-body rip down the track over taking some high dollar euro cars. Funny watching a 6 year old car that is not made anymore spank some high dollar rides.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If you are getting squeeks and rattles from going over bumps this is an easy fix: better shocks. My car as it sits right now, lowered even, doesn't have any rattles thanks to the shocks not letting them get to the cabin in the first place.
brand new shocks its not the shocks fault i have 60k too mint interior its the interior mostly that has rattles and squeeks here and there
Old 10-24-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JustWannaGoFast95
brand new shocks its not the shocks fault i have 60k too mint interior its the interior mostly that has rattles and squeeks here and there
He said better, not newer. New stock shocks still suck. He has Konis, which make these cars entirely different, and better in every way. Don't believe me? Man up for some good shocks - call Strano - and prepare to be amazed.

This is a function of two things:
1. Do you need the back seat?
2. Can your wallet handle the fact that everything will be higher?

If your answers are no and yes, in that order, nab the vette.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JustWannaGoFast95
Same here, 59,xxx miles, mint interior,but no rattles. All the interior rattles went away after installing the konis. The stock shocks, new or old, let/cause rattles to happen. They have too much compression resulting in the 'slamming' when hitting bumps. They just have too little control over the springs, and ride/handling suffers because of this. Trust us, I even had the "better" decarbon shocks because I have a WS6, they still suck.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Launching!

from a cost of ownership perspective, id say f-body...theres a 98ta with 55k for 8gs on ebay right now. Plenty of mods you can do with that extra 10 grand. hood, exhaust, rims, suspension, blower, heads cam tune and still have money! Hell my car and mods havent run me $12k as of right now...

Insurance will be more in an f-body than a vette though....

I got my Ta because its unique where i am, everyone gets brand new or couple of year old toys, and then dump them. Im rockin a 10 year old car that still keeps up with a new Challenger. And theres only a handfull out here, everyone and their mother has a vette, stang or CTS-v. I know of 10 4th gen f-bodys on the Island...

No unknow rattles. new push pins everywhere and zip ties make sure of that!

Its whatever your heart desires. And FYI i sold my vette for my TA. :-)
Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both and i truly love my vette. The vette is alot more comfortable,its a corvette,parts are more expensive but the insurance is cheaper. All in all its more of what you prefer. I don't like to drive my c5 everyday just because its nic and clean and i don't want the dents scratches etc.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have an 02 vette along with my recent purchase of an 01 ws6. this is what i can tell you. The trans am is the economical equivalent to the corvette. The vette is more expensive to insure..800 compared to the 500 for the t/a. The vette is more expensive to mod in some areas. I always use 91 in the vette, where as you can get away with using 89 in the t/a. On the other hand the corvette is a much higher quality car, with much better handling and performance. Two different cars with the same heart.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LWCS561
i have an 02 vette along with my recent purchase of an 01 ws6. this is what i can tell you. The trans am is the economical equivalent to the corvette. The vette is more expensive to insure..800 compared to the 500 for the t/a. The vette is more expensive to mod in some areas. I always use 91 in the vette, where as you can get away with using 89 in the t/a. On the other hand the corvette is a much higher quality car, with much better handling and performance. Two different cars with the same heart.
FYI, the Corvette and Fbodies share the exact same LS1, neither are 'supposed' to be run on anything lower than 91 premium, but both 'can' be run on it.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea I know, but the trans am/camaros also have a de tuned version. they can be run on less than 91 but not all the time. ive only done it a few times cuz of not having enough on me
Old 10-24-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea I know, but the trans am/camaros also have a de tuned version. they can be run on less than 91 but not all the time. ive only done it a few times cuz of not having enough on me
No they don't, they are exactly the same engine. Gm rates them differently for marketing.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....8&postcount=10
Old 10-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Same engines bud, GM rated the LS1 Z28s/Trans Ams at 305 crank hp, when really its between 280-310whp depending whether or not you have auto or manual. The reason why they did this was because they obviously wanted people to buy the corvettes and didn't want the consumer to know that they could get the same engine in a car for about 20k less.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got into f-bodies specifically because of the attitudes of some vette guys I met when I was a kid. I know most are cool, but there are just too many that live up to the midlife crisis, trailer queen, uninformed jackass stereotype. They are amazing performance vehicles, but I woudl much rather stick to my mullets and beer crowd than some non-driving snob crowd.

-Tim
Old 10-25-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can afford the vette go for it, it is a better car stock, and modded it will be a beast. Don't sweat the vette haters.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
I got into f-bodies specifically because of the attitudes of some vette guys I met when I was a kid. I know most are cool, but there are just too many that live up to the midlife crisis, trailer queen, uninformed jackass stereotype. They are amazing performance vehicles, but I woudl much rather stick to my mullets and beer crowd than some non-driving snob crowd.

-Tim
That's partly why I still hang out with all my mustang friends even though I never drive the cobra anymore. The only vette guys I've met so far are old guys in leather corvette jackets.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I was looking at getting a '02 Z06, cause I wanted a M6 sports car, and I was interested in the Vette. Then I would have a nice driver, and the Camaro would be more of the Race Car.

Like mentioned, it's all about what you want, me I like to take stuff apart and tinker with it, and I started thinking about it, and about how much time I have put into my Camaro to make it the way it is. That and a guy I know has a C5, and he said it was the biggest pain in the *** to do anything to, expecially tuning, cause you have to go through 3 different computers on board I guess.

So I decided to spend the $3700 after the 4LshittyE gave up to put a T56 in the Camaro, and I'll be happy with my M6 Car. Less money spent than getting another car, expecially a Vette, and nothing else changes.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Launching!

I bought my 02 WS6 3 years ago. I could have bout a Vette if i wanted to but personally I have always wanted a WS6. I like the Vette, I mean it is a "sexy" car but around where I live it seems like all you see is Corvette's. I wanted something different and plus I love the pissed off look of the WS6 with those hood scoops. Now that I have the 11" rims on the back and a cam/headers, it sounds just as pissed off as it looks. And like alot of others said, I like when people see my car and think its brand new, then to see the look on their face when I say nope, its 6 years old. When I roll thru town, the way my car sounds and looks turns a lot of heads and its not something you see everyday around here. But get what you like and makes you happy.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSPDER

-Tim

I like your attitude
Old 10-28-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm a big vette fan and i really love the look of a c5 z06. Although there are a lot of positives to a c5 vette over the 4th gen f-body, I wouldn't buy one. I know it sounds really dumb, but i have never seen a younger person driving a vette and at 23 i really just don't want that image. I really don't care what people think in the end, but i still just don't want the image a vette creates. Too much attention, i don't like the wrong attention brought to me. I don't want some money grubber to hit on me cuz of a car or even get that kind of attention...sounds real dumb, i know, i'm not ready for a vette.

Not saying i'll never get one but i just see the f-body is more of "my kind of car".

Besides, I still want a Trans Am, so when i find the right one, i'll have both f-bodies.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons to owning a Vette over an F-Body