General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pros and Cons to owning a Vette over an F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Apoxi
I'm 19 and I would keep my camaro over a vette at this point in my life. A camaro is a stupid, fun, visceral car and the vette is a refined old mans sports car imo.... For being 19, i want the stupid car.
Unless you get a H/C vette like I did. It shakes, it's loud, it's stupid fast. I don't think there are many people who would consider my vette an old mans vette lol. (I'm 20 too btw).
Old 10-20-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

I'm 19 and I would keep my camaro over a vette at this point in my life. A camaro is a stupid, fun, visceral car and the vette is a refined old mans sports car imo.... For being 19, i want the stupid car.
i feel the same way as you man.. im thinkin about droppin the price of a new vette into my old camaro...why just because i want a crude,nasty,fast car..

i agree with the people saying its really w/e ur aspirations are...

no doubt the vette is a better car.. but some people want diff things
Old 10-20-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vette is a better car, but for those who don't mind spending the money. Plus you get to participate in the Vette wave for the additional cost ...LOL.

And I beg to differ my H/C/N20 C5 is a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde....it can be downright nasty when it wants to!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To tell you the truth i love my car but it has been a pain in the *** ever since i got it a year and a half ago. If i sold my car i would prolly never go back to a camaro but i would love to have a c6.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:33 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt buy another ls1 car unless it came from this site there are so many good deals on here it hurts to see them knowing what i paid for mine before i knew about this site so best advise is buy one on here buy a plane ticket to get it and drive it back
Old 10-20-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

You've never driven a vette.. have you!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you should check out this ad close to me:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=101

Am I missing something???
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Maybe you should check out this ad close to me:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=101

Am I missing something???

Scam
Old 10-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Teching In

has to be a misprint
Old 10-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Restricted User

i have both and the vette is a way better car. and the insurance is cheaper than an f-body if you can afford it get the vette it's way easier to work on too. and parts if you are willing to hunt for deals you can get them. i have less into my full bolt on car than most f-body guys do and i have the best of the best stuff all brand new.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackTTC6
You've never driven a vette.. have you!
C4-C6, yes, I have.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, I didn't realize until right now that the majority of f-body owners bought an f-body cause they couldn't afford a Corvette. Even though I think owning a 2001 and up corvette, especially Z06, would be bad ***, I bought my 2000 WS.6 cause my dad had a 1979 trans am when he was my age and I'm following in a tradition. I also like the story behind the trans am, and its history throughout the past years as well as the fourth gen f-body looking very unique. I do dislike that GM decided to give the f-bodies all the cheap parts that give out a lot sooner than a vette's. I suppose if I could take just the body off a 2001 Z06 and put a 98' and up WS6 body on it that would be the ultimate T/A, although its the wackiest thing I've ever heard of LOL.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by crapyboy750
To tell you the truth i love my car but it has been a pain in the *** ever since i got it a year and a half ago. If i sold my car i would prolly never go back to a camaro but i would love to have a c6.
What sort of problems have you had with it?

I am looking to buy b/w a 99-01 SS, so that's why I am asking.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by som1sc
has to be a misprint
Nope. See the post above you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=290257558687
Old 10-20-2008, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Yes, Vettes will be cheaper for insurance because generally they are not involved in wrecks. As far as maintaining them..you shouldn't have to do much at all, since they ARE so solid.

A lot of it for me would have to depend on location. Where I am in Northern Virginia I would hate to submit my Vette to the thrashing the NOVA roads unleash on a car. However, if I lived in Southern/South Western Virginia I would have gone straight to one
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

so im 19 and planning on buying an fbody, probably a trans am, BUT i could afford a c5 vette through my aunt at a dealers auction... some people have said in here that vette insurance is cheaper?! could this possibly be true for a 19 year old????
Old 10-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Teching In

I love my 99 vert. I have owned trans ams and cameros, although very nice cars definately not the same feel as my vette. Of course I have a PTK twin turbo set up with meth and nitrous and 670rwhp with my vette and camero was stock and my trans am is a 79 with olds 455 so there is just no comparison. Go for the vette you wont regret it. IMHO. Belive me you want to see stupid/scary fast come on over ill take you for a ride.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chadaclysm
so im 19 and planning on buying an fbody, probably a trans am, BUT i could afford a c5 vette through my aunt at a dealers auction... some people have said in here that vette insurance is cheaper?! could this possibly be true for a 19 year old????
In all honestly it may be about the same. Since you're 19 years old and presumably a male, your insurance is going to be insanely high anyway. It will most likely not vary too much between owning a Vette and a F-body. The bulk of insurance rate on a car is determined by number of reported accidents in said car.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by schmidtycamaro
In all honestly it may be about the same. Since you're 19 years old and presumably a male, your insurance is going to be insanely high anyway. It will most likely not vary too much between owning a Vette and a F-body. The bulk of insurance rate on a car is determined by number of reported accidents in said car.
I always thought it was actually the age of the driver, and not the type of car you drive.

I am 20 years old now, almost 21 and my insurance is still high but not as bad as it can be.

I have no tickets on my record.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
WOW, I didn't realize until right now that the majority of f-body owners bought an f-body cause they couldn't afford a Corvette.
Yup. Loads of people put the Corvette up to be the holy-grail of American Performance, although I'd rather own an LSx powered F-bod instead any time. If I had the money to buy a 'Vette, that money would go into 'modding my T/A. In summary, to each their own, buy what you want...

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons to owning a Vette over an F-Body