General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pros and Cons to owning a Vette over an F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black 99
I love my 99 vert. I have owned trans ams and cameros, although very nice cars definately not the same feel as my vette. Of course I have a PTK twin turbo set up with meth and nitrous and 670rwhp with my vette and camero was stock and my trans am is a 79 with olds 455 so there is just no comparison. Go for the vette you wont regret it. IMHO. Belive me you want to see stupid/scary fast come on over ill take you for a ride.
you owned camAro's but cant spell the name?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by myk
Yup. Loads of people put the Corvette up to be the holy-grail of American Performance.
Viper ACR.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chadaclysm
so im 19 and planning on buying an fbody, probably a trans am, BUT i could afford a c5 vette through my aunt at a dealers auction... some people have said in here that vette insurance is cheaper?! could this possibly be true for a 19 year old????
I don't know about comparing to an F-body, but you definitley have to shop around to find the best rates. I threw out the idea of a vette a long time ago because Geico quoted me $800 a month for insurance. 20 years old perfect record. Then I tried a quote with my current company (travelers) and insurance was $245 a month for my 02 Z06 and 96 cobra. Since that was only $15 more than I paid on my cobra I had a vette within a week
Old 10-20-2008, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chadaclysm
so im 19 and planning on buying an fbody, probably a trans am, BUT i could afford a c5 vette through my aunt at a dealers auction... some people have said in here that vette insurance is cheaper?! could this possibly be true for a 19 year old????
Probably not cheaper but not much more. Im 23 no tickets(on my record now) and a 01 ZO6 is less than 90(checked my notes) more every six months, 01 coupe is less than 40 more.

BTW I see in your sig you want a TA or Formula. I have one for sale if you want to check it out. Check out the link in my sig.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:55 AM
Teching In

honestly, if u get a ws6 or and SS ur gonna have great handling and alot of power to use that handling, especially on road courses and backoads. My CETA WS6 handles like a dream and is completely stock bro. if ur gonna get a c5, u might a well get the WS6 cuz its basically a vette with a backseat lol. Good luck
Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Mint02CETA
honestly, if u get a ws6 or and SS ur gonna have great handling and alot of power to use that handling, especially on road courses and backoads. My CETA WS6 handles like a dream and is completely stock bro. if ur gonna get a c5, u might a well get the WS6 cuz its basically a vette with a backseat lol. Good luck
uhhh... it's not close at all. your ws6 handles ok, and if you ever drove a Z51 or Z06 vette you would know it would wipe the floor w/ the TA.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea they handle great for what they are....AN OLD DESIGN SOLID AXLE REAR car. I have Strano springs, 35/22 sways, Koni 4/4's and my Uncles 08 Z06 will eat me alive everywhere. Hell, the brakes on that thing are PHENOMANAL From a performance standpoint there is no comparison but f-bodys were not meant to compete with a Vette. For what they cost f-bodys are a great performance value Now let's go flog some Mustangs and eat some rice!!! LOL

Last edited by SOMbitch; 10-21-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Yea they handle great for what they are....AN OLD DESIGN SOLID AXLE REAR car. I have Strano springs, 35/22 sways, Koni 4/4's and my Uncles 08 Z06 will eat me alive everywhere. Hell, the brakes on that thing are PHENOMANAL From a performance standpoint there is no comparison but f-bodys were not meant to compete with a Vette. For what they cost f-bodys are a great performance value Now let's go flog some Mustangs and eat some rice!!! LOL
You may get some of the road race guys to disagree with your comments, ZO6 does handle well and will over take most stock f-bodies; but there are a few guys on here that have dialed in f-bodies that stick to the road.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
you do realize you are comparing your car to a 08 z06 right? that car can outhandle lots of highend cars so it should have no problem out handling an f-body with only a few mods. Anyway back to the op's question i have driven a c5 vette but i didn't like it to much because honestly for me it was to small (i'm 6'2") plus it wasn't really any faster then my car was stock however it was a nicer car overall but i would still take my f-body over one...unless maybe it was a c5 z06 or a c6 vette. Also as far as looks go that is really a subjective thing, for instance one of my neighbors has a c5 vette with z06 wheels and anytime someone is at his house and i ride by they always comment on how much they like my car, i even know alot of girls who have said they dont like how vettes look so even the so called sex appeal of the vette sometimes isn't all its cracked up to be. I will admit though that lots of stupid things break on my car but overall it has been good to me, im not sure if less things would have broken if i had a vette but i think that either way you really cant go wrong.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by will01
You may get some of the road race guys to disagree with your comments, ZO6 does handle well and will over take ANY stock f-bodies; but there are a few guys on here that have dialed in f-bodies that stick to the road.
^^^fixed^^^^

I have hear people claim that but same driver Z06 wins everytime. 315's all around and R-compound will help even things out but R-compound on a on a Z06 and back to the Z advantage. I have 275's all around BTW. People rarely mention how much better the Z06 brakes are either.

Overall I can see a really good f-body full suspension car hanging close to a C5 but no way to a C6. There are also all kinds of supension upgrades for Vettes too don't forget. Apples and oranges IMHO

Oh, and I love my T/A
Old 10-22-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A stock WS6 handles mediocre at best, if you think its great then you just haven't been in any good handling cars. Get some Koni shocks and you'll quickly realize exactly what I'm talking about...
The only thing a Corvette and fbody share in common are the gear box and engine, and if you have driven both this would be very obvious to you, the Corvette is a much better car.
Its beyond me why anyone would want an fbody over a C5 or C6 unless you are building a drag only, non street car. I'm in no way saying Fbodies are bad cars, or can't turn etc. etc. but compared to a C5 or C6 (ignoring higher MSRP) it should be a no brainer.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

I would take a f-body over a c5. C5's looks more dated to me than the T/A. Probably because I'm used to seeing c6's, and there's no new T/As to compare to. Plus the F-body is easier and cheaper to upgrade. I knew to get the power down reliably I was going to need to upgrade the tranny and rear. I went 4L80E and am planning on a Moser 9 inch. Try significantly upgrading a vette's drivetrain.

If you intend to keep the power levels stock I would look at a vette though. I'm considering a C6 down the line but leaving it strictly stock minus a catback. I'll keep the T/A for stupid power levels.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
A stock WS6 handles mediocre at best, if you think its great then you just haven't been in any good handling cars. Get some Koni shocks and you'll quickly realize exactly what I'm talking about...
The only thing a Corvette and fbody share in common are the gear box and engine, and if you have driven both this would be very obvious to you, the Corvette is a much better car.
Its beyond me why anyone would want an fbody over a C5 or C6 unless you are building a drag only, non street car. I'm in no way saying Fbodies are bad cars, or can't turn etc. etc. but compared to a C5 or C6 (ignoring higher MSRP) it should be a no brainer.
this man speaks the truth... i almost can't drive my stock suspension SS anymore... it feels like a damn boat compared to the one in my sig
Old 10-22-2008, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

I own both a 1999 camaro ss with heads/cam and every bolt on in the book, plus i own 1999 Corvette FRC heads/cam, bolt ons.

Handling and Braking C5
Expensive to Mod C5
Easier to work on F-body
Cheaper Parts F-Body

To give in an example in cost for parts. Exhaust for Fbody $450 bucks, C5 $700 bucks. I did the mods to both cars and had to remove more **** on the vette for a head and cam swap, like ABS module, power steering pump/cooler, steering shaft, ect...... Plus i dealt with the bullshit steering lock colum recall. Take a moment to view all recalls for both cars before making a decision. You take the vette to a shop/dealer and you will be left with a swollen a-hole.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

take it from me i jumped into an f body and now im wishing i got a gto or vette not that i dont love my 00 its mint and clean but f bodys just have squeeks and rattles thats something im not really into
Old 10-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

I first looked at 6spd f bodies they'd all been touched before that i came across for a decent price. The people who had virgin stock ones were all stupidly over priced! The insurance is high as hell! So i started to look at c5s they're light, nimble, fun, the hook pretty good but i couldnt get over the hatch! So i said screw it found a z06 w/ low miles some flaws here and there and used them to my advantage. You find a vette with couple paint flaws, boogerd wheel, clutch slippin cause the owner couldnt drive a 6spd, you'll be able to talk em down couple thou easy. Been in a slight fender bender...knock 2500 to 3000 roughly.

Im stoked bout mine cause i happen to find one that runs harder than others, theres probly only a handful of my color within 75mi radius that i can figure (i get mistakin for another guy on the site with an eb z), and i love getting the looks from people around me at stops lol but i will say the trannys are weaker than your average t56 and they cost more to mod but the resale value is better...atleast it was. Theres more respect from other drivers for vette owners and you dont worry bout retards door dingin ya as bad , and chicks tend to like vettes a lil more, unless its a superclean fbody w/ a nice thumpdy thump to it ya gotta love them fbodies lol
Old 10-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JustWannaGoFast95
take it from me i jumped into an f body and now im wishing i got a gto or vette not that i dont love my 00 its mint and clean but f bodys just have squeeks and rattles thats something im not really into
vettes can get squeeks and rattles as well, and gtos ive just heard from numorus owners they have problems all the time. then theyre heavy cars from the start.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

I have also considered on and off with selling my 01 WS6 for a C5 Vette. Chances are I won't do it, but its always in the back on my head. At 18 years old I think having an 01 T/A is enough for me right now, instead of spending the extra $$ to put towards a Vette, I can use it for more important things in life.

Anyway from personal experience I have driven both an F-Body and C5 Vette on a road course. My Trans-Am M6 and a C5 Vette Convertible automatic. Both cars were quick around the track, but the biggest noticable difference was handling and conering. When cornering hard the front wheels of my car would slide as I was trying to turn, when I drove the Vette, the car just easily went right around with no wheel slide or anything. Both are great cars, choose wisely!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FrkEBz06
vettes can get squeeks and rattles as well, and gtos ive just heard from numorus owners they have problems all the time. then theyre heavy cars from the start.
agreed some get them probably from driving on hard roads n such but everyone i rode in felt like a Cadillac just by the shut of the doors etc. and i know people personally with 10k f bodys and it seems to me they came off the line with rattles here n there like a muscle car should....... in my opinion i just think the vette is better made and has much more luxury features (better be for the price)

as far as the gtos go yeah there heavier and id never buy a 5.7 or auto but i just like the way they look i took a few for a ride recently shopping around and they seem much more solid and are just different besides i like the holden look

im in no way doggin out f bodys they are true muscle and very fast and im the proud owner of 2
Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JustWannaGoFast95
If you are getting squeeks and rattles from going over bumps this is an easy fix: better shocks. My car as it sits right now, lowered even, doesn't have any rattles thanks to the shocks not letting them get to the cabin in the first place.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons to owning a Vette over an F-Body