General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving an M6 F-Body in the rain...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
if you can not drive your car in the rain/snow(not blizzards im talkin 2-3inchs) than please go to the dmv hand in your l's and use your car as a lawn ornament. I have never and will never buy a car that i can't drive in the street(unless it's a drag car that i drive on the street but thats different lol) i understand not wanting to drive the car in the snow because i don't want to but i can and i will, i'm picking up a little s10 beater for this winter though so i can stop putting all the miles on the ta. seriously just drive the car and don't be stupid and youll be fine. i've driven f-bodies in the rain where you can't see the front bumper from the windshield with out a problem and in up to 4" of snow and the only problem i've had is stopping nothing else and that was in snow. if you have commen sense youll be fine.
Where ever was it said in this thread that I or anyone could not drive an F-Body in the rain?

Take your time to respond and ******* read.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pythias
I agree as well. I've done it 4 times in the last 10 days. (North carolina for you I guess) And its no problem especially with my bosch icon wipers rain stands no chance
I drive my car 140 miles a day regardless of rain/snow/anything else...I also have Bosch Icons (which are great) but I really don't even turn them on much...RainX works really really well, and it's funny seeing the looks from other drivers faces as I go by with my cruise control on in the pouring rain without the wipers on. I've got good tires on my car (2000 M6 Z28)...I can put down a good amount of power on wet pavement with them. Maybe the OP's tires are bald? That makes any decently powerful car tough to drive in the rain.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vicinity
Where ever was it said in this thread that I or anyone could not drive an F-Body in the rain?

Take your time to respond and ******* read.
i've read so **** you interenet tuff guy. you dont say anything about not being able to drive your car in the rain but your saying its one of the hardest things to do, ITS NOT, driving an f-body in the rain is like driving any other v-8 rwd car just drive it and don't be stupid. my post wasn't meant to offend you did it say "op if you can't drive in the rain"?????? negative it just said "if you" a general statement. but seriously and this is to you op learn to drive your car, don't bitch about something as stupid as rain. maybe bitch about idk driving in a tsunami or retarded hard storms not some rain/thunderstorms. if you can't drive your car in all weather than you can't drive your car.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
i've read so **** you interenet tuff guy. you dont say anything about not being able to drive your car in the rain but your saying its one of the hardest things to do, ITS NOT, driving an f-body in the rain is like driving any other v-8 rwd car just drive it and don't be stupid. my post wasn't meant to offend you did it say "op if you can't drive in the rain"?????? negative it just said "if you" a general statement. but seriously and this is to you op learn to drive your car, don't bitch about something as stupid as rain. maybe bitch about idk driving in a tsunami or retarded hard storms not some rain/thunderstorms. if you can't drive your car in all weather than you can't drive your car.
All I was saying was it's hard because I was used to AWD. Calm the **** down and chill with the personal insults.

You said...
Originally Posted by Dumbass
if you can not drive your car in the rain/snow(not blizzards im talkin 2-3inchs) than please go to the dmv hand in your l's
And that's an insult, so I told you to read, I never said I can't drive.

Chill.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha. This thread reminds me of when I was a teenager with my 94 3.4L camaro, doing 360s down superior blvd in newport beach. I saved that b*tch and it taught me alot about how to drive these cars in the rain. No issues since that day! lol
Old 11-03-2008, 05:40 AM
On The Tree

Any body have any recommendations other than "don't drive in the rain" or "don't smash the pedal"?
Falken Azenis RT 615

I put these on in the spring and have been driving on them all summer. Great tire in the rain. They'll break loose if you try to, but driving normal they stick. There's a tight off ramp on my way home from work with a recommended speed of 20 mph. I can take that bitch at 40 in the pouring rain no problem.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:55 AM
On The Tree

its just harder than a fwd car but not impossible under any conditions
Old 11-03-2008, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

**** I rock the baldy's in the rear all rear round...

stab & steer!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

oh yeah, and stay off the brakes...
Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea breaks deff. suck. what was your awd car or truck? my bad lol.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jaguar X-Type AWD (car).

I could get it to move as if there was no rain. Going to RWD was a big change, but I'm used to it now. Tires I have now suck in the rain, though.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

For some reason I've always been impressed with the way my firebird handles in rain or even snow. I got caught in a freak snowstorm on the beltway a few years back and had a few suv's and pickups lose control around me, skidding sideways and into the center wall or hitting cars in other lanes. Going about 20 mph in 4th gear, I maneuvered around them all and kept going. Just drive it like you're giving your grandma a ride to church.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jaguar X-Type AWD (car).

I could get it to move as if there was no rain. Going to RWD was a big change, but I'm used to it now. Tires I have now suck in the rain, though.
Those cars don't even feel like AWD. Hell, I was drifting one around a parting lot after Prom.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tacklebox
For some reason I've always been impressed with the way my firebird handles in rain or even snow. I got caught in a freak snowstorm on the beltway a few years back and had a few suv's and pickups lose control around me, skidding sideways and into the center wall or hitting cars in other lanes. Going about 20 mph in 4th gear, I maneuvered around them all and kept going. Just drive it like you're giving your grandma a ride to church.
So get the *** end as silly as possible? i love scaring my passengers but only where there is no risk in hurting my passenger car or myself lol. (I've had my car sideways with my granny and my niece in the car BUT ONLY IN A BIG BIG EMPTY PARKING LOT with no parking blocks of course) my neice loves it so much when i take a turn normal she says go fast spin around lol. I guess the firestone firehawks that the dealer put on my car before i got it makes a difference because i've never had any problems in the rain besides the steep uphill start i have to take to leave my parking lot of work but i only get slight spin and than it goes. i slip the clutch with as little gas i can.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by squee
Those cars don't even feel like AWD. Hell, I was drifting one around a parting lot after Prom.
You can definitely break the tires loose with it, but it drives really smooth, and handles 100000x better than an F-Body in the rain, lol.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can definitely break the tires loose with it, but it drives really smooth, and handles 100000x better than an F-Body in the rain, lol.
Its not easy, but yea you can break the tires loose. Their really slow off the line though.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i don't find it harder to drive in the rain at all except you are in the rain and it can be slippery no matter what car you are driving. i don't know if i understand why it is hard or is the "hardest thing you've ever done" at all. personally i even turn the asr off whenever i drive, including in the rain, and i still have no problems.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just take it easy, if you have a m6, you could leave in second off the light if you are worried about spinning the tires...living in chicago means not worrying about the rain, just the snow....i drove my car last winter through the snow, it was pretty fun....just takes some time to get used to it and be careful the first couple times..the *** end will come around quick. Having good tires is a necessity....after you get used to it, try breaking the tires loose at 50, its a little crazy at first.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

It just takes common sense. Try not to punch it as the *** end will kick out or you can punch it and have fun peddling the car lol
Old 11-03-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Seriously, I've done it like 4-5 times now and it just doesn't get any easier.

Any body have any recommendations other than "don't drive in the rain" or "don't smash the pedal"?
Get better tires! I have a mid 11 car with m6 and ls7 clutch and never had any pooblems even with my drag wheels 15x4 and 15x9 sportsmand S/R tires on rear and kumo's up front!

Quick Reply: Driving an M6 F-Body in the rain...