General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

car payments in college

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah but by the time you finish college you'll be to old, married and pre-occupied with work to enjoy the F-body you dreamed about in college....

Leverage, barrow, finance, and or steal the F-body if necessary I say.... Life is short play hard...

I personally drove a motorcycle in college and was on a strict mac and cheese and top rommen diet...Times were tough to say the least.....
Old 12-02-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Investing that cash you used to buy your car and and making $5k-$10k and paying $1-$2k sounds better to me than spending it all on a car that will depreciate.
It'll depreciate anyways. It's probably depreciated a whole 1-2k tops. I suppose paying interest is a better idea? What would you suggest would be a good investment today?

I guarantee i would of paid more in interest making payments than i could earn investing. Investment = risk anyways.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
It'll depreciate anyways. It's probably depreciated a whole 1-2k tops. I suppose paying interest is a better idea? What would you suggest would be a good investment today?

I guarantee i would of paid more in interest making payments than i could earn investing. Investment = risk anyways.
I'm saying the money you could make from investing that cash would cover the interest and make you more money on top of it.

Airline stocks. Everyone but Southwest.

Driving down the road = risk. .
Old 12-02-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

You only live once, I bought my car just before my senior year in college on a 4 year loan. Knowing full well I would be paying on it through most of college. I have always found a way to get the things I want through working when I need to. The last couple years I was able to get a good enough summer job and make enough money to cover my payments and insurance for the year. My school and living is paid for by financial aid I will have to pay back but wont start interest till after I graduate. I am going to start taking summer classes and working year round to pay for the car and hopefully the house I will be moving into next year.

In my experience I had more distractions when I wasnt working and focusing on gettting the things I wanted. Anytime I am working I get more done, have better grades, and usually take better care of myself like lifting and running. For some reason if I am not working I get lazy and dont do anything, but want to lay around and party its wierd I know...
Old 12-02-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I'm saying the money you could make from investing that cash would cover the interest and make you more money on top of it.

Airline stocks. Everyone but Southwest.

Driving down the road = risk. .
insurance eliminates risk. what insurance do i have in investments?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
insurance eliminates risk. what insurance do i have in investments?
Totally depends on your insurance company.

Im going to school, pre-med, and make a $310 car payment. I'll tell you how I do it, my grades suck *****.

It will be paid off with income tax returns in febuary. So I can save my grades before they consider me a joke.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i work my *** off, i do side jobs, build fences, grass, build custom exhausts.. build engines do other wrench work.. it all adds up and helps me live a pretty good life in spite of being in college for 5 years now with two to go. i work between 20-35 hours a week depending on which semester and my class load. i usually take about 3 classes a semester (roughly 10-11 hours, im heavy in the 4 hour bio/chem science classes) and work my **** off.. and rarely ever turn down a side job when it presents itself. i live at home with mom which helps, and in spite of what the media may say it doesnt really hurt me with the ladies at all lol. anyhow my car ins. isnt that bad either its like another 50 dollars a month over my current insurance for my tacoma, and thats with full coverage.. and by far this camaro is not my only toy.. ive had lotsa other crap bein in college.. but guess what i show up for work and bust my *** to have that beauty in the garage when i get home.. or when i needa take a good lookn gurl to dinner
Old 12-11-2008, 07:46 PM

Im a freshman in college, and this thread was exactly what I was looking for. I wake up every day, obsessing and dreaming about camaros and T/As. My college is paid for by my work, i make money on the side of that in weekly paychecks, and I still dont know how to get a camaro. It hurts not having a credit score (because I dont and have never used a credit card), and I really cant pay cash right now. I have enough money for gas and insurance to hold me off for a decent time for my 2000 impala, which is paid off. But I still cant figure out how to get a camaro. My dad wont co-sign for a loan, and I dont know WTF to do. Even though my impala is in perfect running condition and its all highway miles, the damn thing is hard to sell, once people see that it has 210 K miles on the clock. My car is in perfect order, and the 3800 motor is bulletproof. But damn these idiots who cant take the time to run a carfax (and see that the history is perfect) because all they see is 210 K miles. F* This. Rant over.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

I only pay 88$ a month for full coverage under MY OWN policy and the car is registered to me and none else. Loan is my loan only and no cosigner. I also had a lapse in coverage for a time when I didn't own a car.... of course being in te Marine Corps has helped me get all this lol.

Quick Reply: car payments in college