General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Seafoaming your GM motors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZFan88
Plenty of threads on this, try a search
I am not reading thru 15 pages of crap of small talk just to find a simple answer to my question on an older thread when I already started a new thread and can get an updated answer immediately to my question... Not being lazy just being time effecient and maybe impatient!!! However, I did read the long thread anyway just to get a broader knowledge on seafoaming and yes it does state that it shouldn't effect the cats or 02 sensors... It passes out as smoke when burnt like Ls184Adam has stated...

However, I am not so convinced, Why you may ask? Common sense tells me if some people have experienced fouled spark plugs after seafoaming an older motor for the first time then I would venture to think dislodged carbon deposits when seafoaming have reseated between the spark plug points causing some plugs to foul...So if that can happen to spark plugs why can't it happen to cats and O2 sensors? Hmmmm, see my point?

That is why I asked that question?

Thanks Adam as I did read the same in other posts........

Last edited by JIBBBY; 11-21-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Seafoamed my car a couple weeks ago after one track rental and before another day at the track. Between the Seafoaming and cleaning the K&N air filter, I went .15 faster in the quarter all day long. The K&N was pretty dirty, though.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see this thread is still going so I'll go ahead and throw two smart-*** cents in from my own observations:

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
I actually diluted the seafoam with water then ran it thru the motor and let it sit for 10 minutes...Crank the motor and smoke city... I guess there is different methods to using it
Woooooops... Did I really say I diluted seafoam with water???? Total brain freeze fellas as I was probably thinking radiator coolant with water and or was probably half asleep during that post..

Oh, I see, so you just realized (after a couple people pointed out how stupid it was) that you completely mistyped that part where you said you diluted the seafoam with water and ran it through the motor...and so what was the different method you were refering to then if it wasn't diluting the seafoam with water, or were you asleep and just mistyped when you wrote that too? hmm...

Old 11-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am not reading thru 15 pages of crap of small talk just to find a simple answer to my question on an older thread when I already started a new thread and can get an updated answer immediately to my question... Not being lazy just being time effecient and maybe impatient!!! However, I did read the long thread anyway just to get a broader knowledge on seafoaming and yes it does state that it shouldn't effect the cats or 02 sensors... It passes out as smoke when burnt like Ls184Adam has stated...

However, I am not so convinced, Why you may ask? Common sense tells me if some people have experienced fouled spark plugs after seafoaming an older motor for the first time then I would venture to think dislodged carbon deposits when seafoaming have reseated between the spark plug points causing some plugs to foul...So if that can happen to spark plugs why can't it happen to cats and O2 sensors? Hmmmm, see my point?

That is why I asked that question?

Thanks Adam as I did read the same in other posts........
Yes. Yes you are being lazy. Everyone of those threads says the exact same thing, yes seafoam is fine, quite doing repost. The posts you would find in your search would tell those OP's to do a search because this has been covered.....alot.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

SeaFoamed mine tonight. Ran a can through the intake and put another in the gas tank after a fill up. Smoked like a mother for about 15 minutes but man what a difference.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Village Idiot

****, didn't know some people were so uptight about redundant threads... Oh well what can you do?

Seafoam away I say... It does make a difference for the better.....

Can't be to good for the ozone layer though....
Old 11-21-2008, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Hp > Ozone

I'm putting in my headers soon, so i'll seafoam and change the plugs while doing LT install. I'm at 45k. Should be a good time to give it a shot. Good luck jib
Old 11-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Village Idiot

Ophee, 45,000 miles I dought there is that much carbon buildup on your motor, however it can't hurt to do it anyway...You may just gain back a few ponies...

My motor hit 100,000 miles when I did my first seafoam but that is on an import v8 motor with the EGR recycle exhuast system intact and working. It was smoke city for me too... Must have gained 10hp or so from what I could tell... Didn't foul my plugs or cats on that 1rst try either...

I also got about 50,000 miles on my swap LS2 motor and going to seafoam that motor as soon as it runs...
Old 11-21-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Can we seafoam the search button?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

BTW....I watched that video and I never heard the guy saying the engine oil would need to be changed after xxx miles like the Choco write up says. If Seafoam burns deposits...why changing the oil???
Old 11-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Village Idiot

No the search button can't be seafoamed... The search button actually broke when I tried to seafoam it...

I've always heard it is a good idea to change the oil after seafoaming because all the crap it dislodges has nowhere to go like out the exhaust when seafoaming the engine.. The oil will get poluted...

I am wondering if seafoaming the tranny helps?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

No the search button can't be seafoamed... The search button actually broke when I tried to seafoam it...

I've always heard it is a good idea to change the oil after seafoaming because all the crap it dislodges has nowhere to go like out the exhaust when seafoaming the engine.. The oil will get poluted...

I am wondering if seafoaming the tranny helps?
Nothing combusts in the tranny.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ophee
Hp > Ozone

I'm putting in my headers soon, so i'll seafoam and change the plugs while doing LT install. I'm at 45k. Should be a good time to give it a shot. Good luck jib
Btw, sigged.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:32 AM

Can I seafoam my diff?
Old 11-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Banned

Jibby, try seafoaming yourself. Drink the whole bottle.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I was thinking of seafoaming my wife's head....

Call me crazy but something tells me this seafoam thing is crap....oh well...
Old 11-22-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chaman
BTW....I watched that video and I never heard the guy saying the engine oil would need to be changed after xxx miles like the Choco write up says. If Seafoam burns deposits...why changing the oil???
I can see why the oil should be changed after adding seafoam to it; it gets very black after running it for a just hundred miles or so. I wouldn't want to and don't keep running it in there looking like that.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

Here straight from seafoam themselves.
Not a website, not on the can.
One is a pic of the email reponse, the other three you need to save to your computer and open them with microsoft works word.
And BTW they have a product for transmissions.

IMO, people seem more impressed with the smoke show than anything else.
But think about this, why is carbon loosened up by seafoam more prone to foul spark plugs, O2 sensors, than carbon just coming off during normal operation?
My opinion is that if your engine has that much **** built up in it, the plugs and o2 sensors are probably in just as bad condition.

I've taken engines apart before with well over 100,000 miles and seen carbon build up that wouldn't effect anything, and if it was mechanically cleaned off it would be right back in 10k miles.
This is the nature of a gasoline engine.

Yes seafoam and all kinds of other products might clean these deposits off, but is it necessary? I personally don't think so.

Now as far as injector cleaning, pouring a can of this in a full tank or whatever their recommendation might be is like pissing in the ocean.
It works much better in an injector cleaning machine.
It is effective in dissolving intake tract carbon when applied manually (with a rag)

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 01-06-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Here is a video of me seafoaming my 01 T/A WS6....blew out alot of smoke, didn't really feel any difference though:

Driving video after seafoaming my 2001 Trans-Am WS
Old 11-22-2008, 03:32 PM

Can u use seafoam for the brakes?

Quick Reply: Seafoaming your GM motors?