General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Downsides to convertable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
and everything else is just right along with whats-her-face beside you, dropping that top makes it all worth it...
The Car or the Girl..lol
Old 12-05-2008, 01:42 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
The Car or the Girl..lol
Mmmm...Both....Ha ha
Old 12-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the opions guys. I never thought about someone being able to throw **** into the car HaHa You never know with all these punks around. I wish i had the money to have both
Old 12-05-2008, 06:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

It happens all the time..quite often someone posts a thread on here where someone dumped something into their car while it was parked.

Some people are haters.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Vert's are cool. As for looks that's a matter of taste. I think the 01-02 SS vert's look the best. Favorite is white SS w/black top and black interior. I think there are some color combo's that look horrible...anything with a tan top for example. Everyone has an opinion on that sort of thing...so ignore them and pick what you like.

Vert's weigh more...that only matters if your going to race

Vert's always seem to have more wind noise & road noise.

If someone gets pi$$ed at you, they are likely to cut the top. That's expensive to replace.

Vert's are very easy to break into.

If you ride thru a bad area in the hood you may feel more exposed and less safe than you'd like.

Being able to drop the top by flipping a latch and pressing a button is priceless.

If the weather is bad where you live that will take some fun out of the vert.

The car that actually got me seriously looking at F-bodies again was a triple black 94 LT1 Convertable.

I think Vert's ALWAYS need subframes.

Get what you want.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted a convertible for years, through high school and college. A year after graduating college, I went and bought my 94Z 'vert, brand new right off the showroom floor (14 years ago next week, in fact). I thought it was a great looking car then, and I still think it's a great looking car.

I've rolled with T-tops, I've had sunroofs, but nothing beats a 'vert. They are cruising cars, I love mine. As was mentioned, if you really want a 'vert, don't settle for T-tops, get one. You'll learn to keep a towel in the back seat (I do), you'll get used to bass that sucks with the top down (yeah), and the shake, the weight, yeah. If you want to go fast, get a stripper hardtop. If you want to have a fun cruiser, can't beat a 'vert.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Vert's are cool. As for looks that's a matter of taste. I think the 01-02 SS vert's look the best. Favorite is white SS w/black top and black interior. I think there are some color combo's that look horrible...anything with a tan top for example. Everyone has an opinion on that sort of thing...so ignore them and pick what you like.

Vert's weigh more...that only matters if your going to race

Vert's always seem to have more wind noise & road noise.

If someone gets pi$$ed at you, they are likely to cut the top. That's expensive to replace.

Vert's are very easy to break into.

If you ride thru a bad area in the hood you may feel more exposed and less safe than you'd like.

Being able to drop the top by flipping a latch and pressing a button is priceless.

If the weather is bad where you live that will take some fun out of the vert.

The car that actually got me seriously looking at F-bodies again was a triple black 94 LT1 Convertable.

I think Vert's ALWAYS need subframes.

Get what you want.

and how do they differ from the 98-00? Ive never seen a difference (besides the mirrors which changed in 00)
Old 12-05-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Is the car going to be a weekend toy or a daily driver?

I have a 4th gen T-top car and a convertible, so I have a direct comparison for my opinions. I have subframe connectors on both cars too. Personally I would get another convertible for a weekend toy but would NOT get another one for a daily driver. As you can see in my sig, my 1995 Z28 convertible is my daily driver.

The post above has many very good points...
-I got my t-top car first, but now that I have the convert too the hassle with t-tops seems like a huge pain in the *** now. Just dropping the top in 5 seconds at stoplights is priceless.

-Both T-top and convertible cars NEED subframe connectors

-Both T-top and convertible cars leak, but a convert usually leaks a bit more (yes even my 42K mile T-top car with subframe connectors leaks!)

-You can absolutely feel the convertible flex, shake, and twist a lot more, even with BMR subframe connectors on my vert.

-I honestly don't notice any more road noise in my convertible, which I was really surprised by.

-If you get a convertible, get a low mile one and take really good care of it!

-I love both, but mainly b/c of the shakes, rattles and leaks (which still aren't terrible) I would not get another convertible for a daily driver. If it's a weekend toy you can drive it more easily and carefully, which could reduce the wear and tear on a convertible car.

That's my .02

Last edited by Sunset01SS; 07-21-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 97 TA WS6 convertible, red with black top, ebony interior, 6 speed car. Was rare and I LOVED it! I did the LT4 package, sounded awesome, got a LOT of compliments and with the choppy exhaust it took out the "gayness" as some people associate verts with. I would say get it, throw in the roll bar and a cam, and it will be an awesome ride with meaness to it! BTW, my vert handled way better than my 96 TA did.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you wanta vert I say go for it, a little heavier and a different style. If that doesn't bother you go for it all the way. I looked at verts but just got my best deal on this SOM T-top car so thats' where I am. Kinda wanted M6 too but Yank made me forget about thati
Old 12-07-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Get the vert! As far as blind spots top up... yes there are more but once you drive the car enough you don't even notice them.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
IMO verts on f-bodies are ugly as hell.
well I still think your car is beautiful!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

The loud, wet, blindsiding, and structually weaker body can all be looked past by the hit of a button, drop the top and you are on top of the world..Thats my opinon, im a vert guy no matter what.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Originally Posted by 406malibu
and how do they differ from the 98-00? Ive never seen a difference (besides the mirrors which changed in 00)
SS Rims changed from the earlier style.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:20 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We enjoy our '98 Z28 Vert. No problems with leaks, just don't take it to the powerwash stall at the carwash - we wash it by hand.

Yes, it does have a little cowl shake and when I installed an ORY pipe, I could not put the X-brace back on - I had to use the tunnel brace off one of my other cars. I'd swapped enough torque arms to shorter aftermarket ones that I had a couple tunnel braces on the shelf.

It is used as a cruiser. I would not build one to be a track car or even close to that. It is really nice to drop the power top on a sunny day and just roll. I installed an SLP airlid and P&P throttle body to try and make up for the extra weight and at least make it as quick as a bone stock coupe. It was too quiet, so I added the ORY and now we can hear an exhaust note when we want to. Seemed to add a handful of HP too.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't like that i'd need a roll bar at the track. tan tops really show the age of the car if you aren't into maintaining it. top up or down at high speed (over 135mph or so) is a problem due to wind noise (top down) and airflow trying to suck the back window out (top up). wind drag is a problem with the top down over 80mph.

i don't think i'd want a hardtop unless it was a lot cheaper though. test drive it and if you like going fast with the top down, its for you. however, if i had to deal with winter, i'd reconsider.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
SS Rims changed from the earlier style.
all ss's came with the ten spoke wheels but the only difference was that you could get zr1 wheels as an option so the wheels didn't change. But anyway as far as owning a vert like everyone else stated there are some obvious drawbacks but honestly they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. The weight difference is only about 150lbs or so which honestly isn't going to make the car very much slower. I have lots of friends with the same mods as me and my car is just as fast as theirs are even though my car weighs a lil more. As far as the rattles and leaks all f-bodies rattle and leak and honestly it isn't that bad, my car has some rattles and only barely leaks by the passenger window. If you want the vert then get it, you dont see many of them around especially 6 speeds and honestly on a nice summer night nothing beats the feeling of riding around with the top down. Another plus is that chicks love verts and also seeing the look on someones face after you smoke them with the top down is priceless . Oh yeah forgot to add that you shouldn't worry about the roll bar thing, hell i have been to the track many times and i dont have one it just depends on how strict they are
Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

-is is heavy
-shakes and rattles
-very loose and unstable handling
-IMO is doesnt look as good as the t-tops
-u need a roll cage if u run 13.9 or better

I got a vert only cuz it was a very good deal at the time for me. I still love my vert, its great on a nice summer afternoon or night
Old 12-10-2008, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexVette505
-u need a roll cage if u run 13.9 or better
actually it is 13.49 or faster now and you need a rollbar not a rollcage but honestly every track i have been to doesn't enforce that because your car could be basically stock and run that
Old 12-26-2008, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Verts have more bracing underneath. My '01 vert is VERY solid. I have had it up to 160 MPH with the top up. No problems. The shop owner of Lethal Performance here in San Antonio, who has had 9 second cars out of his shop, says my car will probably not even need a sub frame connector, even after installing (which I am doing VERY soon) an APS twin turbo kit!! When I bought my car in March of this year, 6 speed verts were very uncommon. In '01, only 81 m6 T\A (non Ws6) verts were made. Less in black, which is what my car is. In the last year, I have only seen 1 T\A vert on the road in San Antonio. Blue Book value on verts is also more.
Also, verts attract ALOT of attention with the top down.
Weight difference is about 123 lbs from a vert to a T-top. I fixed that by removing my spare tire, jack, and replacing my stock wheels with lightweight Centerline models.
There is one member here, Cablebandit, who has a 9 second T\A vert at 4130lbs!!
Video under the vert section shows some of his runs.
As far as appearance,IMO, T-tops look better than verts with the top up, Verts rule all with the top down!!