General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Spunout and almost crashed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spunout and almost crashed!

Well what a shitty day yesterday was, it started with car troubles and ended with me almost spinning into oncoming traffic on route one later in the day. I started up my DD camaro to go to wawa, and when i got back from getting some food my car wouldn't start. Nothing, even my door locks didn't work and the battery meter twitched maybe a millimeter below 8volts. This pissed me off because the battery is brand new. It took me four hours to jump this bitch. My friends cables sucked and his battery didn't seem to want to charge mine, my gauges were freaking out and the car was behaving strange as ****. I disconnected my sound system and had my other friend try to jump my car with his audi, and it worked. I sat there until the battery meter was up at 13 where it normally sits, and then when I tried to put it in reverse the battery meter just plummeted and the car shut off. Again with the jumping I finally got it started again and then drove home fine. When I got it home as soon as i shut it off and went to turn it back on, I had nothing, not even door locks working. Again I jumped it, let it run and then since then its started up fine no problems. Gay. So I grab my firehawk to take back up to school, and on the way I get caught in some gay little sudden ice and snow storm and someone got into an accident further up on the highway, stopping all traffic for at least an hour. So as the snow built up on the road with no traffic clearing the snow off the road it got nasty. I was driving at approximately 50mph (5 under the speed limit), when suddenly I lost traction on one wheel since the road was covered in icy snow mix, and the other one gripped, sending me sideways. I corrected the back end sliding about 3 or 4 times before i completely lost any grip on the road and headed straight for a guardrail. I managed to steer out of it in a panic but it send me spinning into a 180 in the opposite direction, so I was facing traffic coming straight at me. At this point is when I slammed on the breaks and flew backwards onto the grass median at about 30 skidding across the wet grass almost completely to the other side into traffic again. After it finally came to a stop I got out to asses the damages, and low and behold other than grass and dirt stuffed in my wheel wells, it seemed okay. To get out of the grassy median I had to floor it and get back on the highway kicking up a shitload of dirt and snow. I put on my hazards and drove at about 20mph for the rest of the way, almost loosing it again and hitting a sign when I found another little lovely ice patch. Ice + Firehawk wide ovals suck. At this point I pulled over in the nearest shopping center and had someone in an AWD audi pick me up because I knew it was going to fly into a tree or something if I kept going. There was at least 4 or 5 cars on the way back to my school that were flipped or ran right off the highway into the woods. I feel extremely lucky and unlucky at the same time. Driving to work this morning, my firehawk still seems to have a nice straight alignment and nothing seems wrong. Any hidden damages underneath that could be possible that I wouldn't notice from sliding on dirt and grass?

If anyone has any input on what could be messed up with my camaro battery or alternator or had a similar experience feel free for some input to make my day go a little better!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear that you and the car are ok. Buy a beater.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

I have a beater its my V6, but it went out of commission so I dropped it off at home cause I have winter break in one week from college so I could just mess with it then.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you have a bad connection at the battery.

These cars suck in the winter, V8 or V6 they both suck.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

My friends AWD audi a4 is an absolute snow monster, it had no problems on the way back to school. He showed me how much grip it had, even turning stability and TCS off he could not get it to break loose, it gripped as if it was a perfect summer day and the roads were sprayed with VHT.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

wow glad u and the car are alright, i tucked mine away last week just in time cuz it snowed her yesterday. driving these cars in snow is no fun, ive done it once and never again...thats the 95 taurus's job its a monster in the snow just keeps going!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stevo92z28
Sounds like you have a bad connection at the battery.

These cars suck in the winter, V8 or V6 they both suck.
My V6 A4 does quite well in the snow actually. Comes down to what tires you have and how you drive it Though it is kind of fun to smack the gas and go sideways when no one is around
Old 12-07-2008, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

My v6 is worse than the firehawk in the snow, it has no traction control!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

I honestly don't understand why everyone says these cars are so bad in the snow. Crazylegs, i can understand the firehawk cause you have summer tires on it. I'm dd'in my car and i've driven throught snow several times already, including a snowstorm driving back from school in pa to jersey. It all depends on how you drive and what tires you have. I have Blizzacks and have absolutely no problems driving in the snow. Car has no T/C either.

On a side note, it's good to hear you and the car are ok. Sounds like a harrowing experience.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, but taking out a sports car with summer tires out in winter weather is not the most intelligent thing to do. You are lucky you are alive at the moment. I drive in blizzards with my car, but I always make sure the tires suit the weather. Since it's cold, the summers are away and I'm on winter tires. There's nothing wrong with the car. You know what we say, power is useless unless you can put it on the ground, and summers will not allow you to do that in winter.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

The weather was fine when I left, not a cloud in the sky or a hint of snow. What killed it was the fact we sat in traffic from other accidents, and allowed the snow to accumulate on the highway. Just a stroke of bad luck I guess. I never even drive the firehawk in the rain unless its an unscheduled summer shower.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on your tires.. if you have great tires the car will be great in snow. Then if your rwd to fwd to awd it goes up that way, so if you have good tires you should be fine. Then also if you have awd itll just make it even better
Old 12-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JPCrazyLegs
Ice + Firehawk wide ovals suck.
Firestone wide ovals + less than 40 degrees = suck (spinning under 65mph) i had to drive my z28 in like an inch of snow in high school, and i got stuck in the parking lot on like a half inch bump of snow. a different time i had to drive on ice and the wind was blowing the back of my car around.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're okay....get a truck for the Winter!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Launching!

I dont drive when it snows, rather take the bus. I crashed my lumina going around 20 m.p.h the thing went out of control and ended up in the opposite lane hitting an suv, it would had been worse except that there was a mountain of snow that stopped me from completely destroying the suv and my car!
Old 12-07-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad everything turned out alright. Its probably just real poor grounding on the battery.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds kind of like the connection at the battery is bad. I had the same problem. Threw a battery from kragen in there, Car drove just fine, no issues at all. Then one night, went to pick up oil, and a filter.. wouldnt start. Jumped it with a jump box, let it run for a little bit. turned it off, and no start. tried jumpin it with a PT cruiser, it dimmed the lights in the PT, and nothing in my car. Tried it with another WS.6, nothing.. I had my fiance go pick up the old battery (It was the original battery, 6 years old) started right back up with that battery. Ended up going to Costco, and buying a battery.. Not a single problem since.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 AM
Launching!

^that or it could be a bad alternator, but most likey cables, glad to hear that you and the car are ok man, that **** scares me, i know what ya mean though i'm drivin my WS6 into its last winter, and i tell you it's no easy task, i got tires for it and about 300 lbs of sand bags, i suggest you do the same if you continue to drive it in the winter, once again, glad to hear that you are alight

best of luck
Old 12-08-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

be thankful you're ok man!
Old 12-08-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

mama said there would be days like these. thank god you didnt send another f body to the scrap heap.

+1 grounding

Quick Reply: Spunout and almost crashed!