General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

SS or GN

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:07 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one in the pics is the actual car? Oh hell yeah!

We own five 4th gen Camaros (sig) and I would still say buy that GN, buy it now!
Old 12-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh....just saw the pics.....um wow. PLEASE DONT USE THAT CAR AS A DAILY DRIVER
Old 12-14-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the GN and never look back. Camaros are a dime a dozen, you may never have another shot at such a beautiful GN at that price.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
hp 1/4 1/4mile speed
1987 Buick GNX 3.8L V6 T/C 300 13.26 104

2000 Chevrolet Camaro SS LS1 346 V8 325 13.5 107.3

I think its an intersting debate. We know how well the ls1 responds to mods.

Source :

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm
Thats a GNX. Good luck findin one of those you can afford. A reg GN will run high 13's low 14's. They were "rated" like 245hp or something.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Teching In

My car made 247rwhp bone stock, so i believe that they were a little "underated"
Old 12-15-2008, 05:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand National 5-0
My car made 247rwhp bone stock, so i believe that they were a little "underated"

I have seen a couple at the track run low 14's stock, so that quote makes sense. I test drove an 87 GN two years ago that was stock with 59k on the clock. The dealers wanted 12k then dropped it to 8.5k after it didn't sell for approx. 3 months. I was thinking of buying it and selling my Formula but I decided against it because of the following. The interior design is ok but definatley to dated for me.(I wife thought it was really fugly). It handled decent but not as good as my Formula. It was not as fast as I thought it was going to be, especially after 60 or so which makes sense if they only make approx. 250 rwhp and LS1's make approx. 300 rwhp. With just a chip, intake, catback, boost control (Not sure how much he was boosting the car) and some race gas the guy ended up running 12.7 (if I can recall correctly) that was running low 14's stock. I remember busting his ***** because at the time my buddies 99 Formula was running 12.3 with just bolt ons. However, if you a looking for something rare think about the GN. Good luck in your decision.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:17 AM
11 Second Club

Take the GN.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Teching In

Stock GNs boost anywhere between 12 and 15 lbs.....but it doesnt take much to make them pretty quick. The stock intercooler is really restrictive when you start to make power as ive just found out by upgrading. No offense but of course its not gonna handle as well as your formula....i was never really meant to carve corners, it was a straight line machine. and as far as mods go....i bet the guy still didnt have as much money into his car as your buddy with the formula and he was only 4 tenths slower. just gotta defend my car.....if you do the RIGHT mods you can get pretty fast for pretty cheap compared to the ls1
Old 12-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Village Idiot

Stock GNs boost anywhere between 12 and 15 lbs.....but it doesnt take much to make them pretty quick. The stock intercooler is really restrictive when you start to make power as ive just found out by upgrading. No offense but of course its not gonna handle as well as your formula....i was never really meant to carve corners, it was a straight line machine. and as far as mods go....i bet the guy still didnt have as much money into his car as your buddy with the formula and he was only 4 tenths slower. just gotta defend my car.....if you do the RIGHT mods you can get pretty fast for pretty cheap compared to the ls1

GRAND NATIONAL MOD LIST PLEASE -

Fellow GN owners what are the basic right mods you can do? Always was curious as to what mods you should do on the GN... Exhaust, increase boost, intercoolering upgrades, intake, tune, etc..?????? How about drive train mods, torque converter, shift kits, tranny, rearend, etc..???

If someone would be so kind as to break this down that would be awesome, and what gains to expect with each mod...

Oh, and I did try searching too, couldn't find the basic list......
Old 12-15-2008, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

u should keep ur SS!
Old 12-15-2008, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gn are nice *** cars but i woulnt trade,i like taking corners and straight line performance,but that is a nice *** gn,id have both
Old 12-15-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

oh....just saw the pics.....um wow. PLEASE DONT USE THAT CAR AS A DAILY DRIVER
That is what I say as well.
Buy it and store well in the garage. It'll ONLY be worth more money if not tampered with or any more miles be put on. Leave it as is!!!!
I say go for the GN if you can and have a nice dependable daily driver if possible.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know how much the GN owner spent but your right they can be made fast for cheap.

I don't know if I agree that it is cheaper to mod a GN than an LS1 if you do it RIGHT. You can buy a dry Nitrous kit off ebay for 250.00 which from what I understand has been done frequently by fellow LS1tech members and puts otherwise stock LS1's into the 11's (150 shot). Besides just because it costs less to mod a car does that mean it is any better??? Both cars are great!!! Maybe someday I will own a GN but not before I get a 03/04 Cobra.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kinda why I quoted rated

My dad has had a 87 T-type since brand new. Has 40,XXX miles on it. It would run 13.7's with no cat, K&N, and an old old school chip back from the late 80's. It hasnt seen the track in over 15 years now. But it is fun to drive. A couple years ago, before he got new tires and they were all hard, you could be doing 40 on the highway and tromp it changing lanes and the tires would let loose.

Its been garage kept since the early 90's and the paints shot. Needs some dings and crap fixed. The drivetrain needs freshening too. Ive been workin on getting it in my garage for years now. One day Ill get it. It seems easy to work on too. Not all cramped.

The first thing I would want to change is the no blow off valve set-up. It makes me cringe when you let off the gas and hear that air getting force fed back into the turbo. Im just use to my lil eclipse I guess.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
Kinda why I quoted rated

My dad has had a 87 T-type since brand new. Has 40,XXX miles on it. It would run 13.7's with no cat, K&N, and an old old school chip back from the late 80's. It hasnt seen the track in over 15 years now. But it is fun to drive. A couple years ago, before he got new tires and they were all hard, you could be doing 40 on the highway and tromp it changing lanes and the tires would let loose.

Its been garage kept since the early 90's and the paints shot. Needs some dings and crap fixed. The drivetrain needs freshening too. Ive been workin on getting it in my garage for years now. One day Ill get it. It seems easy to work on too. Not all cramped.

The first thing I would want to change is the no blow off valve set-up. It makes me cringe when you let off the gas and hear that air getting force fed back into the turbo. Im just use to my lil eclipse I guess.

Its been proven over the years that adding a blow off valve to the turbo regal, does nothing for the life of the turbo or for performance. And to be honest i think its an awesome sound, and to put a blow off valve on it would kinda be ricy.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup... no blow off needed... My rather LARGE snail sounds amazing when I get out of it after boost... everyone says my car sounds like its laughing at them.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

99SS, have you figured out which way you're gonna go?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, I might start looking for one now
Old 12-16-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Does this car happen to be located in Kansas?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Teching In

I've always wanted one and would ditch the Goat in a heartbeat if I had a DD. Am I right in thinking that it'd be best to have a dependable daily driver along with a GN or would a GN do alright as a DD?