General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: What are your opinions?
Royal Purple
45.38%
Mobil 1
54.62%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Royal Purple or Mobil 1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used to run the mobil 1 crap until i switched over to the pennzoil synthetic. quieted the valvetrain down,less oil consumption,and it stays cleaner a lot longer.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used M1 at first. had the nastiest tick youve ever heard. then i learned what garbage M1 is. switched to GC, and it ENDED the tick, and gave me more oil pressure throughout the rev range.

if you STILL buy into their marketing bullshit, read up bobistheoilguy.com and learn for yourself. do a search for patman and his oil analyisis results. im not going to do your work for you.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Are there better synthetic oils that M1? sure. Ive read many studies on various different sites, while mobil1 is not first ranked it is certainly not garbage. ANY synthetic based oil changed at the proper interval will do the job.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Almost any reputable oil research your going to find, will put amsoil at #1 and M1 at #2 for majority of the tests. Redline is great but far to expensive and royal purple has caused many transmission problems with there synthetic atf fluid. Weird that bobtheoilguys #1 sponsor is Amsoil who happens to be mobile1s #1 competitor. As far as your guys tick with mobile 1 and then it stopping with another brand are they the same viscosity, same oil filter? thanks

Last edited by 87tpita; 12-22-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 87tpita
Almost any reputable oil research your going to find, will put amsoil at #1 and M1 at #2 for majority of the tests. Redline is great but far to expensive and royal purple has caused many transmission problems with there synthetic atf fluid. As far as your guys tick with mobile 1 and then it stopping with another brand are they the same viscosity, same oil filter? thanks
I'd like a link to said tests. Because most have put M1 FAR down the list......

And why would you put their ATF in your man-trans, when they have a specially formulated fluid for our cars? Which, btw, I've used with GREAT results in multiple F-Bodies and Honda products. I personally won't use anything else. Ever.

As for their ATF in an auto, I've had GREAT luck with it before, but auto trannies have less to do with fluid, and more to do with how the trans is assembled and what components are used.

Mobil 1 is ******* garbage, and I'll never use it, ever again. After watching my old LSX firebird go from burning a quart every 1500 miles, to ZERO oil consumption, just from switching from Mobil to RP, same viscosity/filter/driving habits/climate. I wouldn't use that junk in my worst enemy's car.

To the OP, if you trust your engine to any old oil, get ready to trust it to any old joe schmoe to be rebuilding it. Oil matters. Don't skimp, and you'll be rewarded in the long run.

Personal preference for me is either RP, Amsoil, or Castrol.

Last edited by Speed Kills; 12-22-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use 10w30 royal purple, ATF royal purple, and the gear oil version. I think it's good stuff.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Almost any reputable oil research your going to find, will put amsoil at #1 and M1 at #2 for majority of the tests. Redline is great but far to expensive and royal purple has caused many transmission problems with there synthetic atf fluid. Weird that bobtheoilguys #1 sponsor is Amsoil who happens to be mobile1s #1 competitor. As far as your guys tick with mobile 1 and then it stopping with another brand are they the same viscosity, same oil filter? thanks

Do yourself a favor and listen to ECHO. Those tests your finding are usually garbage and biased. German Castrol aka GC 0w-30 is far superior to Mobil1, and many oil analyst tests have proven it. Mobil1 is simply living off its name alone, of everyone thinking it's the best. Truth is Exxon/Mobil hasn't kept up with the new advances and are calling their Group III oils "full synthetics".

GC is very hard to find and isn't well known. It's made in Germany but packaged just like the Castrol Synthc Oils, so most tests are done with the american version giving bad results. I believe actually the only true full synthetics are gc 0w30 and amsoil 0w-30/40. Redline and Rp are both good also but cannot be ran nearly as long as the gc and amsoil can due to being formulated for racing.

Personally I run GC in the ls1 and will never look back after patmans results. If I am going to pay $6 a quart I will be getting my moneys worth and not wasting it on Mobil1.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

Ive read quite a few articles since and stand by M1 is better for a daily driver than is rp( less shearing, less break down over extended time frame). However Ill admit I have read quite alot of new test data thats not putting M1 where it used to be. Pennzoil syn seems to outperform it in most areas,valvoline syn same thing,, sickening as it may be mobile 1 drive clean outperformed it as well in a few areas... I think Ill be switching to amsoil ...
Old 12-23-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive read quite a few articles since and stand by M1 is better for a daily driver than is rp( less shearing, less break down over extended time frame). However Ill admit I have read quite alot of new test data thats not putting M1 where it used to be. Pennzoil syn seems to outperform it in most areas,valvoline syn same thing,, sickening as it may be mobile 1 drive clean outperformed it as well in a few areas... I think Ill be switching to amsoil ...

amsoil = $$$$

I use Pennzoil Platinum in my GTP. It is showing very good results and is very cheap.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for everyone backing me up. and to answer 87pita, all i did was switch from M1 5w30 to GC 0w30, and the tick IMMEDIATLEY stopped. from pulling the car into the garage to start up after the oil change, it was gone, and never came back. M1 5w30 is an extremely thin oil, more a 20 weight then 30. GC 0w30 is a thick 30, which is exactly what LS1s like and need. like i said, i gave away about 10qts of M1 when i switched to GC. autozone carries GC, and so does my local strauss - and its even cheaper there. autozone will also have their oil change specials with GC. 5qts, plus a K&N filter for around $30. normally the oil alone will cost more then $30.

keep in mind the M1 used in racing is nothing like what you buy off the rack. most any pure race oil is something like a straight 40 or 50. no cold rating at all. thats why when you watch a NASCAR race, before the race starts every car has this massive toolbox looking thing behind them. thats the oil warmer/circulator, and also warms/circulates the rear end fluid, trans, etc. those oils are used only at high temps, never on a cold start.

i wouldnt hesitate to use GC in a daily driven LS1. look at patmans results.....hes gotten analyisis advice to increase oil changes to 7000 miles with GC, and likewise with penz plat. thats with alot of ideling, traffic, several drag passes, etc. you might be paying double the price for GC, but you get at least double the safe life out of it, thereby equaling out or coming out ahead in the long run.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Launching!

When I switched from Mobil 1 5w30 to Pennzoil Platinum 5w30, I got 10 psi more oil pressure at idle when hot and cold. That was also before I found out I had 2 shot cylinders. Also switched from mobil 1 in my Sunfire to valvoline maxlife and my oil consumption greatly slowed. I used to love Mobil 1, but it seems something has changed. It no longer is in any of my 4 cars.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have always put Mobile 1 in my bird and have never had any problems or anything. Great oil pressure, doesn't overburn oil or anything. I guess I will looking into other brands after reading this but I have never had a problem with Mobile 1.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy whatever synthetic oil Autozone has on sale and change my oil every 4k miles.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
I buy whatever synthetic oil Autozone has on sale and change my oil every 4k miles.
I recently got the autozone pennzoil syn. w/ filter and valvoline syn w/filter for $25 each. Thats a steal and after all the research Ive recently read I wasnt losing anything changing from my usuall M1
Old 12-23-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

to all those who use mobil1, watch these two videos.
mobil1 is sold at wal-mart and wal-mart=JUNK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC2snrIAU2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZxiDsL36jA

royal purple every 2,000 miles for me! i change it early because i am very hard on my car EVERY DAY!

Last edited by sixpack_2_go; 12-25-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 505 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
That's the key. Changing the oil. I've changed my dino oil every 2,000 miles since purchasing my '96 Formula new 12+ years ago. I continue to do the same in my '01 T/A. Dino oil came in it from the factory on both cars. Never an engine issue with either car. I also believe that the dealership's GM synthetic oil is actually M1. This is what the local Chevy service guy told me. Again, the key is changing the oil. If you are ultra hard on your car then perhaps it is smart to do the extended research done by a few posting here. You can not argue with success, but a major component missing in the banter back and forth is the driving habits of the owner. No way GM is putting bad oil in our cars. Also to the poster that states Walmart sells junk, that is really a stretch because they sell Castrol synthetic, Valvoline synthetic, and AC/Delco filters just to name a few decent brands. The Castrol 5w-30 is the same oil that BMW puts in their cars and recommends in the owner's manual. You can buy it cheap at Walmart or buy it for double at the dealership.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I used to use Mobil 1 but now im with the Royal Purple crew
Old 12-25-2008, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Royal purple
Old 12-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Restricted User

I think royal purple is just overrated!!! just like SLP!

MOBILE 1 FOR ME!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sixpack_2_go
to all those who use mobil1, watch these two videos.
mobil1 is sold at wal-mart and wal-mart=JUNK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC2snrIAU2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZxiDsL36jA

royal purple every 2,000 miles for me! i change it early because i am very hard on my car EVERY DAY!
good vids, i think it all depends on searchin first for a good oil n then payin attention to what the car likes.
im gonna use rp next time

Quick Reply: Royal Purple or Mobil 1?