General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: What are your opinions?
Royal Purple
45.38%
Mobil 1
54.62%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Royal Purple or Mobil 1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

OK I'll bite, fill me in.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Mobil 1. And no oil is not just oil, sure conventional will work just fine in your car, but it gunks up and leaves deposits over time.

You really think synthetic oil is a scam? Give me a break guys
Old 02-06-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your an idiot if you think oil is just oil. ITS NOT. Mobil 1 is SERIOUSLY lacking in the ZDDP department. It only contains roughly 2/3rds what it should, and IS NOT fully synthetic. My truck burned Mobil 1 like a ****. Probably 1 quart every 500 miles, if not more. One day I checked it and it was 2 quarts low! I only had a few bucks on me and had to get the cheap **** to add some oil (Autozone namebrand ****), and it hasn't burned that much since. Pretty sad on Mobil 1's part since its supposed to be this great oil. Its really not. I only run German Castrol or Pennzoil Platinum now. No problems what so ever. If you want some informative UOA info, go over to LS1 and read Sarges threads on oil. I'm not gonna lie, Mobil 1 WAS a good oil when it was fully synthetic, but its not anymore, and its not a good oil. AT ALL. Neither is RP. Oh, and that Valvoline commercial that says its 8x better than Mobil 1, its TRUE. I've read the comparisons and seen the test.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Redline has always treated me good. Royal Purple's break in oil works very well.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Launching!

i run mobil 1. one time i ran royal purple and it doesnt seem like its worth the couple dollars more a quart that is over mobil 1. so thats my 2 cents mobil 1 every time i change the oil and mobil 1 oil filter too.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Default german castrol dumdumdum

First of all i agree with you SQUEE, oil is not just oil. there are different brand of oils that CLAIM their oil is synthetic but they are now in the case of Mobil 1. It used to be back in the day but they slowly went down to Group III oils and it starte with their 5w-30 and now the whole line of oils. now Group 4 oils are synthtic and group 5 oils are the best synthetic. Now here is a list

Group III base stocks have similar characteristics to Group II base stocks, except that Group III base stocks have higher viscosity indexes. Group III oils are produced by further hydrocracking of Group II base stocks, or of hydroisomerized slack wax. Manufacturers label Group III oils as standard motor oil or as synthetic in the US for marketing purposes. It depends on the level of refinement and additive pack. The ACEA in Europe does not allow a Group III oil to be labeled as “synthetic”. The only group 3 oil i would use is the Penzoil platinum because of the additive pack it contain is just the best found in group 3 oil

1. Penzoil Platinum $$5.50 - 6 dllrs / quart

Group IV base stocks are polyalphaolefins (PAO). These were the 1st synthetic oils produced

1. Castol European Formula ( Aka German Castrol )IT ONLY COMES IN 0W-30. Before any one thinks its too thin is one of the best oils for your lt1 and ls1 and did i forget to mention IT A TRUE SYNTHETIC $$5.50-6.00 Found at Your local Autozone

2. Royal purple $$ 9-10 dllrs/quart
3. Amsoil $$9-10 dllrs / quart

Group V is a catch all group for any other synthetic base stocks. Examples of Group V base stocks include polyol esters (POE), polyalkylene glycols (PAG oils), and perfluoropolyalkylethers (PFPAEs). In addition, base stocks using Fischer-Tropsch-synthesis (gas-to-liquid) fall in this group.

1. Red Line Synthetic Oils $$ 9+ dllrs / quart Top Of The Line Oil

Now the question the everybody asks "Every how many miles should i change my SYNTHETIC oi?
Well if fall in the Group 4-5 8,000 -12,000 miles but i would personally change it every 8,000. I personally use German Castrol 0w-30 in my 450rwhp 89 toyota supra and 97 trans am and change the oil every 8k miles and filter every 4k with a Purolator Pure One . With that being said THE OIL FILTER NEEDS TO BE CHANGED EVERY 4,000 MILES with a good filter. By good filter we have done test and Purolator Pure One, Nappa Wix filter are better made and stand their ground for $ 5-7 dllrs with the $12 dllrs k&n and mobile 1 filters well if you have any questions POST IT UP .
Old 02-08-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WARDOG
First of all i agree with you SQUEE, oil is not just oil. there are different brand of oils that CLAIM their oil is synthetic but they are now in the case of Mobil 1. It used to be back in the day but they slowly went down to Group III oils and it starte with their 5w-30 and now the whole line of oils. now Group 4 oils are synthtic and group 5 oils are the best synthetic. Now here is a list

Group III base stocks have similar characteristics to Group II base stocks, except that Group III base stocks have higher viscosity indexes. Group III oils are produced by further hydrocracking of Group II base stocks, or of hydroisomerized slack wax. Manufacturers label Group III oils as standard motor oil or as synthetic in the US for marketing purposes. It depends on the level of refinement and additive pack. The ACEA in Europe does not allow a Group III oil to be labeled as “synthetic”. The only group 3 oil i would use is the Penzoil platinum because of the additive pack it contain is just the best found in group 3 oil

1. Penzoil Platinum $$5.50 - 6 dllrs / quart

Group IV base stocks are polyalphaolefins (PAO). These were the 1st synthetic oils produced

1. Castol European Formula ( Aka German Castrol )IT ONLY COMES IN 0W-30. Before any one thinks its too thin is one of the best oils for your lt1 and ls1 and did i forget to mention IT A TRUE SYNTHETIC $$5.50-6.00 Found at Your local Autozone

2. Royal purple $$ 9-10 dllrs/quart
3. Amsoil $$9-10 dllrs / quart

Group V is a catch all group for any other synthetic base stocks. Examples of Group V base stocks include polyol esters (POE), polyalkylene glycols (PAG oils), and perfluoropolyalkylethers (PFPAEs). In addition, base stocks using Fischer-Tropsch-synthesis (gas-to-liquid) fall in this group.

1. Red Line Synthetic Oils $$ 9+ dllrs / quart Top Of The Line Oil

Now the question the everybody asks "Every how many miles should i change my SYNTHETIC oi?
Well if fall in the Group 4-5 8,000 -12,000 miles but i would personally change it every 8,000. I personally use German Castrol 0w-30 in my 450rwhp 89 toyota supra and 97 trans am and change the oil every 8k miles and filter every 4k with a Purolator Pure One . With that being said THE OIL FILTER NEEDS TO BE CHANGED EVERY 4,000 MILES with a good filter. By good filter we have done test and Purolator Pure One, Nappa Wix filter are better made and stand their ground for $ 5-7 dllrs with the $12 dllrs k&n and mobile 1 filters well if you have any questions POST IT UP .
Thank God someone knows what there talking about. Only thing is though, I thought Pennzoil Platinum was fully synthetic Group IV?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mobil 1 doesn't even use a full synthetic base stock anymore. Recently changed. RP is just plain better, although it can be costly.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ice78Transam
Mobil 1 doesn't even use a full synthetic base stock anymore. Recently changed. RP is just plain better, although it can be costly.
I think that was covered already, but RP isn't all that great. The shear rate is higher than Pennzoil Platinum. Its to slick and just runs off the internals.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

i prefer royal purple... I used RP with prior oil changes and it is great. I love it. But my last oil change was with M1. Not that it caused any problems but on cold start up, i hear the valvetrain a lot more. With RP i never had that problem. I am switching back to RP or Amsoil ASAP. At the same price as RP i'd like to give Amsoil a try. Those are the top 2 synthetics. Never again will i go with M1 though, just wanted to try it.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by squee
My truck burned Mobil 1 like a ****. Probably 1 quart every 500 miles, if not more. One day I checked it and it was 2 quarts low! I only had a few bucks on me and had to get the cheap **** to add some oil (Autozone namebrand ****), and it hasn't burned that much since. Pretty sad on Mobil 1's part since its supposed to be this great oil. Its really not. I only run German Castrol or Pennzoil Platinum now. No problems what so ever. If you want some informative UOA info, go over to LS1 and read Sarges threads on oil. I'm not gonna lie, Mobil 1 WAS a good oil when it was fully synthetic, but its not anymore, and its not a good oil. AT ALL. Neither is RP. Oh, and that Valvoline commercial that says its 8x better than Mobil 1, its TRUE. I've read the comparisons and seen the test.
i agree there man.. i have m1 in my truck now and told me CHECK ENGINE OIL.. wtf? And that was like 2000 miles after the change. M1 is out. AMsOil or RP in.

That valvoline commercial is based on comparison of Valvoline Synthetic to conventional M1, not synthetic M1. But either way its probably better
Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Default german castrol dumdumdum

Pennzoil Platinum switched from a gas-to-liquid synthetic base to Group III

Old 02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

I guess I'm the oddball and run valvoline max life synthetic? So far it's been good to me, and the engine wasn't even really all that dirty when I seafoamed it about 4 months ago.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Ive really noticed M1 burning ALOT more in the last couple of oil changes, so it must have gotten less quality
Old 02-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Teching In

GC dumdumdum, it's what I use in my car. I tried M1, but it got "dirty" way quicker.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was a devout Mobile 1 user, but after much research on various forums, I'm switching to German-made Castrol Syntec for my new T/A. Royal Purple just seems a bit expensive.

Totally unrelated to the LSx, but I was using Mobile 1 every 3,000 miles on my 05 Tacoma, and I recently switched to cheaper US-made Castrol Syntec, and it was much smoother on cold start ups. I can see why BMW uses Castrol now.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:19 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Isn't German Castrol just as expensive as Royal Purple?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

No. Pretty sure its cheaper. But its also better. RP isn't that great.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by myk
Isn't German Castrol just as expensive as Royal Purple?
GC is the same price as US-made Castrol Syntec at my local autozone. $6.99/qt
Old 02-25-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 843 Likes on 645 Posts

Mobil 1 0W30 and 0W40 are group 4 oils.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple or Mobil 1?